Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

stock to aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
stock to aftermarket

hey, i had someone put my system in for me with the stock head unit. i got an aftermarket headunit now, and im just waiting on the dash kit to come in. (its backordered)

since i have some time, i might as well be 100% what ill be doing. my question is how did they connect the rca wires to the stock head unit. i read something about a high/low converter, and it sounds like that would be what they used.

another question would be where would that little blue remote wire would run to?

id open it up myself and just go for it if i had all the gear. im sure its not something i cant figure out on my own. maybe u guys can help me out before all that

Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
You're right on about the high/low or line level converter. They likely used one of these and if they were smart they would've put it behind the stock radio. Same with the remote wire. It's probably connected to your accessory power behind the radio (if they're smart).

Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by quadmasta
You're right on about the high/low or line level converter. They likely used one of these and if they were smart they would've put it behind the stock radio. Same with the remote wire. It's probably connected to your accessory power behind the radio (if they're smart).
wonderful. this is why i do all the work myself. with my luck, that shit is hidden somewhere. idk why i didnt wire it myself. ive done many systems in the past. i just didnt know how to wire a stock headunit and didnt feel like figuring it out. thats what i get for being lazy. coulda saved some money too...

normally, id put the headunit in first, but i had all the gear from my old car. i let the headunit go with the car...

theres a good chance that they werent smart. im so anxious to see how this was wired, but i really dont feel like taking it apart only to have to put it back together. i guess ill figure it out when im ready for the install.

thanks a lot though!