Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Help with broken audio unit display

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Help with broken audio unit display

Hello,

New here and I couldn't find an answer searching. In a moment of anger with misbehaving children, I slammed my hand down on the dash in the vicinity of the audio display and caused a crack. The display is now distorted but the unit plays normally. My local Honda dealer states the only fix is to purchase an entire new head unit for $1500 -almost 10% of the full cost of the vehicle!

Looking at the parts list at an online parts outlet, can I just buy part #4 or do I really need to purchase a new tuner - part#3 as well?

Honda Automotive Parts

thanks for all help on this

Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
talk them into warranty it?
how many miles?
what year?
dont tell them u slammed the dash..lol..

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 713_fit
talk them into warranty it?
how many miles?
what year?
dont tell them u slammed the dash..lol..
Already tried that. I played dumb and just said the display failed but the service advisor said it could only have been an impact and that Honda NA would not approve a replacement when they saw it. I trust this advisor as he sweet talked Honda NA into giving me a new transmission for my Odyssey two years ago. BTW I have a 2008 Fit Sport with 11900 miles

Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
i work at a honda dealership and most likely here we would probably try and have it warrantied out. i've had to repair display screen failures a few times, but that was on the circuit board not a cracked one so im not sure exactly how its pieced in there to function.

i'd say the cheaper way out is to have an aftermarket deck installed.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Does anyone know how to remove the display panel? (Part 4 in my original post) I figure there must be some specific locations to pry it off. I'd like to look at the contact points between the tuner and the display to see if just buying the panel will suffice

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
1500 bucks for a new head unit?! what a rip off. that things a piece of poop anyway. it sounds absolutely terrible. id say go with an aftermarket cd player, you just need to get the fit dash kit. which will coast you around 150 bucks if you cheap out (but it will still sound better) if you wanna keep the same cd player, buy one on ebay...it'll run ya around 100 bucks. hope this helps. it pains me to think anyone would spend 1500 bucks on that peice of shit headunit.

the ebay headunits come with everything. the whole pannel and the cd player itself. youd just have to pull urs out and still the new one in

Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
if i remember in the morning, when i go to the shop.. ill get a diagram of how to remove it (if available) and post it up for ya

Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by iheartJDM
if i remember in the morning, when i go to the shop.. ill get a diagram of how to remove it (if available) and post it up for ya

Thanks in advance for posting this. If I understand metalhead, are aftermarket head units specific to the Fit? The stock unit is an unusual shape, not the typical rectangular contour of older units. Is there just a standard unit behind the display panel?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
If you get an aftermarket unit you can get the Metra mounting kit for like $50 or buy the unit from Crutchfield and they will sell you the Metra kit for $25.
The oem radio is a single din unit behind the faceplate. Not sure about the display through. I've seen oem radio for sale on ebay for less then $100.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
yeah, theres no cd players designed for the fit, but you can get a dash kit that would have a cutout to fit a standard sized headunit. this would be what your calling the "front pannel" pretty much imagine ur panel, exactly the same, only a square instead of that big ugly unit haha. i actually am waiting on the dash kit to come in and im popin a new headunit in there.

the only thing i like about the stock unit is the way it looks. it actually looks pretty nice in the dash like that. besides that, its complete crap.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:26 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input. After reading a couple of other threads, I'm going with an aftermarket Pioneer head unit with the Metra kit from Crutchfield

Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by kbh
Thanks for all the input. After reading a couple of other threads, I'm going with an aftermarket Pioneer head unit with the Metra kit from Crutchfield
good choice. if your spending over 200 bucks, i have a refer a friend discount from crutchfield that will get you 20 bucks off instantly if you enter a code.
(and id get a 20 dollar gift card as well) if your interested, let me know and ill private message you the code.

the dash kit just got into stock, it was backordered for alittle bit so thats in the process of shipping. the cd player came in a week or so ago , and the kit should be here on monday. so if you need any help installing it, let me know because ill be doing it this week haha.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
i have aftermarket unit in my fit
look at my thread in my signature
so you can get a sample of how your will look
you can either get the pocket or no pocket

Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 PM
if you dont decide to go aftermarket....i will sell you my oem deck

Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by 713_fit
i have aftermarket unit in my fit
look at my thread in my signature
so you can get a sample of how your will look
you can either get the pocket or no pocket
hes get the first gen fit, so yours inst going to look anything like this. 713's is a 09, and they dont have a real kit for that year yet.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...metra-kit.html

this is what yours will look like. i think this is the same headunit you want as well.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:07 AM
kbh
5 Year Member
That thread made up my mind for me. My car is also Vivid Blue so I might even end up painting the panel that way. Thanks again for all the help, this is a great forum. Sorry Metal but I already placed the order - damn this internet instant gratification!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by kbh
That thread made up my mind for me. My car is also Vivid Blue so I might even end up painting the panel that way. Thanks again for all the help, this is a great forum. Sorry Metal but I already placed the order - damn this internet instant gratification!
thats ok haha. that person with the blue panel hooked me up with the 20 bucks off as well. it was pretty sweet lol. hopefully, my dash kit will be in tomorrow and i can start the install. my cd player is awaiting egerly behind the computer desk. if ya need any help hit me up!