Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

OEM Fit Sport HU - Better Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I suppose, but electrical problems are my worry. and that expensive dash kit...
I should have opted for the alpine type R's with a real xover but since my plan was to keep the OE HU that would have been overkill and they would have been severely underpowered. haha.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM
The general recommendation is to upgrade speakers first, then HU -- if you still find it necessary. There is a very significant and clearly audible difference between cheap factory speakers and good aftermarket ones.

There is significantly less difference in sound quality between a factory head unit and an aftermarket one of about the same wattage. Normally the only time you can hear the difference in head units is when you push the HU to nearly max power/volume. How often that happens to you is something that only you can answer.

Speakers are almost always the limiting factor in sound reproduction.

-- Bill

Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
excellent point. I was wondering about that.

Originally Posted by nodrogkam
The OE front speakers are component speakers. If you did just get regular speakers, the sound would be pretty far off - because the treble would be pretty overwhelming. You almost have to just get components for the front.
The rears are full range speakers.
I still have yet to touch the rear speakers - money problems.
I'm enjoying my system, but overall the OE headunit doesnt put out quite enough rms power to make the sound come out of the aftermarket speakers much better than the OE speakers.
If my car wasnt under warranty i'd really just drop in my old alpine HU with higher rms and go ahead and swap the rear speakers out too so the system can be complete and correctly powered.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
The OE front speakers are component speakers. If you did just get regular speakers, the sound would be pretty far off - because the treble would be pretty overwhelming. You almost have to just get components for the front.
yeah, this is what's gong on with me right now - having 2 sets of tweeters (one in the 2-way Infinitys, one in the stock position) is too much treble.

I'm going to try disconnecting the stock tweeters today, it's the easiest fix, just unclip them.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah disabling it will work well. You can always play with the tweeter angle too.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Is replacing the OEM tweeters in the Fit doors hard to do? Has anyone done it?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
quite easy depending on the tweeter. If it's te tweeter from the new Infinity Kappa components, then it'sot easy. if it's a 1" tweeter NO problem.. quite easy. However I always advise against just replacing the tweeters. If you want to go that route, please get a proper component set.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Very interesting reading, thanks everyone. I too have not bothered replacing factory speakers in quite some time, so it's fun to read up a bit on what's new and good.

My only comment is that I'd be wary about simply disconnecting the factory tweeters because there is a tweeter in your replacement lower speaker. High frequencies are very sensitive to speaker location, which is why the tweeters are up higher and angled towards the passengers (sorta). If two-way or three-way speakers in the lower openings result in too much treble, then getting component speakers for each location sounds like the way to go. It should result in more balanced sound.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
if you go the route of coaxial speakers, eliminate the stock tweeter. I always reccomend components for the front, and I do reccomend to NOT use the OEm tweeter loacation since it's a crossfire setup. The loacation of the PEm tweeter sis lazyness/cnvenience, not for good sound. Ideally you always want the tweeter as close as possible to the woofer. With the OEm woofers being in the lower doors this does not always work so well. So higher up in the A-Pillar works wonders, But requires more work and generlly making a few screw holes into that panel to screw on the tweeters angle mount kit.

Also clarification. the front speaker setup in the fit sport IS NOT COMPONENTS. it is a full range woofer in the lower door and tweeter with a cap at the top cut off at around 6Khz. he front and rear sepakers in the fit and ft sport are the exact same speakers. Honda just tried to raise the sound stage and get some sound voer 12Khz by adding $3 polproelene tweeters higher in the doors.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Speaker question

I bought a Sony stereo for my old BMW and it came with some free 6.5" Dual brand speakers. I was thinking of replacing the stock rear speakers in my Fit Sport with these. Since they were free what should I expect. I'm 40 yrs old so I have lots of experience with free crap but I was just wondering if the stock are really that bad that these free ones would sound better.

Thanks for your help
Phil