Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

How to remove stock Dash to install after market HU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
How to remove stock Dash to install after market HU?

Hello,

I am on the last step (last picture) in the following instructions. I can't seem to find/ reach these bolts? How do I even remove these bolts? and the one on the left seems almost impossible to reach?

Any extra feedback on this would be very helpful. and wiring for the alpine 9887 unit would be helpful as well. Thanks

I am trying to follow the following instructions but it looks a lot easier said than done:

Hi, here's the instructions from the manual.
NOTE:
  • Put on gloves to protect your hands.
  • Do not pry the panel surface with any tools to prevent damage.
  • Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts.
  1. Remove these items:
  1. Remove the screw (A). Detach the clips (B) and release the hooks (C) by pulling the center lower cover (D) down by hand.
  2. Disconnect the heater control unit connectors (E).
  3. View Full Image
  4. Inside the glove box opening, disconnect the recirculation control cable (A) and the mode control cable (B), and from under the dashboard, disconnect the air mix control cable (C). Take care not to bend any cables.
  5. View Full Image
  6. From the glove box and driver's dashboard lower cover openings, loosen the bolts securing the center panel (A).
  7. View Full Image

Last edited by ev0le; 08-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
After 3 hours later, I managed to get everything off, and the scosch kit in! What a pain in the ass that was. Now just gotta go buy some wiring connectors and do the wiring and it will be all set and done. Plug in the amp and I'm ready to go. The wiring is pretty much match the colors to the harness and its just plug and play right? anything else I should Know about?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
just match em up color for color.. unless you have a specifically designed crimp tool for the connectors you plan to use.. DON"T USE THEM!!!! you'll just squish them flat and the wires will not be secured too well inside them. if you have a soldering iron, solder the connections. if not borrow one .. if not.. go to a local car stereo sop, pay them $5 and get them to solder it for you.

Last edited by Injundon; 08-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Your post just convinced me. I'm going to place an order with Crutchfield and I'm going to pay the extra $50 for a professional install and hope the heck they connect me with a good car audio guy.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Time started, 12:30, time completed 6:30. It wasn't so bad in the end, pretty frustrating taking off all the stock parts, after they were off, everything was pretty much smooth sailing. I actually got the specialized crimp wires so that was pretty much a breeze, plug and play. I must say with the Alpine 9887, the Sound quality is so much more amazing, can't wait for aftermarket components speakers. Now just play around gotta see why my amp isn't powering on for my sub.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ev0le
Time started, 12:30, time completed 6:30. It wasn't so bad in the end, pretty frustrating taking off all the stock parts, after they were off, everything was pretty much smooth sailing. I actually got the specialized crimp wires so that was pretty much a breeze, plug and play. I must say with the Alpine 9887, the Sound quality is so much more amazing, can't wait for aftermarket components speakers. Now just play around gotta see why my amp isn't powering on for my sub.
Great head unit! Did you hook the blue wire from the head unit up the the turn on lead for the amp? Thats usually where these types of problems happen.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I did, its a blue/white wire that has the remote on switch for the amp. I even volt tested the connection behind the HU, it has full voltage. But for some reason the rear connection to the amp had no voltage. Strange.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Strange indeed! Wire running to the amp have a cut or break in it somewhere? Use an ohmmeter and make sure.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by geepondy
Your post just convinced me. I'm going to place an order with Crutchfield and I'm going to pay the extra $50 for a professional install and hope the heck they connect me with a good car audio guy.
Let us know how it turned out, I'm in the market for a new stereo. Right now I'm rocking the stock unit and I was looking around and crutchfield seems to have the kit, harness, and adapters to make installation a breeze. I would like to install it myself, but if install is only $50 dollars more, I'd gladly pay it if they do a good job.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
It's $60, I was wrong. I think I'm just going to order the head unit along with face plate kit and look over the instructions first. I'm ok electrically as I'm an electronic tech by trade but tend to be a mechanical klutz. I assume with the wiring harness, it's all plug and play and I won't have to cut, crimp or solder any wires. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a search but has anybody posted any step by step instructions here along with pictures?

Originally Posted by Jujutzin
Let us know how it turned out, I'm in the market for a new stereo. Right now I'm rocking the stock unit and I was looking around and crutchfield seems to have the kit, harness, and adapters to make installation a breeze. I would like to install it myself, but if install is only $50 dollars more, I'd gladly pay it if they do a good job.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
you have to match up the harness of the head unit you bought with the adapter harness for your car. You need to make 12 connections but you'll e just be matching up wire colors and soldering the conenctions.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Yikes, I had assumed that was the purpose of the adapter harness, to correctly interface the HU with the Honda stock harness. If I have to solder wires then yes I will definitely have it done at a shop. I don't have the means to run electricity out to my car to power a soldering iron. With all that's apparently involved, paying $50-60 for an install is not sound like such a bad bargain.

Originally Posted by Injundon
you have to match up the harness of the head unit you bought with the adapter harness for your car. You need to make 12 connections but you'll e just be matching up wire colors and soldering the conenctions.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geepondy
Yikes, I had assumed that was the purpose of the adapter harness, to correctly interface the HU with the Honda stock harness. If I have to solder wires then yes I will definitely have it done at a shop. I don't have the means to run electricity out to my car to power a soldering iron. With all that's apparently involved, paying $50-60 for an install is not sound like such a bad bargain.
If the harness that is part of your new radio is detachable, as most are, bring it inside with the harness that goes between the new radio and the factory harness, no need to do it in the car. Soldering is very simple to do, and the tools can be gotten for under 20 bux. I am sure you can google soldering and get a good how to.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
If that's the case then I can bring it to work where we are set up with plenty of soldering equipment, heat shrink tubing, etc. I'll have to look over the install directions and see how I feel when it arrives. Wish there was a way to preview them before the unit arrives. What also makes me nervous is having to fool around with the climate control system. I gather the knobs have to be popped off. I've never done such a thing and am fearful I would break something in the process.

Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
If the harness that is part of your new radio is detachable, as most are, bring it inside with the harness that goes between the new radio and the factory harness, no need to do it in the car. Soldering is very simple to do, and the tools can be gotten for under 20 bux. I am sure you can google soldering and get a good how to.