Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

TomTom Dashboard Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
TomTom Dashboard Mounting

I just received a TomTom XL 330 for my birthday, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it in my 2008 Fit. The windshield mount isn't going to work for me - when it's down low enough to be out of the way, it's too far away!

It came with one of the sticky plastic disks, but I'm a bit worried about putting it on my dash.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/acces...ory.php?ID=558

The page claims that "the disks are easily removable and do not leave a residue," but I'm a bit wary of that claim. Does anyone have experience with using these disks?

I'm thinking of putting it on the center of the dash, right above the center disks. Does anyone know if this is painted plastic, or just plain plastic?

Any input is appreciated...thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gryhrt
I just received a TomTom XL 330 for my birthday, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it in my 2008 Fit. The windshield mount isn't going to work for me - when it's down low enough to be out of the way, it's too far away!

It came with one of the sticky plastic disks, but I'm a bit worried about putting it on my dash.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/acces...ory.php?ID=558

The page claims that "the disks are easily removable and do not leave a residue," but I'm a bit wary of that claim. Does anyone have experience with using these disks?

I'm thinking of putting it on the center of the dash, right above the center disks. Does anyone know if this is painted plastic, or just plain plastic?

Any input is appreciated...thanks!
Get the A-Pillar mount set from Pro-Clip USA. I had this in my '07 Sport for my Tom Tom XL and it was fantastic. It won't fit in my '09 though. I am waiting for them to come up with the vehicle specific mount, and then I can attach the device holder bracket to the new mount. This system is well worth the low price.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I was looking at the a-pillar clips - they seem like a really nice solution. My only problem with them is that they put it out of reach of the passenger. It would be nice for my wife to be able to looks for restaurants, etc., while we're on trips.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gryhrt
Yeah, I was looking at the a-pillar clips - they seem like a really nice solution. My only problem with them is that they put it out of reach of the passenger. It would be nice for my wife to be able to looks for restaurants, etc., while we're on trips.
Good point- my suggestion won't do your wife any good at all.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I had the same issues with my Christmas present, a Garmin Nuvi. It's got Bluetooth so a central location made the most sense. I played around with ideas like rigging something up high in the center of the car above the mirror, but nothing worked. I finally bit the bullet and put the disk on my dash.

Garmin says exactly the opposite about the disk; they say the adhesive is very powerful and will almost certainly leave residue. They pretty much tell you to consider it a permanent installation.