Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

gutted

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
gutted

i had been considering getting rid of the fit forr a whle now because of its lack of potential to make power. but decided to give it another chance to see what gutting the interior would do for performance. and wow!!!

basically the interior has been reduced to the door panels, the driver and passenger seats and belts, the dash and everything attached to it and the headliner which will more than likely be coming out today or tomorrow.

just figured i would put it out there that i have completely gutted the fits interior because i have seen several threads with questions about how to take something out or what happens if you take this out or what happens if you take the panels covering the side air bags out. so if anyone has any questions about removing interior panels or anything like that just shoot my way.

side note if you seriously want to improve your fits handling and acceleration i would definitely suggest taking a deep breathe, grab your testicles... ovaries if you are a woman... and if thats possible. and rip everything out of the interior. it is seriously like driving a new car. the only down side to driving a completely gutted fit daily is that every rattle and creak that you hear is even louder when your gutted.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
lol pics please!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
here are a few quick shots i took right after i ripped everything out. sorry they are not better it was just to give you all an idea of what the fit looks like gutted. if you would like a more detailed image of a certain part just let me know and ill se what i can do.

Name:  DSC_0771.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0773.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0774.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0775.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0777.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0779.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0780.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0781.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0782.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0785.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0786.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  60.4 KB

i wanted to keep the aux input because i all i ever use in my car is my ipod. so all i did was unscrew it from the center console and shuv it in between this piece of foam.
Name:  DSC_0788.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0789.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  73.0 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Did you add all the parts to see how much weight you dropped? I'm curious how much the rear bench seats weigh.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
nice work, looks like gutting the interior makes customization n such so easy since you know all the bolts n mounting spots that were once hidden by panels

so, i guess ill start with one q:

how was removing the cargo, rear trunk panels? like the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th pic? was it farely easy? do most of them use pop clips, or do they have some unexpected bolts holding them down?

i think itd be great if light was shed. its scary to work on plastic panels n such that comes in new cars, held by clips, rather then the old cars where everything was bolted on. itd be good info, once i plan to dynamat.

THANKS, the pics give me an idea of whats underneath the panels.
ahah, if you ever plan to put the car back together, you can at least dynamat it

Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
Did you add all the parts to see how much weight you dropped? I'm curious how much the rear bench seats weigh.
i havent yet what i was thinking was just finding out what the fit sport weighs and then going and getting my car weighed to see what the difference is. i do plan on weighing the parts individually just to see whats truly heavy and whats not. i found a post on here just last week and it had the weights of the rear bench seats in it but now i cant find it. i htink it was "the official light weight thread" if i remember correctly one portion of the rear seats was 30 something pounds and the other portion was 40 something pounds. could be wrong though.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jazz GD3
nice work, looks like gutting the interior makes customization n such so easy since you know all the bolts n mounting spots that were once hidden by panels

so, i guess ill start with one q:

how was removing the cargo, rear trunk panels? like the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th pic? was it farely easy? do most of them use pop clips, or do they have some unexpected bolts holding them down?

i think itd be great if light was shed. its scary to work on plastic panels n such that comes in new cars, held by clips, rather then the old cars where everything was bolted on. itd be good info, once i plan to dynamat.

THANKS, the pics give me an idea of whats underneath the panels.
ahah, if you ever plan to put the car back together, you can at least dynamat it
the rear cargo panels were the easiest to get out. every panel in the car is held on by pop clips besides the center console which has two screws at the end of it were the cup holder is and in the rear the larger black panel that covers the majority of the hatch area has two screws in it but they are not hidden, it would be pretty hard not to notice them when it came time to pulling the panel out. all i did was use a credit card to lift up a portion of the panel and starting from the bottom to the top just using quick jerks. all in all it took me two hours to take everything out. the thing that took me so long was taking the front seats in and out to get all the carpet out.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Planning on removing some parts in the future to sound deaden the car. I'm sure I can figure it out if I took the time to look, but how do you:

Remove the carpeting
Remove the rear seats
Remove the door panels (although you didn't do that).

I'm concerned about putting the carpeting back together and making it fit like OEM.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
You, sir, are the F&#*ing MAN!

Reminds me of my '91 Civic (70-hp, STD model) I was a broke teen & couldn't afford more
than bolt-on mods so I also gutted it & like you said "wow!" It shed over 100 lbs! Lighter weight is your friend when power is not lol..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...akeRecaro5.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Sport, 1987 Mazda RX-7, 1991 Honda Civic.

Name:  RXED4.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  73.7 KB

The bolt-on D15B1 made 118 whp.. felt like it could run low 15's (no 1/4 passes tho) Then came 07/25/07...
RIP, thank God me & my GF survived.. a Ford F-350 took a trip over the center line.. Sorry for threadjacking!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lecsWreak2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lecsWreak3.jpg

Last edited by Import Al; 01-14-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Planning on removing some parts in the future to sound deaden the car. I'm sure I can figure it out if I took the time to look, but how do you:

Remove the carpeting
Remove the rear seats
Remove the door panels (although you didn't do that).

I'm concerned about putting the carpeting back together and making it fit like OEM.
the carpeting it self is super easy to take out. in the front driver and passenger side door sills there is a plastic panel that is the only point where the carpet is connected to anything and all you have to do is slip the carpet of the little clips on the panel. the hard part about taking out the carpet is that you basically have to gut the entire car. in order to get the carpet out you have to remove the front seats, the rear seats, the center console, and about four other plastic panels.

the front seats are supper easy to take off, just four bolts for each seat and three plugs for various sensors. id imagine that if you had one or more people helping you do this you could just have them lift the seats and pull the carpet from under them. i couldnt do that because i decided to gut the car at three in the morning... ::ring ring ring:: hello?... hey man wanna help me gut my car right now?... dude its three in the morning!... so is that a yess or a no?........ screw you!

the center console is super super easy, just two screws, two clips. lift the e brake and slide off. just be sure not to pull to hard. you still have to disconnect the cigarette lighter and the aux. input.

the rear seats are also super super easy. i cant remember if it is four or five bolts but all you do is lift up the piece that covers your spare to expose the bolts. take them all off using a 14mm socket and boom no back seats. just remember to use some way to mark where each bolt goes because there is also bolt holes for the seat belts.

i cant really say anything about the door panels. i do plan on taking them off tonight actually. i just found out that i dont have to work so i figured i would take off the rear door panels and head liner while i had some free time.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Import Al
You, sir, are the F&#*ing MAN!

Reminds me of my 1991 DPFI, 4-spd manual Civic hatch (70-hp, STD model) I was a broke teen & couldn't afford more
than bolt-on mods so I also gutted it & like you said "wow!" It shed over 100 lbs! Lighter weight is your friend when power is not lol..

2007 Honda Fit Sport, 1987 Mazda RX-7, 1991 Honda Civic hatch.

The bolt-on D15B1 made 118 whp.. felt like it could run low 15's (never hit the track at this HP) Then came 07/25/07...
RIP, thank God me & my GF survived.. a Ford F-350 took a trip over the center line that morning... Sorry for threadjacking!

ouch!!! glad you made it out ok. thanks for the positive feed back. i always loved the look of a gutted vehicle. thats another thing that pushed me towards this decision. its kind of a total mind f@#k when you pull up to a meet and every one see's a completely stripped vehicle. kind of send out a message that you take your driving very seriously.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
looks good!

id like to remove my back seats and put something over the back part to cover it all so the spare isnt showing. i think the back seat and no spare would be the most weight gone!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Looks good. I probably would have kept the center console in though.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Great thread. Nice to see what everything looks like without its skin. I would really love to do some different seats yup racing would be nice. They are just so dare expensive though.

Let us know how it goes.

Cat :x

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
any chance you can get a picture of the rear passenger side kick panel? im curious about holes so i can put some differant chassis bracing. thanks. the fit looks reall good gutted

Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
we need some numbers! get this thing on a scale asap

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
any chance you can get a picture of the rear passenger side kick panel? im curious about holes so i can put some differant chassis bracing. thanks. the fit looks reall good gutted
i agree with him. pic of the rear passanger side kick panel for us people who want to make a floor bar. also when you take the headliner take pics.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
haha

Nice!
I'll be stripping everything out this weekend. As of now, I have already removed all the Sport lips, rear seats, passenger airbag, passenger seat, emergency tire, hatch panel, Bride driver bucket, Sparco Steering wheel

I can't wait shave all the unnecessary weights haha. Oh and I detinted my windows to go with the gutted theme.

All my friends say that I officially trashed/ruined the car, lol.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
haha

Nice!
I'll be stripping everything out this weekend. As of now, I have already removed all the Sport lips, rear seats, passenger airbag, passenger seat, emergency tire, hatch panel, Bride driver bucket, Sparco Steering wheel

I can't wait shave all the unnecessary weights haha. Oh and I detinted my windows to go with the gutted theme.

All my friends say that I officially trashed/ruined the car, lol.
thats the same thing my parents said about my car. i cant wait to take my car to the honda dealership to get it serviced. every time i take it in for the oil change ive done some major modification to it and the mechanics faces are priceless everytime i roll into the garage.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by redrumm
looks good!

id like to remove my back seats and put something over the back part to cover it all so the spare isnt showing. i think the back seat and no spare would be the most weight gone!!!
dude there is already something to cover up the back when you take the seats out. you know the spare tire cover? well it has about 8 inches of extra fabric that is clipped to the back of the rear seats, so all you have to do is take out the rear seats and leave the spare tire cover in. i used velcro to keep the extra bit of carpet held down. i rocked that for about three months before i went all the way. but it definitely looks clean.

this isnt the best picture of how it will look but it should give you an idea. just imagine how flat the back seat area looks when the seats are folded down just with out the seats filling the footwells
Name:  photo-84.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  photo-83.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  23.6 KB

Quick Reply: gutted