Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Radio not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Radio not turning on

K, this is REALLY starting to drive me crazy!!!

With my OEM headunit, sometimes, the radio wouldn't turn on. I went to the dealer and they swapped out a new one. Had no problems for abut 5 months. Then, it started to do it again. I then switched to a Pioneer DVD player and havent had an issues untill 1.5 years later. (now) It's ding it EVERY time one! Start car.....no power to radio. Drive for "x" time, randomly kicks back on. All the wiring has been check over many times. all my powers are ok. all my grounds are ok.

Has anyone had the same issues???

Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Well that's just plain not good. Is it simply shutting off, or are you losing you station presets, settings and time? That would tell us if it's a problem with either the constant, or the ground/accessory. Have you replaced the fuse for it? Have you looked really closely at the fuse holder? I'm not sure if you can, but try to unplug the harness behind the fuse for it and take a look. Obviously something is NOT right.

Does anything else happen? Are there any patterns? Any lights dim or flicker when it turns on/off? If it's happening a lot, I would run a new constant power wire (that is fused) from the fat white wire at the fuse box, and run a new accessory wire (that is fused) from the same area, and get yourself a really really really good solid ground. Do all of those with some really nice, expensive 12g multi-strand wire from a real electronics store. If you've done this and the problem persists, either a different problem has messed up your Pioneer or there is a much bigger problem in the car.