Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Fiberglass in-spare sub box (56k beware, tons of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks great, blythe - I hope mine looks a lot like that. Although when I do mine I'm going to use some grill cloth to make it even more stealth.

Oh, and I realized this a while ago but keep forgetting to post it here - my spare tire measurements are off my GD3, so anyone reading this obviously take them with a grain of salt as they compare to a GE.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Looks great, blythe - I hope mine looks a lot like that. Although when I do mine I'm going to use some grill cloth to make it even more stealth.

Oh, and I realized this a while ago but keep forgetting to post it here - my spare tire measurements are off my GD3, so anyone reading this obviously take them with a grain of salt as they compare to a GE.
Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions (not that I'm capable of answering much beyond what I already posted). Niko can help you out too, I bet. Can't wait to see pics of the grill cloth!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Just a quick addendum here - I finally had a chance to work on my car stereo plans some, and got measurements of the actual volume available in a GD3 spare. I was able to fit enough packing peanuts inside to fill a box that's 12x8x6 inches . . . so that works out to .33 cubic feet. Not too bad, and there's a little bit more to be found by finding a smaller bolt to attach the spare. By raising the trunk floor 2 inches, you could get up to about .44 cubic feet, or significantly more if I was to flare the enclosure out above the spare. Of course, that doesn't factor in space occupied by the fiberglass or the driver.

I'm torn as to whether to try and glass mine like yours, Blythe, or to go ahead with my original plans of putting aside the spare in favor of the enclosure & amp. If I keep the spare, I'll have to find someplace to hide the amp . . .

But before I decide, I'll be testing the driver in a cheap enclosure I picked up from Parts Express. It measures .85 cubic feet - so I'll start with that, and gradually subtract volume by filling it up with bricks or something, see what happens to SQ.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
just a thought but if you used epoxy instead, you could possibly shave down some of the volume eaten up by the thickness of the cloth used as u can use any normal 100% cotton cloth, it would be stronger and thinner and you could save a bit and in this scenario every bit counts...(atleast im building mine with epoxy as i am used to it from workin on surfboards) not to mention the catalyist time for epoxy is way more forgiving temperature wise and time wise as you have a lot of notice of when your resin is starting to harden it dosent just cook off like fiberglass

anyway just my 2 cents on a fantastic idea

Last edited by brian-miller; 04-30-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 PM
All, I am now selling this setup. Let me know if you're interested!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...tml#post956945

Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
That is seriously badass. Good job, it looks nice and clean.

What does GD and GE mean?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
I still have to figure out where I want to put the amp, good point. I think it'll probably fit under the driver/passenger seat, but I haven't tried yet. Otherwise I guess I'm stuck with the back of the rear seat.
I've seen people mounting the amp in the trunk in a vertical position on the side. That way you are not obstructing cargo space, with the amp attached to the back of the seat, when the seats are folded down.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
lol, I just realized that I misread the date of the post and that it's 3 years old, lol