Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

how to i put race seats and bypass airbag code on dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
how to i put race seats and bypass airbag code on dash

i want race seats but not the annoying airbag trouble indicator on dash to look at. is there a product to over ride this? could i pull a fuse?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
you can wire up a resistor... you just have to find the resistance of the plug.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
off the top of your head.....

off the top of your head where might i find the resistance?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
from the plug itself. Just need a voltomometerererberr ere. then you can go to radioshack and get a resistor.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
i dont mean to pester...

im assuming omhing it out with battery unpluged so as not to pop the dash code and how will the resistor insert? will i be soldering. or i thing its a female slot....i took the seat out of my civic coupe i once had to transport my bike to the skatepark an if i recall its female.
thanks for all the info ive been lost not to mention new!lol

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
The resistance is 2.2 Ohm. I used a 2 Watt resistor because the wire diameter is thick enough that it will slide into the harness with effort and stay there tight by itself. Different wattages have different wire diameter. Do that before you pull your old seat so you can be sure that the airbag light is out. Book says to disconnect the battery, but I've never done that (at least 20 times) and not had a problem, but do make sure the key is out of the ignition at lest 15 seconds first, or the airbag light will get tripped, and then you'll have to reset it.

I did all that and the light stayed out with the airbag plug disconnected under the seat. however, when you unplug the seat position sensor, the light will come on. When the sensor trips the light, you do not need to go through the reset proceedure...just plug it back in and the light goes out again. SO, you have to move the sensor assembly too. For what ever reason, I haven't got the sensor light back out again when I move teh sensor, but when I put the stock seat back in with the sensor, the light is out, so either I don't have it in the right spot, or the magnet in the sensor is expecting a relative distance from metal I haven't got right yet. note it does need to be gounded (stock mounting bolt did that in the stock seat), so holding it with a wire tie is not going to work. If you figure this part out, let me know.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
does that mean u have to listen to the alarm beep to buckle ur seatbelt?! (since you hadnt got it to go off dash} im currently waiting to c what gustav does i live 2hrs away frm lafayette la an its posed to hit that area or just south. what seats did u go with? i think i can handle the seatbelt light just not the alarm! i will c. order date was to be around sept 15 when reimberse check arrives so im doin my homework. thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Fa1
Don't you just use your stock seatbelt buckle? I don't see why that would go off.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dacollier1
The resistance is 2.2 Ohm. I used a 2 Watt resistor because the wire diameter is thick enough that it will slide into the harness with effort and stay there tight by itself. Different wattages have different wire diameter. Do that before you pull your old seat so you can be sure that the airbag light is out. Book says to disconnect the battery, but I've never done that (at least 20 times) and not had a problem, but do make sure the key is out of the ignition at lest 15 seconds first, or the airbag light will get tripped, and then you'll have to reset it.

I did all that and the light stayed out with the airbag plug disconnected under the seat. however, when you unplug the seat position sensor, the light will come on. When the sensor trips the light, you do not need to go through the reset proceedure...just plug it back in and the light goes out again. SO, you have to move the sensor assembly too. For what ever reason, I haven't got the sensor light back out again when I move teh sensor, but when I put the stock seat back in with the sensor, the light is out, so either I don't have it in the right spot, or the magnet in the sensor is expecting a relative distance from metal I haven't got right yet. note it does need to be gounded (stock mounting bolt did that in the stock seat), so holding it with a wire tie is not going to work. If you figure this part out, let me know.

anyone got pics of it?

i have a bucket seat i want to put in

Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Don't you just use your stock seatbelt buckle? I don't see why that would go off.
I think hes talking about the sensor for the OPDS.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
dunno bro but dacollier1 an jdmchris have helped me a ton. i think im mos def goin for the seats

Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 PM
whats opds?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Occupant Position Detection System

It senses the weight in the seat to determine to turn on and off the passenger front/side/side curtain airbags

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
any seat rail products for momo reclining seat?

any seat rail bracket available for momo reclining seats

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, the sensor I was refering to is the seat position sensor that is only on the drivers side. It's a devise that is supposed to decrease the inflation pressure/rate on the 2 stage air bag in the steering wheel if the seat is all the way forward. It has a U shaped bit to it that senses when a metal tab attached to the seat slides into the U. One side of the U is a magnet and the other is the sensor. I think it should only do something if the seat is all the way forward, but apparently there is more to it than that since it trips the light it its not in precisely the right spot (I think), even if the seat is back all the way. As soon as I plug it in on the stock seat the light goes out, but move it to another seat and I can't get it to turn off the light.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
i'm a little confused and maybe someone can help clear this up (sorry, i'm slow, and dont know much about cars). If i were to install an aftermarket seat, would I lose my airbags? cuz I wouldnt install another seat if i lost them. U guys are saying the "trouble with airbag light" is going off, but would they still deploy?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Fa1
You lose the airbag in the seat, but the others are not affected. You will have a light on your dash about the missing one though, unless you fake it with a resistor.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
dang really want to install my seat without that light

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
their is an airbag in the stock seat?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs17
their is an airbag in the stock seat?
thats what side airbags are.