Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

ge8 battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
ge8 battery?

anyone have a sound system..or sub set up in their 09 fit?
did you all have to change out the battery?
i notice the OEM battery is only 330 CCA
that isnt much....is a new battery recommended?

Old 12-25-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 713_fit
anyone have a sound system..or sub set up in their 09 fit?
did you all have to change out the battery?
i notice the OEM battery is only 330 CCA
that isnt much....is a new battery recommended?
I would just get a capacitor, I picked up a digital 2 farad (Power Acoustik) even for my humble 300w(RMS) Kenwood/JL 12w3v2 setup! Can't go wrong!!! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/526435-post9.html

Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 AM
capacitor are crap
i had one in my old car
1995 acura integra 4 door. stock battery stock alternator
400 watts of combined amp power (that isnt a lot at all)
had dimming issues, so i got a 1 farad digital cap
didnt do jack
it just a band aid, it will be no good in the long run

Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
capacitor are crap
i had one in my old car
1995 acura integra 4 door. stock battery stock alternator
400 watts of combined amp power (that isnt a lot at all)
had dimming issues, so i got a 1 farad digital cap
didnt do jack
it just a band aid, it will be no good in the long run
Thanks for chiming in and sharing your opinion! However, you had a 1 farad cap (what brand?, certified installer??) in a 14 year old car and experienced dimming....man there are endless variables to consider with the issues you had with your car. Capacitors aren't the answer to everything, but they will help reduce strain on the electrical system, regulate power to the amp, and reduce dimming. Performing the "big three" upgrade (search forums for details) and adding a cap will be your best bang for the buck to accompany a new sub/amp install. My .02

Last edited by reako; 12-25-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
rockford fosgate
sorry forgot to put in the brand
but it was only a 9 year old car at that time i had put in the capacitor
certified installer? it isnt that hard to intall a cap, there only two wires to connect.
i am pretty sure 1 farad is all i needed for my 400 watt amp.
capacitor is only a band aid is for short term, in the long run, you will still expereince problem with your electrical system.
the best thing to do
is upgrade battery(or add a battery), upgrade alternator, and of course the big 3.
Most profesional sound quality/competition system out there don't even use capicitors.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
certified installer? it isnt that hard to intall a cap, there only two wires to connect.
Wow, ok.......so we have already learned why you're capacitor didn't work right for you....Power capacitors store a large amount of energy and therefore charge very quickly. You must first charge your power capacitor using a resistor before connecting it directly to +12 volts. This is done with the a 1k ohm resistor and a voltmeter, failure to do so will at the very least impact the performance of the capacitor rendering it moderately ineffective, to, at worst render the cap completely useless and cause permanent damage.

The best thing to do
is upgrade battery(or add a battery), upgrade alternator, and of course the big 3.

Most profesional sound quality/competition system out there don't even use capicitors.

That's the whole point.......pro's have enormous systems and tons of cash to upgrade their entire electrical system; new batteries, big alternators, thick wiring, even adding additional power systems etc. If you have tons of cash, do that!! If you don't, and are looking for more affordable options, adding a (properly installed) power capacitor will regulate power to your amp, reduce strain on your electrical system, and reduce dimming.

Last edited by reako; 12-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by reako

Wow, ok.......so we have already learned why you're capacitor didn't work right for you....Power capacitors store a large amount of energy and therefore charge very quickly. You must first charge your power capacitor using a resistor before connecting it directly to +12 volts. This is done with the a 1k ohm resistor and a voltmeter, failure to do so will at the very least impact the performance of the capacitor rendering it moderately ineffective, to, at worst render the cap completely useless and cause permanent damage.

That's the whole point.......pro's have enormous systems and tons of cash to upgrade their entire electrical system; new batteries, big alternators, thick wiring, even adding additional power systems etc. If you have tons of cash, do that!! If you don't, and are looking for more affordable options, adding a (properly installed) power capacitor will regulate power to your amp, reduce strain on your electrical system, and reduce dimming.
well i guess i forgot to add that, yes we did charge the capicitor also. i didnt realize that was that important to list it, i thought it was common sense but i guess not.

the whole point is to do it right the fiirst time, if you dont do it right the time, it will cost you in the long run. so might as well save up and do it right. and that is what i am doing.
so now...any good batteries out there to fit the 09 fits?

Old 12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
i didnt realize that was that important to list it, i thought it was common sense but i guess not.
Did you try using the search function and typing "battery"? I thought it was...............never mind, here ya go dude: 2+ pages listing almost every type of battery you can use for your GE8:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-ge-take.html

Last edited by reako; 12-26-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Did you try using the search function and typing "battery"? I thought it was...............never mind, here ya go dude: 2+ pages listing almost every type of battery you can use for your GE8:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-ge-take.html
actually i did read that already
but i was wondering if any of the car audio people upgraded their batteries or not
so i put up a new topic in the *ice* forum

Old 12-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
i say get an optima yellowtop and if you're really putting out power, then get a capacitor to help as well

Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM
so our FIT uses the honda battery SLN (part number) battery
i tried to fit a civic battery (SR1) battery in the fit, it dropped it perfectly, but the connection wouldnt reach the post.
Is there like a mod i need to do or something to get the connectors to reach the battery posts?