Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

New DVD/Navi headunit installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Funchy
How is it working for you? Anything you especially like or don't like?

I am curious about the GPS. How fast does it update when it loses signal or you go off route? I used to have a Garmin that took minutes to sort itself out if it lost signal.

Also, does it have the annoying "feature" that has a voice which reminds the driver he/she is over speed limit? I know one of the big brands had this and I'm trying to avoid it!

TIA
So far I am really liking it. This is the first GPS unit I have ever had or even used, but as far as updating it, its pretty quick. I'd say a few seconds at most. I dont know if this is typical of a GPS or not, but a few weeks ago when I had the car in NYC, the GPS went all wacky on me. It was telling me I was as many as 4 blocks away that the one I was on. It also had to be from when I was in the city, but the car stats listed my max MPH as 101, and I have never come close to that! I assume its just because of the buildings, signals must bounce all over the place. Thats the only possible reason I can come up with. Doesnt matter since I dont need to use it when in the city, but I put it on just for the heck of it.

It does have a feature that will make a chime if you go over the speed limit, but you can turn it off. Same goes for POI, if you are near one that you select it will notify you. it also has text to speech which is cool, so far most names are right on, a few have sounded a bit off, but no biggie as far as I am concerned.

As far as things I like/dislike, not too much on either end. The unit sits out a little farther than I would like, but that can be attributed to the fact that the face is removable. Good trade off as far as I am concerned. Getting to radio/Xm presets is menu based, which sucks a little since I am a constant channel flipper. Still not the end of the world. Screen is a little bright at night even at its dimmest setting, still I am living with it.

Sound quality though is great, an EQ was a must for me, and this has a 7 band one. Its also very expandable, can add cd changer, hd radio, sat radio, backup camera, rear screens, you name it. Only thing I am waiting for is the right cable to come out so my XM works properly, until Terk gets their ass in gear I am only getting XM out of the left channel at full volume, and the right side at about 1/4 volume.

Hope this helps!@