Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Is the electric mirror switch lighted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Is the electric mirror switch lighted?

Hello to all with electric mirrors,

Does the mirror control switch have an internal light which illuminates the word "mirror" when the dash is illuminated? 2007 Fit

Cheers
Rod

got an answer : yes

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-13-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, No it doesn't. IF it does, then shit, mine's been burned since day 1.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Kevin thank-you for your reply,
Now I am in a real situation ... I have two replies which are contradictory.
I got another reply in another thread.
I am in the process of installing electric mirrors in my base model 2007 Fit.
The harness plug which connects to the switch is in place with only one wire connected to it. The wires to the mirrors are absent. The wire in place is live when the interior lights are on, it is on fuse 22. I will have to do a double check now as well as apply 12v to the switch to see if "mirror" lights up. The only logical reason for the presence of this single red wire is lighting. If it isn't I am up shit creek.

Could you please check your switch under really dark conditions and with the dash lights set at maximum?

Cheers
Rod

Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no it does not light. mine lights because i did a DIY and installed a small LED behind there.

in factory form it does not light up for USDM models... as far as i know.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I just bought a set of power switch mirrors. Does anyone have any pictures of how the wiring goes or any directions of how to wire up the mirrors? The mirrors that I got come with wires of 5 different colors with grey plugs. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I hope you have the switch as well as the mirrors !

All the wiring info that you should need is in the maintenance manual that you can order. The address and order form are in the owners manual, usually at the back. I forget how much it cost me and the manual is in the garage and I am not ! It is very useful. I cannot see any serious Fit owner without their own copy. Another online source is alldatadiy.

My problem is getting connectors. The local Honda does not have any bits to make-up harnesses and the scrap yards will not supply the harness end for the connections unless you buy the entire harness. The Fit connectors in the doors are 3Ps, 3 pins. I found some four wire connectors, 4P in Honda jargon, in a 1995 Civic in the scrap yard. They are of similar configuration to those in the Fit. The wires and pins can be transferred from one to the other with no cutting of wires. The electric mirror connectors in an older Accord are an older model of 3P connector which does not allow direct transfer to the Fit 3P. I will make-up something for the doors.

The mirror switch is more complicated as the connector uses extremely small pins and is of a shape which doesn't seem to be common. Fortunately for me the plastic connector is already there, it is not connected as the mirror switch was absent. All that is required is the pins. I found some pins, that I hope will do the job, at the local Subaru garage. They have a kit with various electrical bits. As soon as I have time to make-up my plug and then test it I will let you know how things work out. Next week maybe.

I am sorry I cannot send you copies of the wiring diags, I do not have a scanner. Get yourself a real manual, you will not regret it.

Cheers
Rod

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-18-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hello again,
You will have 8 wires going to the mirror switch plus one other if your switch is lighted: 3 from each mirror, power from fuse 20, and a ground. The connector to the switch is a 13P. You may already have the connector taped to the harness under the left dash near the door, just to the left of the fuse block.
That is what I have and it has one red wire active. You can take power from fuse 10 by using one of the new adapters that inserts in place of an existing fuse. You then insert the original fuse into the adapter to restore the original function. The adapter gives you a pig tail to connect to and requires that you insert a second fuse for the new circuit.

Cheers

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
hkjazz - I found out that there are two different models of JDM mirrors. Some of the mirros have white plug and some have a grey plug.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Does the colour of the plastic reallymake any difference ?
I doubt it.
Are the plugs of the same shape?
Will they both accept the same connection?
If they are physically identical, a part from the colour, why worry ?

The difficulty is not in the doors, it is in the dash, the control switch and its connection to the rest, the harness.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you ElanS2 for your extra support. I'm really appreciate on it.

The only problem that is killing me is I got everything work but just not the power folding function.

I have one extra BLACK wire from the switch which i don't know what is that for. It is located on the JDM switch wire (white head) next to the "Yellow & Black" wire. Is it ground??

Also, I understand what you want to do to hook up the wire to Fuse 20, but which wire that I should hook up to. I have one RED wire, which this wire already hook up to the switch wire from the USDM (OEM STOCK).

What should I do??

thank you

Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ElanS2
Does the colour of the plastic reallymake any difference ?
I doubt it.
Are the plugs of the same shape?
Will they both accept the same connection?
If they are physically identical, a part from the colour, why worry ?

The difficulty is not in the doors, it is in the dash, the control switch and its connection to the rest, the harness.
The plugs do make a difference. They are quite different in shape. And they both do not accept the same connection. Why? I dunno either. But I was surpised when I bought mine and it had the grey plug. There really isn't any hard part in installing the mirrors. The only part I can think of that is hard, is finding out which wire does what. Plan ahead and it will save you a lot of headache.

And my switch does light up. The part where it says mirror lights up amber.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Hello Danger,
Where are you?
I'll try and describe the situation as I see it.
The connection between the door mirror harness and the main harness is made in the door. The mirror side is part of the mirror therefore you and I both have it and the connector on the end. We have to "make-up" a way to make the connection to the switch in the dash. In an extreme situation we could cut off the connector from the mirror and twist on wires to feed to the mirror switch. That would be a botch-up of a job, it would work for a while. I intend to make-up this connection by using Honda bits from other cars if necessary, therefore there is no problem in the door. Many solutions of different quality are possible.
The situation in the dash is different as I see it since we have no choice but to connect to the mirror switch as there are no wires coming out of it. We must have the connector and it must be wired up to match the pins in the switch. No alternatives possible.
The best way to find out what the pins and wires do is to get yourself a genuine Honda service manual. You will find out a lot of other useful stuff too.
Glad to hear that your switch lights up. Must be that red wire !
HKJAZZ
Where are you?
Power folding function ? What is that ? So you can go through a car wash ? For narrow Hong Kong streets ? Please explain, I may want that too. Can you use it to wave at people ? That would really make the Fit different !
I'll be back after supper with wiring info. See you latter

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ElanS2
Hello Danger,
Where are you?
I'll try and describe the situation as I see it.
The connection between the door mirror harness and the main harness is made in the door. The mirror side is part of the mirror therefore you and I both have it and the connector on the end. We have to "make-up" a way to make the connection to the switch in the dash. In an extreme situation we could cut off the connector from the mirror and twist on wires to feed to the mirror switch. That would be a botch-up of a job, it would work for a while. I intend to make-up this connection by using Honda bits from other cars if necessary, therefore there is no problem in the door. Many solutions of different quality are possible.
The situation in the dash is different as I see it since we have no choice but to connect to the mirror switch as there are no wires coming out of it. We must have the connector and it must be wired up to match the pins in the switch. No alternatives possible.
The best way to find out what the pins and wires do is to get yourself a genuine Honda service manual. You will find out a lot of other useful stuff too.
Glad to hear that your switch lights up. Must be that red wire !
HKJAZZ
Where are you?
Power folding function ? What is that ? So you can go through a car wash ? For narrow Hong Kong streets ? Please explain, I may want that too. Can you use it to wave at people ? That would really make the Fit different !
I'll be back after supper with wiring info. See you latter
Oh the power folding function is just that when you start the car, the mirrors open up and when the car is turned off, the mirrors fold. And yes, of course you can go through a car wash. Yes, HK streets are quite narrow thats why even a Toyoto Corolla has power folding mirrors just in case if you hit someone from the side mirrors. On and off all the time. Thank you for your help! I will wait for your wiring info! Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Hello HK,
Wow, neat. Can you control the mirror folding or is it automatic, controlled by the ignition or something else? Your mirror/door must have an extra motor to operate the folding. That means more wires than in Canadian/Us Fits. I am beginning to understand some of the confusion that is present in our communications. I will describe the wiring referring to the service manual and to my switch/Fit. I have just discovered that the wire colours of my "new" electric mirrors are not those shown in the manual. One of the Honda buyers must have found a special on wires somewhere. In light of that I will assume that the numbering of the positions in the connections is correct in the manual. I will try and explain the numbering employed to designate positions in the connectors. Honda seems to identify the connectors by the number of positions (holes) that will accept wire terminals. My door mirrors have 3P ( 3 wires in 3 holes) connectors whereas the mirror switch is a 13P connector which uses only 9 holes for 9 wire terminals. Also the designation male or female applies to the wire terminals and not to the plastic housing.
The door mirror wires have 3P connectors. The pin count 1, 2, 3, goes from left to right when looking at the wire side of the female terminals. Look at the connector at the end of the mirror wires ( they have the female pins) from the side that the wires enter the housing and count the 3 positions from the left to the right. Both my mirrors are the same. You must have a greater number of wires and a different connector, 5P or whatever.
The switch has a 13P connector with holes in 2 rows. Holes 6 to 13 are across the bottom and holes 1 to 5 are across the top in two segments, 1,2, and 3 followed by an empty space ( for the clip holding the connector to the switch) and then 4 and 5. Again this count is made, left to right, when looking at the wire side of the female terminals. Not all the holes have terminals/wires.
It looks like this:
1 2 3 _ _ _ _ _ 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Holes 1, 3, 7, and 8 are not occupied. Your pin-out may have more spaces occupied for the folding. This may depend on how the folding is controlled.
If you can command folding you must have a different switch or a separate button/switch somewhere.
I will try and explain the interconnections in my situation
Driver's Mirror Passenger Mirror Switch
1 __________________________ 5
2 __________________________ 10
3 __________________________ 12
_______________ 1____________ 5 (along with 1 from the driver's)
_______________ 2_____________ 11
______________ 3_____________ 13
Going to the switch I also have the following:
pin hole 2: power in from fuse 10 ( I stated 20 in an earlier note that was an error, I will try and correct that)
pin hole 6: to ground
pin hole 9: to a red wire with power from fuse 22 for lighting.
To answer some of your questions: Ground is generally black. Do you have more than one black wire? If so it must be something to do with mirror folding.
What do JDM and USDM stand for?
In order to obtain power from fuse 10 (as would have been the case if the mirrors had been installed at the factory) I will use a thing called an add-a -fuse. I will pull fuse number 10, insert the add a fuse in place of the fuse , insert the fuse into the head of the add a fuse, and insert a 3 amp fuse into the head of the add a fuse for the new circuit (the head has 2 fuse positions). If you want to see an add a fuse just Goggle add a fuse, add a circuit, add-a-line or something similar and you will find it immediately. Cheap and removeable.

I hope I have helped you. Wow... powered folding mirrors... neat. Does that mean you could knock over a guy on a bicycle and then put your mirror back without even slowing down or opening the window?
Cheers

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-20-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Hello again,
I have just realized that I have two pins in the mirror switch which I have not accounted for. Pins 4 and 9. Pin 4 is shown in my manual as being active (having a connection), but there is no indication to what. Pin 9 is not shown as being active. The mysterious red wire makes the connection to pin 4 so there is power in when the lights are on. I will have to verify if there is continuity between pins 4 and 9, as there would be if there is a light installed. Pin 9 may have to go to ground by its own conductor because the red wire is on a different fuse than the others.
HK: thanks for asking for more info. You have obliged me to think through this installation to a degree that I would not have done otherwise.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Kenchan,
Thanks for your comment about adding an led. Did you have to add a ground to pin # 9 to complete the circuit ? If you have read the above notes you know that I am about to add electric mirrors to my base model Fit. When I checked across pins 4 and 9, before opening the switch, I was disappointed to not find continuity. It was obvious that there was no light bulb of any sort inside, but I recalled your note, so I opened the switch to find a "nest" for an led, but no led in place. I will copy your mod and will have truly unique base model Fit electric mirrors and lighted switch. It would be neat to have folding mirrors, but I must draw a line somewhere.
Cheers
Rod