Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Airbag off light intermittent after AVIC-D3 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Airbag off light intermittent after AVIC-D3 install

Hey all,

I'm the proud new owner of a Fit Sport, which I promptly decided to outfit with an AVIC-D3 nav system (metra kit, bluetooth adapter, ipod connection) a few weeks after purchasing it.

I wound up getting it installed through InstallerNet (via cruchfield), as I didn't know any decent installers in my area (the work is warrantied this way).

Since the install, the "Airbag Off" light has well, turned off. It used to be on all the time without someone in the passenger seat. Sometimes it turns on at start, and then back off after moving, occasionally back on. Clearly something is wrong, but before I go back to the installer, I wanted to see if anyone had any bright ideas about where to point the guy? I'm guessing there's a loose connection (i'm hoping that's the extent of it) somewhere.

Help?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
mine is off all the time. Once u turn the car on, it turns on for a brief 4 seconds and turns off. It will also turn on if my sister sits in the passenger seat and leans all the way forward, it will turn off. It will also turn on when i have heavy objects on the passenger seat of my car (laptop bag + bookbag). It's normal. I think before the install, you thought u saw it always on when in fact it's always off.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I've found my 'airbag off' light behaving differently recently on my 08 Fit Sport. It used to be lit all the time when I was driving alone, but recently I've noticed it going off or sometimes turning on/off.

My understanding is that there are sensors to turn the airbag off if there is <65lbs in the passenger seat, if the seat is all the way forward, and possibly other situations.

I don't know what's going on with this but maybe it isn't related to your recent install...

(Airbag info from a random Fit product page)
Deployment of the front passenger's airbag is regulated by crash severity, seatbelt usage as well as the weight of the occupant. Sensors under the seat gauge occupant weight and if the total weight on the passenger seat is less than the NHTSA-specified FMVSS specifications (about 65 pounds), the airbag system will not deploy, minimizing the potential for injury to children. The ECU then deactivates the front passenger's airbag from functioning and triggers a "Passenger Airbag Off" indicator light in the instrument panel center stack. Similar to what is available on the driver's side, the airbags are deployed at the speed appropriate to the speed and severity of the collision - slower for lower speed collisions, more quickly for higher speeds.