Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Opinions wanted

Howdy. I am getting to the stage where I am probably going to upgrade the speakers in the Fit this fall. I currently have the Pioneer DEHP5000UB unit installed with the factory speakers. In my 2000 Civic I had some Pioneer 6.5" components installed. At the time, they were powered by my old MTX 4x75 amp. Sounded really sharp. In my old 2001 Civic sedan, I rolled with the stock stereo powering some 6.5" Polk 2-ways up front, and some old 6.5" Alpine speakers out back. I actually thought that set up sounded better - not as loud, but more clear.

In the Fit, my biggest gripe is the sound is way too bassy, and not in a good way. I realize in theory a component system should sound better than a 2-way speaker. However, those Polks sounded awesome. I'm sure a Polk component system >> Pioneer component system, though. I'm wondering which of these options, available through Crutchfield, would be a better bet? A lot of the decision will come down to price, as I have way too many other bills to pay. Being an adult/husband/father sucks like that.

Alpine SPS-600C
Infinity Kappa 60.7cs - these would be about as high as I want to go as far as price, but I'd like to be able to do the rear door speakers, too.
Polk db651s

After looking at those, I'm probably leaning toward the Infinity set up. I suppose the next quesiton would be where to get my bass from. I have a couple amps at my disposal (brother has some nice ones just lying around). I have two old Pioneer 8" subs, one of which I'd build an enclosure for and use in the trunk area. The downside is, I'd have to take it out during the week for work. I saw this, and was intrigued.

Blaupunkt THB200A

I have not measured anything, but I thought it might be a nice option for under the front seat. But then I'm not sure if the bas s could potentially drown out the other sound. I guess I just need some advice.

I listen to mostly rock and talk radio on Sirius. Every now and again, you need to throw on some real rap (NWA, Snoop/Dre/etc), not this garbage they market as rap now. I'm not a bass head, but I do like to hear some thump once in a while.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Well I love my polk db6500's, this years model is the 6501's. Paired with a nice sub and an amp they really shine. They don't give you bass/"thump" that comes from like a 6x9 but you don't need em too when a sub is paired beside em Midtones are great from em IMO and the silk tweeters I'm happy with. Titanium tweeters are a lil pingy/ringy to me...but the silk ones are sorta, iono, I like em but they aren't perfect I guess. Like they aren't as defined I guess you could say as I like.

edit: wow...just seen the 6501's are $200, I got my 6500's for $150 but that was also when they were getting rid of em for the 6501's.

Last edited by shazaam; 07-19-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
I have Kappa 60.9cs up front and 62.9i full range in back. These things sounds really good, but comparing them to the Infinity Reference speakers I had in my truck, they sound about the same, and the Reference speakers are cheaper. If I were to buy again I would probably go for the cheaper Reference sets. The Kappas though sound really good. There is some bass, nothing booming, but very possibly enough. Everyones taste is different so there's no way to know until you install them. For me I could have easily gotten away with them and been fine, but I did want to add more bass so I got an Infinity Basslink. That thing puts out even more bass than I wanted/expected, but still definitely happy with it. Look for a thread I have here with some pics. It doesnt take up a lot of space, and I have it so it is easily removed when I need to take it out.

When you do replace the OEM speakers, you are going to be amazed how unsubstantial they really are.

Last edited by Rod2Rice; 07-20-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
I just posted this link on another thread. Quick, easy, very high quality and comes with a speaker grille. For your sub:
JL Audio: Products