Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

sub and amp help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
sub and amp help

So I'm planning on getting a sub for the fit. It'll be one 12" and I'm planning on a ported box..maybe sealed if I could be swayed that way but iono So, the setup(s)/parts I'm thinking of are...
amps -
Alpine MRP-M450 Mono subwoofer amplifier 400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com - A friend has thi samp and'll sell it to me for $130 but I could prolly do 120.
Polk Audio PA400.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com - With that amp I could get $100 off with the polk enclosed sub so yea, plus I'm a polk whore.
Subs -
Alpine SWS-1223D Type-S 12" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com - dunno
Polk Audio db1212 Ported enclosure with one 12" db Series subwoofer at Crutchfield.com - have planned on it for a while but started rethinking it again.
And to wrap it up...sub material. I want the sound to be smooth like the sub is in a trunk and you can't hear the umm iono...sub itself. I think having a ported enclosure will help with that sorta plasticy sound I guess is how I think of it. The polk I know that's in that box isn't that great but people really like the sound of it in the enclosure. The alpine...well I'd need an enclosure also and iono if I'd be able to make one...might be able to but it'd take to long to get to a friends woodshop where it almost wouldn't be worth it but it would cause I'd prolly end up getting a uni. one. I work at a semi parts supplier and they carry 0ga. wiring which I'll use for power and 4ga which I'll use to go from teh amp to the sub itself ...hopefully. Unless of course you guys think 4ga would be just fine..btu I may be adding new speakers later on so I'm thinkin the 0ga. will be better for when another amp is running...if that happens.
So yea, I think alpine has another umm slim sub that sounds deec too from what I remember at Bestbuy that's made from kevlar I think and I'm throwin that one in there also.
So, be nice if I could get some help/clarification on this.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
evening bumpage

Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Avoid the polk amps like the plague IMO. they are just chinese made generic low end amp with a Polk badge on them. The alpine is a solid little amp.

For the subwoofer choice if your shopping crutchfield and want a sub in an enclosure that will sound pretty translucent. you won't find much. the Jl W3V3 in a sealed box is a good bet, but you'll have to call to see if they stuf in a 2ohm sub instead of the 4ohm that comes in them.

Last edited by Injundon; 09-23-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, I'm not limited to crutch just prefer there site layout more than sonic or onlinecarstereo, etc..
Is that jl worth the $350 though...I mean, I love jl but :/ .
I'm used to having a trunk for the subs to which definitely helps with sound quality in the cabin. Heck, I just put in a ghetto lookin kenwood kfc 3011 powered by alpine mrp500 in my lesabre and it sounded/s perty good surprisingly.
But the amp I'd be getting is the mrp-m500 for $130 I think it'd be. Or I could get somethin else but for $130 there's not much/anything better lol.
The subs I was thinkin about I figured out besides teh enclosed polk were alpine sws series or kenwood excelon...mostly cause they use kevlar also which I think (not a clue...but think) that'd make/help it sound a bit better in a hatch and not having the trunk to muffle.
2/0ga. wiring for me is 3.68/ft I think and 4/0ga. is 1.3x/ft. The 1.0 is perty thick and not so flexible though so I'm sorta worried if I ran power with it...well it wouldn't make it without getting jammed up somewhere in the floor panels on the fit. I'd say it's just over 1/2" thick...9/16" maybe or 5/8" cause 1/2" loom doesn't fit around it :P Plus is it would it make any difference between 2/0 and 4 with that little power(maybe 600w after all speakers are installed...800max to be a safer estimate)

lol, I love car audio and I'm sorta ready to learn more...I know teh basics/lil more but dunno why one speaker is better than another other than rated db level, build materials, freq. n stuff. So why would I want a 4ohm over the 2ohm version of that jl 3v3? I thought 2 would be better being more power can flow...granted it's harder for the amp, but if it's made to, why not...less unused/lost power.

and ty injun for the reply.

edit: just to add...what I 'm looking for in the sub/amp combo is quality and that low bass that creates umm fun in your stomach or you can feel on your chest lol. I know it's possible with low wattage but harder...just need the right combo I guess. That jl though seems decent now that I look at it more.

Last edited by shazaam; 09-23-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
the MRP M500 makes 400Wrm at 2ohm, so to get that power out of it you need a 2ohm subwoofer (Single 2 ohm, dual 1ohm, dual 4 ohm). I don't like to Harp JL's too much, but they do make a good product . the W3V3's are a little overpriced but can play pretty low and solid win a relatively small sealed box.

Also if you can build your own box these guys are great for the price as well

JBL P1222 - JBL Power 12" 1200 Watts Plus One Dual-Voice Coil Subwoofer

Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
lol, perty much sayin no to the kenwoods or alpines :P ? The only subs I've heard in a hatch are infinity ref's...dunno the power or anything. Were powered by references also. You can hear them iono, the cone I guess at certain notes or quick hits of a bass drum or something. They're in a ported box also and just don't sound all that great most of the time. I just don't want that sound from teh cone or whatever. So hard to explain without being one on one and having a sub I hear do it lol.
And as for building a box I won't be able to I learned and I'm not gonna have a local shop do it...the one that I'd half way trust is to expensive and the other..well I don't trust em. So I'd have to end up trying to find a box that'd get close to man. spec for it I guess which sorta sucks but iono, that jl looks perty tempting right now if that enclosed polk is a no.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 AM
what is the customer support/ quality of WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Super Store, The largest selection at the lowest prices! ?
i know their prices are pretty much the best i have found, but why does their warranty policy required to exchange for one year through them? are they not an authorized dealer? does that matter?
i am picking up my 2009 fit sport today and soon there build will begin, and i am trying to find prices on speakers and stuff.
i just dont want to order an apple, and get a turnip.

thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by spinnb7
what is the customer support/ quality of WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Super Store, The largest selection at the lowest prices! ?
i know their prices are pretty much the best i have found, but why does their warranty policy required to exchange for one year through them? are they not an authorized dealer? does that matter?
i am picking up my 2009 fit sport today and soon there build will begin, and i am trying to find prices on speakers and stuff.
i just dont want to order an apple, and get a turnip.

thanks

Prices are great, service is second rate for returns. they are very slow. But if you buy quality products chances of needed a warrantly are about 0.02%