Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Head Unit Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Head Unit Opinions

I'm looking to replace the stock head unit with something with more capabilities. I've been searching online for a unit that does the stuff I want, and found a possibly cool unit called the Clarion WXZ468RMP. As far as I know it's not available here in the states, only in the UK. Does anybody have any experience with this one? I've not seen another unit that does everything this one does, but with no reviews or way to test it I don't know how good it is.

Val

Unit Specs:

Double DIN sized RDS-EON radio with built-in six disc changer
Changer will play standard audio, MP3 and WMA format discs
LPO (Listening Position Optimiser) system digitally adjusts speaker output timing to suit speaker to listener distance for precise sound-staging
Z Enhancer parametric equaliser with high and low pass crossovers for optimum sound control

18FM, 6 LW/MW radio station presets
RDS-EON radio tuner with variable bandwidths
Four channel 4 x 50W max MOS-FET power amplifier (4 x 27W RMS)
MP3 and WMA compatible with ID-3 tag display
CD-R & R/W compatible
Vacuum fluorescent display with 23 band spectrum analyser and screensaver
CATS theft prevention system with personal code
Four channel preamp outputs (4.0V) for connecting external amplifier
Stereo aux-input for connecting walkman type devices
Can be linked to many makes of factory-fitted remote controls (requires additional adaptor)
Compatible with Clarion hand-held and steering wheel mounted infra-red remote controls (optional accessory)
Cellular phone input and auto-muting

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 AM
What exactly are you looking for in a new headunit? There is a plethora of choices available, and it really depends on your personal preferences, your wants, needs, and price point. Give me some more details on what you'd like to get out of an aftermarket deck, and I'd be happy to give you some opinions. To answer your question, I do not have any experience with that unit. I am impartial to Clarion as a brand/company

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 AM
your best bet would go to a retail car audio store(best buy, circuit city, frys, mobile 1, car toys, tweeters) and play with the different head units they have to offer
and listen to the different sound quality they provide and offer
and which one you like the best from looks to preference and options and price
than get the model number and from there you can do your shopping online or a smaller local car audio store or whereever
cause retail stores are a rip off!!!

i personally prefer pioneer headunits cause they are user friendly
alpine usually have better sound quality and more options and are harder to use therefore
never messed with clarion, their decks look plain and oem though, some people like that look (atleast the older models did)
kenwood are more fancy looking imo, but i never messed with them either

Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 AM
I would agree with 713_fit about looking at your local stores to get a feel for the quality/design of the different companies. However, retail stores use large arrays of switches and circuit boards to allow you to listen to different deck/speakers, and to try to get any sort of comparison of sound output or quality is completely ridiculous. Mainly focus on the brand, user interface, styling, features, etc.

I personally dislike Pioneers styling and the menu design on thier decks, and find Alpine to make much more sense and be far easier to use BTW, don't be so quick to discredit retail stores... There are deals to be had at your local big box store, and also there's nothing wrong with spending an extra $20 to support your local job market and the companies that employ your friends and neighbors.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Actually, I've looked at local shops, both big box and smaller retailer, and don't like 98% of what's out there. Most head units these days seem to focus on flashy graphics, small buttons or touch screens, and audio presets - none of which really interest me.

What I want out of a Head Unit:

1. controls that can be operated while driving at speed without needing to watch what I'm doing (i.e. by "feel").
2. Equalizer that is controllable - not "Rock", "Vocal", or whatever, but individual controls for Bass, Low Midrange, Midrange, etc.
3. RDS radio display (this is a big one).
4. a display that doesn't flash, warble, flicker, or anything else stupid.
5. CD compression.
6. Quality sound (of course!)

And the reason I was interested in this one specifically, an in-dash disk changer would be a cool item - not required, but cool non-the-less.

Val

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
true col. mustard those display do have a lot of different speakers options and switches and board, and dont really get the 100% sound quality feel.
but if you stick to one speaker, you can usually tell which headunit will sound better.

well honestly, if you dont like 98% of what out there in those retail stores, than there really is no other options? unless you going for one of the higher/upper end headunit model....
headunit is a headunit..there only a certain amount of brand of headunit..
pioneer..eclipse....alpine...jvc...kenwood...clari on....
i think those are the major brands out there, i know i missed some of the cheaper/lesser quality brand like dual....
and atleast at the local retail stores here in houstom, they carry all those brands and most of the models for you to test out and play with

retail store is a rip off unless it on clearance or open box item. shop around and im sure you can find a mom pop car audio place in your town that will offer you atleast 30-40% off of the retail price.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Actually, 713 Fit, I'm in Houston as well. Do you recommend a good local shop?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Rannous
Actually, 713 Fit, I'm in Houston as well. Do you recommend a good local shop?
omg u in houston?

there plenty of stores in houston with prices way cheaper than retail. are you new to the scene?? its all good though...i will start you off, i been in the car audio scene in houston for a long long time, i know a lot of shops and had expereince with a lot of the major ones too before.

i ama shoot you a pm with my friend number
he got really good pricing!!
sound solution is his store
if you want to buy any kind of car audio equipment, he is the person to go to

Last edited by 713_fit; 01-14-2009 at 08:20 PM.