Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Post your MAX DB!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Post your MAX DB!

I'm not sure if this has been attempted before, but it would be interesting to compare decibel levels. Clearly this is not a very scientific comparison, it's just for fun! It would be best if we all used the same song..

Use the template below and fill in the blanks:

Car - GD3/GE8

Testing device -
Music source -
Song -

Sound deadening -
Equipment list -

MAX SPL -

Car - GE8
Testing device - Radio Shack digital sound level meter "C" weighting
Music source - Flash drive/ 193kbps mp3
Song - Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III - A Milli
Sound deadening - None
Equipment list - JL Audio 12w3v2 d2, Kenwood 300 watt RMS amp, 2 Farad Power Acoustik capacitor. Stock speakers and Navi head unit.

MAX SPL -

Last edited by reako; 03-02-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
what is the max sound record for inside a car?

my spoon n1 on the outside rates at 110.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
what is the max sound record for inside a car?

my spoon n1 on the outside rates at 110.
Im gonna go with Alan Dante's current record of 181.7 dB

Originally Posted by reako
I'm not sure if this has been attempted before, but it would be interesting to compare decibel levels. Clearly this is not a very scientific comparison, it's just for fun! It would be best if we all used the same song..
Everyone should use the same meter for an accurate comparison. The song not so much because people tune their boxes to different frequencies so playing the same song wouldnt be a fair comparison.

I wish I could find somewhere to get my car metered. I was going to do it at Spring Break Nationals but it was just too much money for a college student.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410

Everyone should use the same meter for an accurate comparison. The song not so much because people tune their boxes to different frequencies so playing the same song wouldnt be a fair comparison.

I wish I could find somewhere to get my car metered. I was going to do it at Spring Break Nationals but it was just too much money for a college student.
It's not reasonable to ask everyone to buy the same decibel meter...any model decibel meter reading is sufficient for my experiment. Again, this is just for fun.

The same song should be used for each test. If everyone had the same bass test track which hits all frequencies, this would be perfect. I could care less if using a different song gave me a couple more/less DB's. I'm just trying to extend the experiment to everyone by using a popular track/artist.

Anyone else have a decibel meter lying around? C'mon they're only $49 at Radio Shack!

Car - GD3/GE8
Testing device -
Music source -
Song -

Sound deadening -
Equipment list -

MAX SPL -

Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
It's not reasonable to ask everyone to buy the same decibel meter...any model decibel meter reading is sufficient for my experiment. Again, this is just for fun.

The same song should be used for each test. If everyone had the same bass test track which hits all frequencies, this would be perfect. I could care less if using a different song gave me a couple more/less DB's. I'm just trying to extend the experiment to everyone by using a popular track/artist.

Anyone else have a decibel meter lying around? C'mon they're only $49 at Radio Shack!
Im just pointing out the "flaws" in this comparison even if it is for fun. Different meters read completely different levels of SPL.

A Milli peaks at 52Hz so someone with a ported box tuned at say 50Hz would have a higher SPL than a person who has the same eqipment but their box is tuned at 30Hz.

The meter at Radio Shack is not worth my money

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Im just pointing out the "flaws" in this comparison even if it is for fun. Different meters read completely different levels of SPL.

A Milli peaks at 52Hz so someone with a ported box tuned at say 50Hz would have a higher SPL than a person who has the same eqipment but their box is tuned at 30Hz.

The meter at Radio Shack is not worth my money
There are countless variables in this type of experiment. You found two.....and continue to reiterate their importance. You seem to be relentless in squeezing the fun out of this thread. Do you realize that we could just as easily point out the flaws in your arguments, and pick them apart until they are meaningless?

First, there have been several comparisons done by professionals in the audio industry comparing the Radio Shack meters to higher grade/professional level meters. In summary, they found SPL level deviations are very, very small, especially within the context of an experiment such as this. (Radio Shack Sound Level Meter)

As for port tuning.......why would anyone tune their box to anywhere near 52hz? That would sound terrible! This is yet another example of a variable which will vary so wildly, that it's not worth stressing over.

Again, this thread is not an SPL competition. There exists a high number of variables to consider, of which I don't have time to debate all day. This thread was created in an attempt to share experiences and have fun, if you don't wish to participate in either, it's not for you.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Scott Owens' and Mile Bartell's 182.8 at USACi in Extreme 5+ was nice with their Ford F250 from Car Audio, Car Stereo and Automobile Audio Systems - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
First, there have been several comparisons done by professionals in the audio industry comparing the Radio Shack meters to higher grade/professional level meters. In summary, they found SPL level deviations are very, very small, especially within the context of an experiment such as this. (Radio Shack Sound Level Meter)

As for port tuning.......why would anyone tune their box to anywhere near 52hz? That would sound terrible! This is yet another example of a variable which will vary so wildly, that it's not worth stressing over.

Again, this thread is not an SPL competition. There exists a high number of variables to consider, of which I don't have time to debate all day. This thread was created in an attempt to share experiences and have fun, if you don't wish to participate in either, it's not for you.
Scott Owens' and Mile Bartell's 182.8 at USACi in Extreme 5+ was nice with their Ford F250 from Car Audio, Car Stereo and Automobile Audio Systems - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine
Sure it doesnt deviate far from other meters at the tested level of 94 dB. From the specs on the RS site it doesnt go higher than 126 dB. Most people who compete in SPL competitions tune their boxes at a higher frequency. It isnt for sound but who cares about sound if you care about numbers. If you care about sound dont bring in numbers. USACi and DBDrag use different meters so comparing the scores doesnt mean anything other than they are both louder than I could ever imagine.

So in the end this thread does not seem like its for me. As you stated they are plenty of variables and how can you have a fair comparison with that. Its like having dyno graph comparisons. Not all dynos are calibrated the same or are even the same type. For example, the fairest way to compare two cars to see which is faster in a straight line would be to run both cars against each other on the same track at the same time.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Sure it doesnt deviate far from other meters at the tested level of 94 dB. From the specs on the RS site it doesnt go higher than 126 dB. Most people who compete in SPL competitions tune their boxes at a higher frequency. It isnt for sound but who cares about sound if you care about numbers. If you care about sound dont bring in numbers. USACi and DBDrag use different meters so comparing the scores doesnt mean anything other than they are both louder than I could ever imagine.

So in the end this thread does not seem like its for me. As you stated they are plenty of variables and how can you have a fair comparison with that. Its like having dyno graph comparisons. Not all dynos are calibrated the same or are even the same type. For example, the fairest way to compare two cars to see which is faster in a straight line would be to run both cars against each other on the same track at the same time.
Your still comparing this thread to a professional SPL competition...I wouldn't be using a Radio Shack db meter, or a 10 year old Kenwood amplifier if I was looking to show everyone up and boast about my SPL.

There are very few, if any, ways for us to compare how loud our system's are with other forum members (aside from "Maaann it POUNDS!!1"). This thread is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way I could think of sharing and comparing this information.

Specifically, there are several memebers who chose to use non-traditional subwoofer installations, including: "spare tire well", under seat/steath installs, and "all in one" solutions such as the Infinity Basslink. If these installations are found to perform within a close range to standard sub installations, this could be a viable alternative. Overall, the seperate sub/amp combo would likely produce better results (including higher SPL), but the question is by how much/is it worth it at the cost of reduced storage capacity? Will it be loud enough for what one is used to? These questions are all relative and completely subjective. But again, starting this thread is one of the only options we have to share/compare systems with other members without beating the variables to death.

Last edited by reako; 03-02-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
All its here:

dB Drag Racing Competitor Stats: Mathieu Theberge

With the Fit:

149.7 db Street A certified new Termlab
151.0 db Street A uncertified new Termlab

With the Protege:

156.4 db Super Street 3-4 new uncertified
153.3 db Super Street 1-2 no wall new uncertified
149.8 db Street Max 1-2 certified new Termlab
160.3 db Super Street 3-4 uncertified old Termlab

Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM
cant wit to get my sucker measured...i hit 141.1 db on my integra....
now this fit is a hatch..and i am putting a bigger amp on it...hopefully the box is stil good....
couple more weeks and i should have the sucker installed!!
damn been waiting forever!!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
136 db.... two subs

144 db..... eight subs (lol)

Getting close to 10 years ago now though, you can build bigger systems for way cheaper these days.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Use the template below and fill in the blanks:

Car - GD3/GE8

Testing device -
Music source -
Song -

Sound deadening -
Equipment list -

MAX SPL -

Car - GE8
Testing device - Radio Shack digital sound level meter "C" weighting
Music source - Flash drive/ 193kbps mp3
Song - Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III - A Milli
Sound deadening - None
Equipment list - JL Audio 12w3v2 d2, Kenwood 300 watt RMS amp, 2 Farad Power Acoustik capacitor. Stock speakers and Navi head unit.

MAX SPL -
This is Krissie with her CRX. Krissie Boyd

This is me with my CRX. New Page 1

You should come to a SPL Competition, near STL!!!! We will be there with Krissie's Fit, and would love for you to show up and compete. This is a very nice format!!!! And we can help you!
2009 will be a great year for Get Loud Productions

April 26th SB Audio Union, Mo