Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Wiring bits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Wiring bits?

Well I have my system all picked out and purchased, now I just need all the wiring bits. I have a good idea of what I need, just not sure where I should be looking to buy and what specs to look for.

I'm wiring up a HU, front components, rear coax and a 5-channel amp. HU should be taken care of, and I have a set of RCA cables that I can run for the mono channel.

Here's what I think I need:
4-channel RCA cables / 2x2-channel RCA cables
4 gauge power wire
remote wire for amp (gauge?)
a decent length of speaker wire
Am I forgetting anything here?

So here's where I need advice. How long do the RCAs need to be? I don't want to cut it too close, but I also don't want to have to run 5 feet of excess somewhere out of the way.
What size should for remote wire?
How much speaker wire should I get?

Obviously I can eyeball these easily enough, but if anyone has these numbers available it would be much appreciated.

And finally, are there any specific brands I should be looking at, or staying away from?

I appreciate any and all advice. You shall be rewarded with glorious Fit ICE pics once this is all set up

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
being that the fit isnt a very big car, i would imagine any rca wire they sell for wiring a car would reach the back seat no problem.

one thing i noticed you dont have in your list is ground wire for the amp. go with 4 gauge as well.

the remote wire holds very little power, it just tells the amp when to turn on and off, even the smallest gauge wire would be fine

its hard to tell with the speaker wire, honestly i would buy more then needed you never know when u could use some extra speaker wire.

lastly, you might be better off buying a full kit. i spent like 130 bucks on all my wiring (JL) JL is very overpriced, but its never a bad idea to buy the best.

in my last system, i used a 4 gauge boss kit that costed me like 70 bucks and had no problems in 3 and a half years.

alot of people use "street wire" kits i havent used them, but ive never heard anything bad either.

just dont go with those cheap wallmart wires. and buying too much is always better then buying too little.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks MetalHead.

Right now I'm looking at StreeWires gear, because they seem to be the most readily available. I have an amp power kit and 40 feet of 14-guage speaker wire, which I'm sure is overkill.

Right now I'm trying to decide on RCA lengths. Standard sizes are 11.5' and 16.4', which is a huge difference. I had 16.4' running from the HU to the back of the trunk in my old Volvo, so I imagine 11.5' should be sufficient. If I install the amp under the back seats, 11.5' will be plenty, but I'm not so sure if I put it in the hatch.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
use a string to measure how much wire you need, round up