Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Looking for a new head unit.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Smile Looking for a new head unit.....

A buddy of mine got a new head unit for his Expedition at Wally world for 150. It is a dual brand with a motor that brings out a lcd screen and dvd player. Looks great and seems to work great. I cannot find anything like it. Any tips or deals people are aware of....?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 AM
I have been installing professionally for a few years, and trust me, the reliability and quality of Dual products are on par with a soiled diaper. Don't be a cheap-skate, its a waste of your time, money, and effort. You can get a perfectly good quality unit by a more trustworthy company like Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, Pioneer, etc. for the same amount of money. (/end rant)

Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Col. Mustard
I have been installing professionally for a few years, and trust me, the reliability and quality of Dual products are on par with a soiled diaper. Don't be a cheap-skate, its a waste of your time, money, and effort. You can get a perfectly good quality unit by a more trustworthy company like Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, Pioneer, etc. for the same amount of money. (/end rant)
how do you feel about Jensen units....?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I have experienced similar quality and reliability issues with Jensen. And as a note, avoid any inexpensive unit with any type of motorized face, it's likely to fail a lot sooner than a non-motorized one.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I put a JVC KD-AHD59 in my Fit a couple of weeks ago. I really like it. Great sound. Plays cd and mp3's. Built in HD Radio, Built in Ipod/Iphone controls, front usb port, Sat radio ready. All the correct outputs onthe back if you want to add and extra amp and subs later. About 1000x better quality than the factory radio.

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

Got free shipping, free wiring harness and antenna adapter and got the Metra dash kit for 1/2 price. Also found a $20 off coupon on line. The only thing I am not 100% happy about is the fit of the Metra dash kit. The gaps are a little too big, but I think I can make it better. I bent several of the clips that hold the dash kit in place when removing the factory radio. (you reuse the stock clips). I tried to bend them back to original shape, but the tension was gone. Tip: go to your local Honda dealer and buy new clips before you start. 37 cents each. I got new ones (they had them the next day). I will pull the dask kit and install the new clips in the next couple of days.

The JVC can overpower the stock speakers if turned all the way up. I plan on adding 2 pairs of Polk Audio db651S speakers in the next couple of weeks to solve that issue.