Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Optima battery sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Optima battery sizes?

I need a small battery, smaller the better.

I'm trying to relocate the battery into the bumper where the window washing fluid goes, what ARE the smallest sizes of optima batteries? or are they all in the same ballpark.

I have a yellow top, but it's a little too large for the application I have in mind.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 AM
As far as I have seen, they are all the same. There is a link floating around here of a super small battery that would more than fit in there. I am curious, why are you going to move it? Are you trying to even the weight from left to right?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
I need a small battery, smaller the better.

I'm trying to relocate the battery into the bumper where the window washing fluid goes, what ARE the smallest sizes of optima batteries? or are they all in the same ballpark.

I have a yellow top, but it's a little too large for the application I have in mind.
Don't go with Optima. Not only do they not have a "small" battery you're looking for, but Optima's quality has gone down the tubes over the past few years. They have military contracts, thus destroying the quality of their consumer products.... the best (and smallest) batteries you can get are Odyssey batteries, or even better Braille batteries

Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Here is the post I was talking about. It is in the second post.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...batteries.html

Here is the link he posted up.

Braille No-Weight Batteries

Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
lol beat you to it by a second...

Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Nice nice either way, you both gave me great links.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Rex beat me with link. I disagree though about the quality aspect of the optima batteries. I have put them through serious ass beatings, the last one being last summer, and I have never had a problem with them. The other people that had them were having the same results. We were running wenches, lots of lights, lots of starting and stopping with little to no charge time in between, and never mind that it was well over a 100 degrees outside the whole time. Oh, and a very good portion of the trips were at a 45 degree angle or greater.

But like he said, not going to get smaller than what you all ready have.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
How are the braille compared yellow top, I don't see as many ratings/numbers as the optima has on display.

I need something that will last a while, and start up with good amount of amps for the starter.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
lol beat you to it by a second...
Yeah, I blab a lot on the key board. That and you are fast. I am still waking up. Hell, I am not out of bed yet. To nice and cozy in here. That and I am watching the nascar qualifying. It is the weekend, that means time to watch racing, the more the better!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
How are the braille compared yellow top, I don't see as many ratings/numbers as the optima has on display.

I need something that will last a while, and start up with good amount of amps for the starter.

Read the first link I sent you, it will give you what you are looking for mah thinks.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
found them.

Thanks.

Guess it's the braille kit, now I just need to get the cash for it in a few weeks.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
found them.

Thanks.

Guess it's the braille kit, now I just need to get the cash for it in a few weeks.
If you do not mind, in a while, do you mind doing a kind of hows it going post? I think a lot of people will beneFIT from this hands on info.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
why is it such a big deal?

I'm just running new cables to the new location, creating a mount on the engine bay wall, and attaching the old cables to that... ground will ground to the engine wall, with a big fat 4gauge cable coming from the battery directly to the engine wall, and to the mount point in the bumper area.

I don't think anyone needs a pretty picture to do it. Plus no one likes my tutorials (none are stickied.. real shame)

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
if you dont know how to install a battery and need a tut that is sad...

Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
why is it such a big deal?

I'm just running new cables to the new location, creating a mount on the engine bay wall, and attaching the old cables to that... ground will ground to the engine wall, with a big fat 4gauge cable coming from the battery directly to the engine wall, and to the mount point in the bumper area.

I don't think anyone needs a pretty picture to do it. Plus no one likes my tutorials (none are stickied.. real shame)
I was referring to what you think of the new batteries over all performance and what not. I know how to relocate stuff. That part is not challenging. Maybe this one will get you stickied!!!

if you dont know how to install a battery and need a tut that is sad...
Nice. Ass. Read the whole thread. Then comment. And if that is not clear enough for you, I added to it so CuTeboi was clearer as well.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Ass... that is all I have to say to that poster... he didn't even read the thread to begin with.

Either way, I'll post up how I did it and why. I'm trying to be discreet about the whole thing, and I'm tryign to make it look good. I am sure I can hide those wires and tuck the wires up towards the upper part of the engine bay.

I just need to find bulk cabling for 4 and 8 gauge automotive wiring, and some nice looking terminals to mount them to. I just seriously need to clean up my car's electrical wiring.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Cool. The wiring under the hood can be a real pain in the ass. I am not sure where you could get really nice wiring. If you have a stereo install place near by, see where (if they do) get their wiring from. May be a some from them next time they do an order to save shipping costs. What ever you do, I am sure it will work out just fine. I am for keeping the bottle, or a smaller one like you suggested. Nice to have.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
They use "qwest power" they are transparent cabling, but not sure how good that is 'under the hood' since under the hood it will be exposed to a lot more than just my bad BO on bad days...

I need something a little more industrial, and still flexible for automotive vibrations.

I've ordered a few catalogs, and looking around for cabling designed for industrial vehicles or automotive use. Hope to find something.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I was just thinking. Something I did while I was an aircraft electrician in the af was to use lots of heat shrink on the exposed areas. Worked well and sealed everything nicely. As far as outside type cable goes, anything with a good thick external layer (i.e. monster cable) will work. Heat shrink it like I said and you should be fine.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
it's the cable jackets I'm worried about, the terminals are not much of a worry, I heat shrink them when I'm done moving them around.

Quick Reply: Optima battery sizes?