Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Underseat Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Underseat Sub?

Hi there!

My wife and I are probably going to buy a Fit tomorrow, and I'd like to know whether or not there might be enough room under the seats for a small subwoofer, perhaps an 8" or so. I understand that the gas tank is under the seats and that this may restrict space, but let me know what you folks think.

I'm a big fan of little cars. If someone could build an underseat enclosure for a Scion xA, I figure it could probably be done with a Fit.

If you have other ideas, I'm all ears. Remember, the goal is space efficiency. Ideally, a small sub slipped under one seat and the am under the other would be perfect!

Thanks for checking this out...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Well there is certainly no room under the front seats, at all. As far as the rear seats, you could probably rig something up. But that would probably mean sacrificing the ability to fold them down and fit more stuff in. Probably the best bet is to have a stealth box fiberglassed for the rear on the right or left side. A friend of mine was working on one at his shop, he cut a whole in the rear left panel and glassed a sub box into it. It only protruded about 2 inches out of the panel, and sounded and looked great. That might be a better option for you.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the reply, MF. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of that build or of something similar, would you? I'd really be into seeing this idea. Sounds like a good idea.

We did get the car...DEFINITELY no room under the fronts. So if you have pics, I'm very interested. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you need space maybe you can find a small sub that fits in the spare tire?
not sure who sells them but ive seen it on several different coupes.

if not, i recommend the BassLink. easy to install and tune.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
What I did was install a 12" sub (along with a new headunit to make things easier for wiring the sub) that is mounted inside an enclosure already. I mounted the amp on the back of the woofer. then i ran all of the wire (power, ground, signal and remote wire) and ordered quick disconnects for all of the cables. On the back of the enclosure the quick disconnect is also mounted. I have caps made of those connectors for safety. Its easy to unplug the woofer and cap the connectors and tuck them away with the spare tire.

then to add space and improve the bass i made a cargo cover out of a couple of 1" thick boards and upholstered them to match the interior (black felt from walmart and spray on glue). So now i can even put stuff on top of the cargo cover (which i always do for groceries). that's also just as easy to remove for more cargo room.

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 09-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
plus that top cover will give you better acoustic response with the cavity you got back there probably.