Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Speaker grill cover installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
Speaker grill cover installation

Alright this is a huge noob question but I would rather ask than risk damaging my sub. I purchased a JL Audio grill cover (SGR-12, JL Audio SGR-12 W1v2/W3v3 Grill (sgr12w1v2-w3v3) Car Subwoofer Grills / Grilles Subwoofer and Box Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix specifically made for my exact sub (12w3v2). From what I have read I thought it just pops in there, but I must be mistaken. The edges are razor sharp all around, and it would make contact all around the actual material surrounding the sub. It also seems just a hair large, and would require a bit of bending and coercion to sit in there right, and again I am worried about damaging the subwoofer surround. Has anyone installed these JL grills before? Am I paranoid or just missing something? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
It looks like it should pressure fit on the outside of the mounting ring, therefore would not touch the sub. Are you saying that its too big to fit over it, if so you could always try wrapping some thin weatherstripping around the outside to increase the diameter.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cbs1013
It looks like it should pressure fit on the outside of the mounting ring, therefore would not touch the sub. Are you saying that its too big to fit over it, if so you could always try wrapping some thin weatherstripping around the outside to increase the diameter.
Yeah if it were too big, I could make it work using your suggestion, thanks! Unfortunately it's definitely too small to fit around the outside of the mounting ring. See below to get an indication of exactly where it seems to want to fit. I do see this mounting ring as a bit large, however it's the standard mounting ring which came with the sub. Even if I had a tiny mounting ring on there, it would be a stretch to get this grill around it.

Keeping in mind the fact that the edges of this grill are razor sharp, see the pic below where it seems to want to fit best (likely one of the weakest parts of the sub, especially with razors vibrating into it at all day). But again, I could just be paranoid. I guess I was hoping someone on here has used one of these before and could assure me that it did not damage their sub.

Last edited by reako; 03-11-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, if I were you I'd shoot JL Audio an email, they should be able to tell you for sure. I've dealt with them in the past, they were very helpful.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Hows that thing sound? Does your hatch rattle with it pointing right at it? I'm putting a 10w7 in my Fit in a month or so, and think i'm gonna aim it up.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, if I were you I'd shoot JL Audio an email, they should be able to tell you for sure. I've dealt with them in the past, they were very helpful.
Glad to hear they are helpful, I will definitely try this now!

EDIT - Just sent them an email, we'll see how it goes! I'll update the thread when I hear something.

Last edited by reako; 03-11-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hows that thing sound? Does your hatch rattle with it pointing right at it? I'm putting a 10w7 in my Fit in a month or so, and think i'm gonna aim it up.
In my last car I had 2 12" Infinity Reference subs....one night I swapped them with my friends 12w3v2...although it did not quite pound as hard as my 12's, the improved dynamic range and clarity was impressive.

I now have one of my own! The absence of rattles is quite surprising - the first night I had it installed, the license plate rattled unbelievably, but a quick trip to Home Depot for some stick-on 1/4" thick insulating strips completely fixed the issue (I stuck them underneath the license plate and license plate holder).

Since then I have had absolutely no rattles at all, anywhere in the car, even pushing 300w RMS to it - awesome! (I measured 125db with my Radio Shack db meter, for what it's worth ) I will never go back to dual subs, a single, high quality sub does the trick for me, while keeping some cargo space! If money was no object I would obviously opt for any one of the new JL subs, but along with the huge amp it would require, it's just not worth it for me.

Anything less than my exact setup would not be enough bass for me, more bass would start to drown out my stock speakers a bit too much, so ultimately, I am very happy with my setup for now.

EDIT: Your 10w7 will likely sound amazing back there, and will likely be a LOT louder than my older 12. I would love to hear the punch of a high quality 10" sub in the Fit. Enjoy!

Last edited by reako; 03-11-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Good to hear everything sounds tight. I've also used the foam trick on the back of the plate, Works wonders.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Well....I gave JL support a generous 7 days to respond to my inquiry, but now it's time for them to pay. I received a survey from JL today - so I dinged them for sub-par product support and missing installation documentation. I also included the details involving my initial support request in the comments section. I emailed two more JL support techs listed on their site (each tech is assigned a particular region), but that's what happens when they don't respond. I'll send an update whenever I finally hear something back.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
One of the alternate tech's I emailed responded right away. He basically said just force it in there...said it's a tight fit, which may require some bending of the cover and speaker ring, but that it should work. I bent and pried for 5 or 10 minutes and gave up for now. My new project for the evening is replacing the tweeters.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like their customer service has slipped since I dealt with them. Sounds like more trouble than its worth at this point.
What kinda tweeters are you putting in?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like their customer service has slipped since I dealt with them. Sounds like more trouble than its worth at this point.
What kinda tweeters are you putting in?
Honestly it's most likely just an issue with the regional tech not responding, once I send the email to a couple other techs they responded right away so, it could be worse! Yeah it's a pain trying to get this thing on, but I'll just have to keep working with it, not a huge deal.

The tweeters I put in last night were A/D/S 345cs dome tweeters, but without their crossover or a separate amp, I didn't really like the way they sounded. See this thread for more details and pics from the install: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...sport-fit.html

Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
The tweeters I put in last night were A/D/S 345cs dome tweeters, but without their crossover or a separate amp, I didn't really like the way they sounded. See this thread for more details and pics from the install: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...sport-fit.html
I dont think the tweeters would sound good without their crossovers. Doesnt that mean you sent the high and the low frequencies to your tweeters? Im not sure but I think you could damage those speakers with low frequency signals. I know those ADS tweets are smooth, you just have to feed them the right frequency.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aenokea
I dont think the tweeters would sound good without their crossovers. Doesnt that mean you sent the high and the low frequencies to your tweeters?
Nah...the stock Navi outputs only high frequencies to the stock tweeter locations...but still, I agree they would sound a LOT better with their own crossover.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
The trick with those grilles is:
Remove the screws from the sub. If the sub is screwed in, the rubber gasket is pushed/forced down more and you have less clearance for getting the new grille in between the surround and the rubber. After the grille is in place, reinstall the screws mounting the sub to the enclosure.

AFTER A SECOND LOOK at your picture, you have the WRONG GRILLE. JL made a grille that is different for a 12W3version2. The grille you have is for a W1v2/W3v3. It's confusing, but for those of us that know what I am describing, the clearances aren't the same. I wish I had one to help you out with. The grille you want is a SGR-12 sku#90578. The description is "Fits 12W0, 12W3, 12W3v2 with rubber gasket/grille receiver". They were bulk packed, not individually packed. The 12W0 that it fits is the original v1, not the brand new driver labeled these days as a v2.

Last edited by radareclipse; 03-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Upon further research, this grille is still available today. You can buy it thru JL Audio's site at:
JL Audio - Search
It is only $7.95.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
The trick with those grilles is:
Remove the screws from the sub. If the sub is screwed in, the rubber gasket is pushed/forced down more and you have less clearance for getting the new grille in between the surround and the rubber. After the grille is in place, reinstall the screws mounting the sub to the enclosure.

The grille you want is a SGR-12 sku#90578.
I will try the removing the screws and stretching out that rubber gasket etc., I thought this step could be avoided - but it appears not!
Thanks for the tip.

I do have the correct grill, mine matches the photo exactly, it's an SGR-12 and my packaging matches the correct SKU#90578.

I'll get off my lazy but and unscrew my sub for proper fitment now. Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Nah...the stock Navi outputs only high frequencies to the stock tweeter locations...but still, I agree they would sound a LOT better with their own crossover.
Are you sure the navi unit sends the proper frequencies to the speakers? When I removed the tweeters I thought I saw little diodes connected that filter the proper frequencies. But my car didn't have navi so maybe you have different speakers.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aenokea
Are you sure the navi unit sends the proper frequencies to the speakers? When I removed the tweeters I thought I saw little diodes connected that filter the proper frequencies. But my car didn't have navi so maybe you have different speakers.
Your probably right on, man. I don't know for sure. I did see some very small diodes right where the tweeter connection is, so it's likely that's what it is (small crossover). If this is true I was giving my A/D/S tweeter a full signal (probably not the best idea ) but even still the high frequencies were most bothersome to me - just a bit too loud (even at -5). It was bearable though, I'm sure I would get used to it - especially if they were the right form factor for this installation! I would pull it out and read what the diode says - but this would be day three of reako pulling out his tweeters again...it's just no fun anymore until I figure out a comparable replacement. It would be interesting if someone had the full audio output/crossover specs for the stock Navi..

Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Double check the sku # on the packaging if it comes in a large blister package. I think it probably says sku#90595. The one I'm saying you need isn't available in a package. They came in a styrofoam package with ten grilles in bulk. The diameter of these grilles is ever so slightly different in diameter. The newer grille might be able to be massaged into place, I never had to try it.

On another note, the diode you are referring to is a "capacitor". Best regards.