Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY door panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have to take the inserts off? Or could you possibly "wrap" over the existing fabric?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Fit4Trav
Do you have to take the inserts off? Or could you possibly "wrap" over the existing fabric?

I think you have to or else the fabric won't stay on the panel for that long. i didnt take off the inserts for the rear and just wrapped the fabric on to and now the fabric is coming off and looking sloppy as hell.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by xalx02
I think you have to or else the fabric won't stay on the panel for that long. i didnt take off the inserts for the rear and just wrapped the fabric on to and now the fabric is coming off and looking sloppy as hell.
or the glue i used wasn't good enough...

Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
take the material inserts off otherwise it wont look as good. the plastic welds are esay to undo. there is a plastic welding tool that is around $150 or so but if u have like a sodering iron it would work too. the nice thing about the plastic welding kit is that it comes with all sorts of plastic rod like a tig welder so that if u need more material its there. every plastic piece on the inside of it has what it is made of stamped on it so u can use the right rod.

heres my door panels. i did some fiberglassing as well.

sorry for the dark pic.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Previc93
take the material inserts off otherwise it wont look as good. the plastic welds are esay to undo. there is a plastic welding tool that is around $150 or so but if u have like a sodering iron it would work too. the nice thing about the plastic welding kit is that it comes with all sorts of plastic rod like a tig welder so that if u need more material its there. every plastic piece on the inside of it has what it is made of stamped on it so u can use the right rod.

heres my door panels. i did some fiberglassing as well.

sorry for the dark pic.
Nice work, Do you have a link for the plastic welding tool? What glue did you use?
Thanks for any info

Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
here is the plastic welder. its a little more in price than i thought if u search amazon or something maybe could get it cheaper.

Airless Plastic Welder Model 6

the glue i use is an industrial glue. i use it when im wrapping panels, doing headliners and things like that.

1 Gal. DAP Weldwood HHR Contact Cement

to use the glue u have to spray it on both the fabric and the panel it is going on. ( i get cheap harbor freight spray guns for the glue that way i dont ruin my expensive spray guns for paint.) let it sit for 5-15 min until the glue feels a little tacky. then put the fabric over the panel doing hard corners first. (helps if using a heat gun but not too much to burn the fabric) then once u press on the fabric the panel its stuck. once pressed dont peel unless u want spots to show up uner the fabric.

it will take some time to really learn how to do it right but once u get it it will look good and u can charge your friends to do theirs as well. maybe make some of ur money back for the plastic welder and materials u purchased.

***note clean the spray gun with laqure thinner after use otherwise the gun will be hard to get out the next day. might as well buy a new gun again****

Last edited by Previc93; 11-23-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
here is the plastic welder. its a little more in price than i thought if u search amazon or something maybe could get it cheaper.

Airless Plastic Welder Model 6

the glue i use is an industrial glue. i use it when im wrapping panels, doing headliners and things like that.

1 Gal. DAP Weldwood HHR Contact Cement

to use the glue u have to spray it on both the fabric and the panel it is going on. ( i get cheap harbor freight spray guns for the glue that way i dont ruin my expensive spray guns for paint.) let it sit for 5-15 min until the glue feels a little tacky. then put the fabric over the panel doing hard corners first. (helps if using a heat gun but not too much to burn the fabric) then once u press on the fabric the panel its stuck. once pressed dont peel unless u want spots to show up uner the fabric.

it will take some time to really learn how to do it right but once u get it it will look good and u can charge your friends to do theirs as well. maybe make some of ur money back for the plastic welder and materials u purchased.

***note clean the spray gun with laqure thinner after use otherwise the gun will be hard to get out the next day. might as well buy a new gun again****
Thank you
The Dapp weldwood HHR contact cement
THIS ITEM CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO THE FOLLOWING STATES:
  • [*]

Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I don't get it from that place. I get it from a local upholstery supply place. I'm sure they have a ton of those in California. Just look it up online or the phone book. I just searched the name so I could get a link for u to see what it looks like. Make sure u don't keep it in hot temps. I left it in my car for like 3 hrs and the top popped off due to the heat and the glue got all over my seat. Good thing I was redoing it. Lol

Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Question

I don't get it from that place. I get it from a local upholstery supply place. I'm sure they have a ton of those in California. Just look it up online or the phone book. I just searched the name so I could get a link for u to see what it looks like. Make sure u don't keep it in hot temps. I left it in my car for like 3 hrs and the top popped off due to the heat and the glue got all over my seat. Good thing I was redoing it. Lol
Thank you
I am having a tough time with my door panels. I am trying to do it with carbon fiber fabric and it keeps popping up in pocket. How much would you charge if I send you the section that gets covered?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Are u sending the whole panel or just the insert.? Just wondering if I have to undo the plastic weld or not. Am I doing all 4 doors.? The rears don't have an insert that is removable. The material just tucks in the groove. Do u have the black carbon fiber material or should I get that too. I may have some extra laying around if u haven't purchased it yet.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Are u sending the whole panel or just the insert.? Just wondering if I have to undo the plastic weld or not. Am I doing all 4 doors.? The rears don't have an insert that is removable. The material just tucks in the groove. Do u have the black carbon fiber material or should I get that too. I may have some extra laying around if u haven't purchased it yet.
Just the the inserts, to expensive to ship the whole panel(big box),all 4 I have the material.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Pm sent. Also that doesn't include shipping.

Have u thought about doing ur headliner that same color? I think the black carbon fiber would look good up there.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Pm sent. Also that doesn't include shipping.

Have u thought about doing ur headliner that same color? I think the black carbon fiber would look good up there.
Yes I have , but I am not to thrilled about doing the work

Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Ya just let me know.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Help!

Anyone with a 07 fit done their rear panels fabric?
Cause i was taking my panels off to get ready to put on new fabric but the rear panels are one whole piece and i see no way to take just the fabric part off, can anyone help?!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Just remove old material and tuck into groove.