Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Urgent HU Install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Urgent HU Install Help!

first off, long time lurker, just registered here today as i finally need some help!

driving an 07 honda fit sport, 5-speed, silver, etc etc.

alright basically i'm trying to pull off the original head unit and i'm stuck! i got the AC control buttons on the right out, and the airbag light on the left out, the bottom cover is off and the two screws deep down in there ( 8mm) are already removed. now the damn thing wont budge.

here's where i'm at

how the heck does this thing come off?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
As a long time lurker I'm sure you have seen someone else post this. Use the search, please. There are about eighteen threads referencing how to remove the HU in the GD, including at least one with pictures that I'm sure will give you exactly what you need. Good luck! And welcome to the site.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
As a long time lurker I'm sure you have seen someone else post this. Use the search, please. There are about eighteen threads referencing how to remove the HU in the GD, including at least one with pictures that I'm sure will give you exactly what you need. Good luck! And welcome to the site.

hey, sorry bout that... the only reason it was urgent was because my sunlight was running out, otherwise i would have spent more time searching

i ended up just forcing the damn thing off. worked like a charm. those clips are little sunsabitches!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
If the clips are all that was holding you up then you did OK! Take care when you put everything back together that you do not stretch the AC control cables too much. Its not the end of the world if you do, just that your AC control knobs might not want to go back to their original positions. Take some pics of your new radio!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
If the clips are all that was holding you up then you did OK! Take care when you put everything back together that you do not stretch the AC control cables too much. Its not the end of the world if you do, just that your AC control knobs might not want to go back to their original positions. Take some pics of your new radio!
thanks! i already got everything back in and hooked up with the new HU.

it's dark here now, so i'm getting the amp wires and speaker wires all prepped, then i'm gonna go finish up and i'll be sure to post some pics tonight

Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for those doing this for the first time on their 07-08 factory stereo's, unplug the
AC harness before yanking the head unit off. i was one of the lucky ones that pulled
a tad too hard and broke the fan switch. hahaha. well, i fixed it so no issue
but just unplug it first.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
for those doing this for the first time on their 07-08 factory stereo's, unplug the
AC harness before yanking the head unit off. i was one of the lucky ones that pulled
a tad too hard and broke the fan switch. hahaha. well, i fixed it so no issue
but just unplug it first.

good point. i was pretty quick to start yanking, but for safety's sake, i would definitely recommend unplugging the AC controls first.

i really hate having to 'force' something when it comes to working on cars, but in this case, it's necessary

Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
incase people need help with this
heres a diy i made a long time ago for hvac lights-
but.. removal is explained..
click here..

seems like the clips throw everyone for a loop.
PULL! hah