Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Possible to Split the Aux Jack to have two Seperate Jacks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Possible to Split the Aux Jack to have two Seperate Jacks?

Hi, I just got my 09 Sport. I was hoping to add another aux jack down by the Power plug (like the 08 sport) so I don't have to have a cable coming from my head unit. Has anyone done this? I just liked the manual control of my ipod when going through the aux jack instead of the usb.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Hi, I just got my 09 Sport. I was hoping to add another aux jack down by the Power plug (like the 08 sport) so I don't have to have a cable coming from my head unit. Has anyone done this? I just liked the manual control of my ipod when going through the aux jack instead of the usb.
I can tell you how to do this if you can get to the wires that are connected to the AUX jack on the radio. This issue here is that these wires are not accessible simply by pulling the radio. You'll have get inside of the radio. I was going to try this for a project of mine, but then just went the easy route and plugged into the regular AUX jack once I realized that I would have to take the radio apart. It looks doable, but I didn't try so I can't say exactly how difficult it is.

If you do want to attempt this, once you get access to the wires, you can connect both AUX jacks (existing and new) to a DPDT switch (or relay) and then wire the switch or relay to your radio.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I've been thinking about this lately myself. You can buy input switchers like this one:

STEREO AUDIO SWITCH - A B Audio Switch Box

Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
I've been thinking about this lately myself. You can buy input switchers like this one:

STEREO AUDIO SWITCH - A B Audio Switch Box
Yeah, that works too. However, I had assumed that Runbikerun was trying to avoid having something plugged into the face of the radio. If that's true, he'd still need to perform some type of surgery on the radio.