Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

speaker suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
speaker suggestion?

oh goodie, cut up my hands to install some components to find the X-over is dead on one of them and the sound just okay.. dissapointing for such a prestigious brand. Well ths speakers ARE about 10 years old so i cant really bag on them. Diamond Audio M561s. They used to be on my cousin's car new when i was a little kid and what i remembered from my childhood rang back today... the highs were a bit too ringy from the aluminum tweeters. I also think the metallic drivers lacked a warm, sincere sound. It's almost cold and lifeless

I have great speakers at home, Paradigm 5SEMK3s and they are kinda like my baseline for the car. The sound isnt perfect granted im using a ghetto Sony receiver, but the ultra flat response and outstanding imaging leaves its mark. It's sound is a little laid back and very warm, i think i enjoy silk tweeters more after experiencing the aluminum ones, especially once the volume kicks up. Of course that may just be this specific set though.

im trying not to spend TOO much, hopefully 150-350ish and want to achieve that same kind of quality. Good image, Neutral, Warm, smooth and accurate reproduction. Too many speakers out there and it's a bit hard to sift through all the info online, especially since alot of the info is kinda old

Last edited by accordguyintake; 01-28-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
okay, so crossover and midbass are fine, tweeter on one side was not working. ghetto rigged a different brand silk tweeter in and went for a listen. Low to mid volumes are pleasant but turn it up and it's just plain annoying. Went online and many people say it's just the aluminum dome tweeters that cause harshness... tomorrow gonna swap out the other soda can and try both sides with some old JL Audio 3/4'' silks i have laying around. Also will turn the treble to -2 on the crossovers

Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
It'd probably be better to go to an Car Audio specific forum but components I've been looking at are:

1. Phoenix Gold RSD65
2. Cadence CWM6
3. CDT-CL61a

But those are all way below your price range.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Might want to look at shallow mount or spacers, I read in a review someone said he had depth issues with his '08 sport when putting in some Pioneer 6.5's.