Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

First time car audio *noob*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Question First time car audio *noob*

I want to expand the existing system in my car (Honda FiT) in my bud's j30 they added 2 subs on top of the existing system

I would like to start with that then start replacing the stock speakers later, I like the look of the factory head unit it just looks clean with the car

so for my 2 subs this is what i see i need:

So now lets put together a parts list for my car:

line-level converter : Soundgate LOCX
Amp: infinity 1600a
Sub: MTX RT12X2A
Adapters:
wires:
Speaker Cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Audio Connection cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks a lot
~alfa

Last edited by alfa147x; 05-27-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
why not go with an infinity 1600a? It will run at a 2ohm load and you'll only have to wire one amp.

As far as wiring, check out knukonceptz.com. They have complete amp kits for under 50 bucks that includes all the wiring you'd need.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by hondaf1racing
why not go with an infinity 1600a? It will run at a 2ohm load and you'll only have to wire one amp.

As far as wiring, check out knukonceptz.com. They have complete amp kits for under 50 bucks that includes all the wiring you'd need.
Thanks I added that and changed the subs

Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
te infinity subs were better tha the MTX. really go out to some shop and listen to what they have before you choose.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Injundon
te infinity subs were better tha the MTX. really go out to some shop and listen to what they have before you choose.
yeah in that case ill have to buy the 2nd sub later

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Look for the Infinity Kappa Perfects if you want a really nice sub. The MTX's are ok for rock if your on a budget.

For shallow enclosures might look at Boston Acoustics and the Treo SSI line of subs. I have a pair of 10" Treo's under the back seat of my Titan and they dig really deep for a pair of 10's, only issue is they do like alot of power.

If your wanting to improve overall sound quaility a aftermarket H/U is a must IMO.

Good luck!

Edit: Just to expound on my comments, I've tried doing what you're attempting by keeping the stock HU but never got the sound I truely wanted. Even with nice components in the doors pushed by decent amps the sound quaility just wasn't there. Once I broke down and installed my Alpine HU I got the sound I was after.

Last edited by Matt34; 05-28-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Matt34
Look for the Infinity Kappa Perfects if you want a really nice sub. The MTX's are ok for rock if your on a budget.

For shallow enclosures might look at Boston Acoustics and the Treo SSI line of subs. I have a pair of 10" Treo's under the back seat of my Titan and they dig really deep for a pair of 10's, only issue is they do like alot of power.

If your wanting to improve overall sound quaility a aftermarket H/U is a must IMO.

Good luck!

Edit: Just to expound on my comments, I've tried doing what you're attempting by keeping the stock HU but never got the sound I truely wanted. Even with nice components in the doors pushed by decent amps the sound quaility just wasn't there. Once I broke down and installed my Alpine HU I got the sound I was after.
I left my stock speakers in for a few days when I put my new HU in and it was a big improvement. I think the stock system lacks alot of midbass.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Matt34

Good luck!

Well I was going to go this way the work my way up, when I do expand ill only lose $25 from this set up... Not to shabby OMO

Originally Posted by hondaf1racing
I left my stock speakers in for a few days when I put my new HU in and it was a big improvement. I think the stock system lacks alot of midbass.

thanks for the help, I like posting in forums because then you get responses from people with 1st hand experiences

Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM
sample some w3's "JL's".. usually pretty smooth subs and pricing is affordable.. if you're looking for a clean sound.. i had mtx.. and high end infinity.. but never were satisfied with their overall sound matching my setup..

JL Audio 12W3v2-D4 12" Subwoofer set of 2 excellent NR! - eBay (item 130224696520 end time May-29-08 04:37:37 PDT)

don't the exact ones in that auction.. but something like that..

Last edited by soujiro25; 05-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by soujiro25
sample some w3's "JL's".. usually pretty smooth subs and pricing is affordable.. if you're looking for a clean sound.. i had mtx.. and high end infinity.. but never were satisfied with their overall sound matching my setup..

JL Audio 12W3v2-D4 12" Subwoofer set of 2 excellent NR! - eBay (item 130224696520 end time May-29-08 04:37:37 PDT)

don't the exact ones in that auction.. but something like that..
IMO if your not going with the W6/W7 series(which are great subs btw), there are better middle of the road speakers than the JL's.

With that said.....Really, there is no step up, in terms of sound quality. The Kappa Perfects are simply low distortion(far lower than a human can detect with music), transparent devices with incredible flexibility(the VQ versions have motors that can be physically adjusted to work in any alignment ideally).

Now, you can *upgrade* to higher SPL units, if you want to call that an upgrade. You can *upgrade* to something with lower frequency response - but in a large enough cabinet you can get high output at 12-13Hz or so with the 12VQ Kappa Perfects.

Don't take my word for it though, look around the net and you will find plenty of 3rd party measurements that back my statements.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 VQ (perfect12vq) , Component Subwoofers, 12" Component Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix

Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
There are a lot of good subs out there. You may want to also consider some of the internet companies too, like eD (elemental design) or Image Dynamics.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
remember too your always better off with 1 good sub than 2 cheapo's. and match it with the right box.

1 12" sub in a ported box=2 12's in a sealed box for output given the same power.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
it's all about subjective sound.. you could have 1000 reviews.. positive about a speaker.. but if you don't like it, then it's not worth the cash..

for front speakers, i've been though infinity reference, infinity kappa perfects, diamond audio hex's, and polks.. the kappa's tweeters were too bright even attenuated down.. i have gone through a couple subs also..
mtx, kicker, infinity kappa perfect, and jl.. i liked the jl's.. they gave a smoother bass that filled and blended well with the car.. other's were just punchy and "headache".. best solution..?? go out and listen.. if you don't.. you'll be wasting your money going through speakers like this idiot.. <-- me.. THE END..

Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
it's not all subjective, it's very much objective and technical. THD and frequency response play a large part for speakers as well as speaker placement and the cars interior. The Kappa tweeters work very well in large cars where every panel is upholstered.

For subwoofers, the enclosure makes ALOT of difference as well. putting a JL audio 12W3v3 into a .5cu.ft sealed box will make it sound like total poop. there's A LOT more science to it than people think

Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a Solo L7 12 in a vented Kicker box i would be willing to sell, but don't want to ship.

also have a IMPP 12 in a bandpass p.o.s. box ......

just FYI.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
remember too your always better off with 1 good sub than 2 cheapo's. and match it with the right box.

1 12" sub in a ported box=2 12's in a sealed box for output given the same power.
Good idea and it would save space, I was thinking of building a box iv build HT sub boxes before and this shouldnt be too different any idea on which sub?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
it's not all subjective, it's very much objective and technical. THD and frequency response play a large part for speakers as well as speaker placement and the cars interior. The Kappa tweeters work very well in large cars where every panel is upholstered.

For subwoofers, the enclosure makes ALOT of difference as well. putting a JL audio 12W3v3 into a .5cu.ft sealed box will make it sound like total poop. there's A LOT more science to it than people think
Correct. Although the subjective aspect is an important part of the equation. For instance, MB Quart tweeters were much brighter than some Polk tweeters in the same installation of my 4-Runner.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DVFlyer
There are a lot of good subs out there. You may want to also consider some of the internet companies too, like eD (elemental design) or Image Dynamics.

UM ID isn't so much an internet company. They are carried in alot of stores all over the place. An internet company would be something more like , SSA, Fi, Incriminator Audio, Ascendant Audio, Mach5Audio, etc.

If you are interested in internet based companies i would look to SSA Forums: (Car Audio at its Best!)

Those guys have alot of knowledge to share.

You never really seemed to put in what type of music you are looking to play. How loud you want to get. Honestly if your buying an infinity amp then you are just wasting your money especially if your going to put it on some road thunder speakers from MTX. or any MTX speakers for that matter. If you want a decent sounding cheap setup I'd look more like the Alpine type S 12" on a MRP-M500, both alpine. Or maybe 2 kicker comp 12" or 10" on a zx400.1. Both kicker. There are lots of setups like that. Also 2 12" P112S4 from rockford with the P300.1 Trust me that will get plenty loud in your car. And all of those in sealed boxes.

I am a manager for a car stereo shop. I've already had 15 differnet setups in my fit. Some were the ones listed. I actually liked the way that the rockford setup sounded. Wasn't TOO loud but good enough specially if you've never had a system before. I used to compete alot so it takes alot to impress me. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. You can ask some of the guys who were at the Austin fit meet. they heard one of my setups. And it was just a kicker zx500.1 and a L510 in a kicker ported box.

You can go out and listen to speakers in the shops in the soundrooms but it will never sound like that in you car. They can put certain speakers in certain spots to make them sound better than others. In those rooms your ears will lie to you. lol. what you need to do is see if any of your friends have stereos. See what they have 2 10s 2 12s or whatever especially if they have a hatchback. Because hatchback cars make everything louder. Hear it in your friends vehicles. Don't neccesarily have to get the same speakers just listen for a setup you like.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM

agree there's alot of science to it.. even with positioning sub boxes forward or backward.. having ported vs sealed.. or even reasons for dynamating.. so yes there are objective and technical specs that factor into car audio..

but on the other hand if i asked you which 6.5 speakers were the best? would anybody be able to answer that? some prefer rainbow, others mb quart, others focals.. if it were based on technical numbers then you would have an immediate answer.. i've looked weeks and months into speaker reviews.. and that's where i went wrong.. reviews can guide you on some aspects of purchasing.. but shouldn't be the sole decision maker.. nothing beats going to the store and "hearing", even though acoustics play differently in a store.. will give you a better idea of what you would like to purchase.. and then of course price coming into factor.. so lets say you're going to buy a home theatre system or even a boom box or computer speakers.. of course it sounds different.. you have a wide open store without anything to bounce off of.. vs.. home space or car area.. it's good to listen, because you get some ability to compare speaker to speaker.. go ahead and argue it's not the same as a car.. but still a comparison can be made.. and if you're buying computer speakers.. you're still going to listen to them in the store first right?? but the ideal is maybe to meet up with fits who have car audio installed.. and listen.. that would be the best way.. but not always readily available.. gl

Last edited by soujiro25; 05-28-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
um anyone who would be looking for focal or rainbow, would have turned a deaf ear to MB Quart a long ass time ago. Seeing as they got bought out and quality went to shit. Unless you MB Quart is more than about 4 or 5 years old its not what u think it is. Its just a name. While i understand what your saying. There is a "best" in each price point. Otherwise there wouldn't be ratings and whatnot and a best of category for stuff like that.

Quick Reply: First time car audio *noob*