Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Help an audio upgrade noob out

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by feared
what's your budget? i can help you piece something together that's worth your time/budget, shoot me a pm, i'll be more than happy to help you out.

audio was my thing before i got my fit
Ideally, a little over a grand. Seems to me I could get a sweet headunit, amp, and sub for $800ish, and hopefully I could get it all installed for ~$300.

That's really nice of you, but as far as time goes not only do I not have time to spend hours outside in the cold, it also gets dark pretty quick after I get home from work still and I simply don't trust myself with the taking apart and wiring of my new car. I'd kill myself if I screwed something up.

It is really helpful to get advice from people who know what they're doing, so thanks

Originally Posted by krakhed
Sound Ordnance just launched if i'm not mistaken. They took up primo real estate on Crutchfield to launch...who/what they are...no clue. Honestly haven't checked. sometimes those non brand names are simply manufactured by a major brand with different labels...kinda like cars.

as far as work on installing it...yea February would be a beast for you up there lol

honestly $200 for the HU might wind up being a sweeter spot for you as far as function/ability on it but i don't know how you want to play this all out.

You could go

HU only

HU/Speaker Upgrade

HU/Speaker/Amp upgrade

HU/Speakers/Amp/Sub upgrade

it's all in how you want to float your boat, ya know?
Well, basically I'd be playing most of my music through the aux in with a simple 3.5mm jack. Occasionally I'll put a CD in.

I was thinking I'd skip the speaker upgrade part for now and just amp the speakers and get a sub. I think the current speakers are alright, really I just want more power and subbass. If I'm dissatisfied it won't be hard to throw in new speakers.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Alright, I'm re-prioritizing since the prices and ideas are all over the place.

What do you think of this:

- Keep stock stereo/speakers/tweeters

-MTX Audio Re-Q ($75):
MTX Audio re-Q (REQ) (req) Factory Sound Processors Factory Stereo (OEM) Integration Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

-----------
Option A:

Kicker 07TC104 + Kicker 08ZX300.1 combo ($252):
Kicker 07TC104 + Kicker 08ZX300.1 (07tc104_08zx3001) Amplified, Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure Systems Enclosed Car Subwoofer Systems Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

Or, if that's not enough/deep enough bass, option B:

400w mono kicker amp:
Kicker 08ZX400.1 (08zx4001) Mono Subwoofer Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix ($200)
or 250w JL audio mono amp:
JL Audio J2 250.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

+

10" angled ported kicker sub:
Kicker 08TS10L52 Non-Amplified, Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure Systems Enclosed Car Subwoofer Systems Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix ($220)
or
JL Audio 12" angled ported sub:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136S112...v2.html?tp=112
------------

My questions here are... would the bass just drown out the rest of the sound in a setup like this (especially option B)? I love the idea of the 10" or 12" ported sub, it's only 10/11" wide at the base which saves me a lot of space.

Any comments/suggestions/criticisms/whatevers?

Last edited by bovineblitz; 02-12-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
If budget lets get option B. I personally don't use ported since it has a droning effect. I like sealed box for that boom effect. Your best bet is to hear ported and sealed for yourself. If you get a sealed and you don't like it you can always drill a hole to make it ported. Just make sure the sub can be used for that reason.

I know a lot of ppl will push you to get a HU which I am also deciding now, but like many things you have to see how the budget is. If anything, if your just adding bass you might as well get some decent components. All bass is nice, but if you can't hear the mids and highs it gets annoying. Not to mention powering the stock speakers is not advised IMO. All that work just to power stock spaekers is going to hinder your sound.

I know there is a couple of shops that make boxes and are very cheap, but good quality. I would see if you can buy the sub and box seperately. Hell if your handy enough you can make your own with the specs for the sub.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by danger69
If budget lets get option B. I personally don't use ported since it has a droning effect. I like sealed box for that boom effect. Your best bet is to hear ported and sealed for yourself. If you get a sealed and you don't like it you can always drill a hole to make it ported. Just make sure the sub can be used for that reason.

I know a lot of ppl will push you to get a HU which I am also deciding now, but like many things you have to see how the budget is. If anything, if your just adding bass you might as well get some decent components. All bass is nice, but if you can't hear the mids and highs it gets annoying. Not to mention powering the stock speakers is not advised IMO. All that work just to power stock spaekers is going to hinder your sound.

I know there is a couple of shops that make boxes and are very cheap, but good quality. I would see if you can buy the sub and box seperately. Hell if your handy enough you can make your own with the specs for the sub.
Hm. I was thinking ported to get maximum output, but tightness is important too. I listen to a lot of dubstep and drum n bass (think hip-hop but with more drums and very low bass), so I was thinking mainly power. But now thinking about it more idk.

Maybe I should get components to even it up. Idk. I'd need a 4ch amp then and it'd be a lot more work (and thus $ since I'll be paying someone to do it). I suppose if I go with a 12" I really should upgrade the speakers. 10", maybe not.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 PM
If what you are after is a balanced sound augmented by serious bass you will have no choice but to replace the factory speakers. And no amount of signal hijacking by a RE-Q or Cleansweep will make up for the deficiencies of the OE HU. On a non sport model HU what can you adjust? Bass, Treble, Left, Right, Front, Back, and Volume. You don't even have the preset EQ of the Sport to mess with. There is simply no way to get decent balanced sound out of so simple a HU. Adding a 10" (or larger) sub is going to turn your car into a trim rattling bass blaster with no sonic detail at all. Not trying to bag on your ideas at all, I just don't want you to wander too far down the wrong path. Save your money, do your research, bide your time. Your stereo is functional (if unsatisfying) right now, in the spring you will have more money, more time, and more knowledge to make the right choice. And please realize, that just because a shop charges top dollar for their services doesn't gaurantee anything. It was a local shop that charged me $400 bucks for an install that looked like it was done by monkeys that forced me to do my own install for the first time.

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 02-12-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: me no spel rite
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
So true grtpumpkin. I walk in to shops and browse and look at cars they are working on. Of course word of mouth is always good.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM
i just pulled my factory speakers (if thats what you want to call them) stretched paper mounted to plastic fastener~! crap! also, the magnets are like soda pop screw on lids~! ridiculous! As for subs....I am using a kenwood 1000w mono class D, and pushing a punch 10 (older but ok for now) in a sealed enclosure. Waaay loud in that little car. now i getting the speakers done then I will get the head unit. I did the speakers first 1. easy 2. cheap 3. waiting for install help with HU.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 AM
The labor cost is crazy, i'm having the stock speakers in my GD3 replaced and the shops here don't charge anything for labor at all. Reading through what the stock speaker looks like just makes me want to replace it sooner. I already have a 12" kicker solobaric on with a lightning audio amp, it's providing pretty good bass but i want to have a better clarity set-up.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Alrightie well, I let this die because I was undecided and thought I'd give it more to marinate in my head.

In the meantime, I came across these items for free:
Kenwood KSC-7701 10" Subwoofers In A Speaker Box

(^not the one pictured, obviously)

and:
Soundstream Reference 160s Amp

manual: http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/A...0/r160_200.pdf

They're pretty old but as far as I know they're working... can these two items be married into a happy union for some super cheap 'oomph'?