Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

aftermarket componet in doors:>

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 AM
aftermarket componet in doors:>

well, i finally started a weak thread, but any help would be appreciated. i am sticking 6.5 in the doors and I am having trouble seeing where i would be putting the tweeter. if any of yall have pics you could post of your set ups that would be just fantastic. or atleast a brief description of the install. i would like not to ruin my panels and shibby up the door harness as well. thanks again.

NHBP 07 GD3
fujita intake
HKS exhaust
brembo rotors

Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
You referring to the front doors or the rear? Is your Fit a Sport or a Base? If you are using aftermarket components you probably won't be using the factory harness.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
it depends on if you have the 6 speaker setup for the Sports or a base which has the 4 speaker.

The 6 has tweeters in the dash. They do make speakers with tweeters built in so you can keep a factory look. With the airbags in the A pillar and B pillar, it would make wiring near impossible if you want tweeter components anywhere high in the car.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
He has an 07 GD the tweeters (if he has them) would be in the door right below the mirror. Be aware that if your replacement speakers do not have a crossover you will not be using the OE wiring to the tweeters. Instead you use the OE wiring for the drivers and then connect the tweeters with the wire that comes with the new speakers. If you get this part wrong(as I did initially) then all the music will try to come out of the tweeters. This is not good BTW. Hope that helps....

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I mounted the driver and tweeter in the stock locations on mine. I was even able to reuse the factory grille for the tweeter. Crossovers are behind the door panel.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
sorry i didnt get back right away, my sons birthday party at good ole chucky e cheeses'. anyway, i have the base 4 speaker set up. But i was looking at the area right below the little window. (triangle shaped area) black plastic. did you guys just mount the tweeter flush or did you guys have a surface mount? also, how much room is actually there in the door. I am going to pull the door panel tomorrow. did anyone have pics? Id love to see some panels with their setup. ohyeah, please>

Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 AM
well just to clarify, i have the stock base GD. 4 speaker. I want componets in the front and leave the coax in the rear. Thanks for the info on the harness. I planned on yanking that anyway. i totally get the point on the air bag deal. I was wondering about it. I hoped to keep the tweeter semi near the woofer on the panel and forget pulling dashes or other plastic on the car for right now.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
There aren't any airbags behind the A-pillar, they are above the door behind the headliner.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
my bad, i have a ge8 and thats where my airbags are. I didnt know he had a gd3 until after he responded back. On the ge8 the tweeters are near the windshield on the dash. odd positioning but i guess the acoustics of the windshield direct it to me.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 PM
yeah, that sums it up. thanks for the input. greatly appreciated. the one thing is that the airbag wiring and activator harness is in the a pillar. close to the roof/corner. i should be talking about waaay lower on the door panel itself. i havent done componets in my vehicles in over 10 years. so i guess thats why i need some motivation/direction before drilling into my door panels. my last set of componets were clarion 5 1/4. in a mazda years earlier. the latest were my boston acoustics coax in my civic. these MB quarts i got now were on super cheap and i decided...what the heck. lets see if they can work out. if i could ever get my pics on the computer to get on the site. i would start to show you guys and gals. the pics. i may have my brother in law help in that regard.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
MBquarts? the new ones by Maxxsonic or w/e? how are they?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
hey accord, yeah they are the newer ones. (new stocking numbers) maxxsonic is a pretty decent company with tons of labels under their belt. like i said, years earlier, MB Quarts were the bees knees! now i dunno. weeelll seeee. I do like that they come with silk tweeters instead of the harsh tinfoil so common on others. that reminds me, i got some 6x9s in my civic to replace the ole alpines i had earlier. they were Xtreme from directed. (DEI) the bass was excellent but the tweeters were like fingernails on a chalkboard. in that, i feel that silk would be a better choice since our cabins are so much smaller.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
There is a wealth of room between the door panel and the actual door once you have them off. I surface mounted my tweeters in the spot occupied by the OE tweeter (my car in a Sport 6 speaker) The Alpines are larger than the OE stuff so I had to improvise. I don't have any pics of the speaker install, as the great snowmageddon occured the day after i finished. I will post some pics of the finished product in a few days though.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
wow, the tweeters went in very well and easy. now, i didnt realize that i had to make so much room in the woofer area for the aftermarket sized baskets. crazy setup. first, taking off the door panel has been a test of patience. then to find out, honda got the 6 1-2 speakers from another planet. WTF!!!
now i have to get the appropriate spacer and hope that it fits behind my door panel. now i really miss the EJ models. sooo much easier to work on. who knows what those japanese engineers were thinking. have you guys seen those factory speakers? worthless on the base model. the magnet in the back is about the size of a soda bottle top! and the paper is already dried out after 3 years. i hope to finish the doors soon. im really tired of this. gonna move on to the amp for the subwoofer.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Is a spacer needed to mount the 6 1/2 speaker in the door? Let us know how much room you need to mount the speakers. I am thinking of making my own spacer but if someone has a template that would be great. I've been lagging on my audio project for super long.

Smeister reused the OEM basket.
Honda Fit DIY and Reviews by smeister13: DIY: Install 6.5" Component Speakers using OEM Bracket

Last edited by danger69; 02-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Are you finally get the tweeters on?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
well, i read the blog and didnt get it! why the zip ties and not screws? also, the mounting depth from the oe speaker to the door itself is 1in. a 1 in spacer should fit? hmmm. i guess i need to get a dedicated dremel for this car. lol.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:00 PM
My Alpine Type S components came with a 1/2 inch spacer that was all I needed. I drilled two holes in the door and used the supplied sheet metal screws to secure the driver to the door. AMEN about the OE speakers, it is simply amazing to me that they made any sound at all. They weigh about three ounces apiece! And I used a long screwdriver to bust them loose of the door ( I wasn't planning on reusing them for anything anyway....

Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
well for a daily buletin... the basket on the 6 1/2s were about 1 in too long on these. I am having to go to town and get a 1in spacer. hope they are cheap.also, the plastic mount for the OE speaker is 1 in. id use that but the diameter of the componet woofer is about 1/8 larger and would not fit. sooo, now ive got tweeters mounted on the little black plastic area next to the window but wires hangin inside the panel.... sucks.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Bear in mind that the spacer doesn't have to be made of titanium or anything, you can use stuff you may have laying around in a pinch. I got my stuff working perfectly and now my passengers door panel rattles like a stinking maraca with the bass! I have never been so happy to have this problem BTW.....

Quick Reply: aftermarket componet in doors:>