Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Amp Recommendations Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Amp Recommendations Needed

Hey,

Got these for free and need recommendations on what Amps to get:

(2) Alpine Type R 10" Subwoofers - Model SWR-1042D
(1) Eclipse 6.5" Component - Model SC8264
(1) Eclipse 6.5" 3-Way - Model SE8363

Probably gonna get an Optima yellow top battery to go with it too. Do you think I need a Cap as well?

All brand new from a buddy who makes speakers for a living

***EDIT***

Also have to get a custom box built.

***EDIT***

Last edited by dbcmaster; 06-24-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dbcmaster
Hey,

Got these for free and need recommendations on what Amps to get:

(2) Alpine Type R 10" Subwoofers - Model SWR-1042D
(1) Eclipse 6.5" Component - Model SC8264
(1) Eclipse 6.5" 3-Way - Model SE8363

Probably gonna get an Optima yellow top battery to go with it too. Do you think I need a Cap as well?

All brand new from a buddy who makes speakers for a living
all i know is if its alpine subs than stick with an alpine amp, your most likely going to have two amps, one for the subs and one for the speakers, i have a 285 watt alpine 2 channel amp powering my 10" JL audio w2 and that thing is so load its not even funny, alpine makes some awesome amps so u cant go wrong with that.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
no need to stick with the same brand name equipment, that's mumbo jumbo...what kind of budget you have for amps and install?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
no need to stick with the same brand name equipment, that's mumbo jumbo...what kind of budget you have for amps and install?
i didnt say he had to stick with the same amp, i was just saying alpine would be a good choice, hes got the subs so why not get the same amp? man everyone on this stinking forum is all the same, they dont have any respect for others, i only was trying to help the guy out, u didnt have to be a jerk a make it out like dont listen to that other guy, he doesnt know what hes talking about

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sweet, can't go wrong with the Type R's I find they have the best sound in a sealed box, pay special attention to the volume recommendations. They don't need as much space as most people think. Granted sealed boxes don't sound as loud, but the bass travels like a mysterious shock wave out of these subs. The 10's have a great punch, the sealed box lets you run them a little deeper.

I would suggest a picking up a 1 or even 2 farad cap for that setup. Also don't skimp on the wiring, get 4 gauge at the minimum.

Alpine makes great amps, but personally I find them over priced for what they are. I actually really like the sound you get out of Kicker amps, I think it is much better quality for about the same price and it seems like they are always underrated for the amount of power they deliver. Another good one to check out would be Phoenix Gold (drool). If you are building on a budget I always like to check out the Clarion lineup, back when I was poor I found they have great durability and generally put out a nice clean sound.

If there is any lineup to avoid stay away from Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer base line. Just my opinion, but I think they stink. It has been a while since I have played around with them, but the explode lineup especially sounds like utter sh!t and doesn't even come close to delivering the giant unobtainable marketing power label they throw on it. I will note that Pioneer has a premium line called Premier which is not bad... just pricey.

Just my opinion anyway, not out to offend anybody PM RadarEclipse, he seems to be well in the game right now. I would bet he has some good amp recommendations as well.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-24-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input so far.

I had no decision with the speakers. I just asked him to ship something with the size that I wanted.

As for pricing ... I'm not looking to go nuts. Money doesn't matter too much. However, I am interfacing with the factory head unit and am not really looking to be heard from a mile away. Just looking to make it sound nice.

I have a cap I can use probably, now that I think about it. More than likely it will be 4 or 2 gauge wiring. Still deciding on whether or not I want to do the install of the wiring or not. Last time I did a "clean" install, it took roughly eight hours. But, that was hiding the cap in a center console and removing the entire rear seating area of a Dodge Dakota Sport.

I have some sound deadening stuff to put in the doors as well. Debating on doing the rest of the car too.

Ideally, I just want to get the amps, wiring, battery, and box built. Then do the install.

Do you think I should do separate boxes for each sub or just one box? I was kind of leaning towards two boxes.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
used to LOVE type r's but EVERY dam one i owned the surround comes off of them after about a month lol every dam pair thay hit but seem to be put togeather crapy, then i moved to full memphis and fell in love
after rolling memphis i dont think i would ever go back to anything else my mojo's crushed

Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
the surrounds falling off was 2 generations ago witht he type-R's ... in Montreal here with the winter cold it was more of a problem.

For amps your really wide open then. if you want a good 5 channel Memphis Belle MCH1300 4x75Wrms for the speakers and 1x550@2ohm mono. or 1X1100 at 1ohm mono if you wanna upgrade later and does not need a subwoofer input.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I have 2 elemental designs nine.2 and the work really well. One powers the sub and the other the front stage. The rears are power off the deck but i usually don't have them on.