Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

First time car audio *noob*

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Going to a store and listening to speakers is a great experience. But if some of you keep buying from useless internet companies, imagine all the retail stores going out of business and you'll never be able to experience sound the proper way before buying it. Food for thought! Where the buying experience from that.

On another thought, if you step back and look at what Infinity has brought to the car audio market vs. a company like JL Audio, you should be able to determine who has the real deal in engineering, product quality, and sound quality. I'll step down from the soap box now.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
(stepping up on the previously occupied soapbox)

Nothing wrong with buying from internet companies. Like it or not, this is the way of the future.

And just because someone sells their car audio products in a retail store does not mean their products are better (or worse) designed or engineered.

Using your installation as an example, there is no way you could have duplicated that installation in a retail store. Most subs in retail stores are installed in walls facing the listener and would never re-create the cabin gain and loading you're producing in your car, therefore, you couldn't judge the sound of the sub based on an in-store listening session.

Component speakers are another story.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
all a car really needs is components in the front, no rear speakers and subs in the back. thats the way to go for SQ

Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DVFlyer
(stepping up on the previously occupied soapbox)
Nothing wrong with buying from internet companies. Like it or not, this is the way of the future.
And just because someone sells their car audio products in a retail store does not mean their products are better (or worse) designed or engineered.
Using your installation as an example, there is no way you could have duplicated that installation in a retail store. Most subs in retail stores are installed in walls facing the listener and would never re-create the cabin gain and loading you're producing in your car, therefore, you couldn't judge the sound of the sub based on an in-store listening session.
Component speakers are another story.
Actually I was only thinking about components when I mentioned that. Sometimes my mind is moving faster and independently, especially late at night. The internet has been here for years already. It's just that SO many "noob advices" come across based on a picture on the internet with no clue as to what goes into great product.

My system is just as mentioned by bigtoepfer, front components (actually two sets) and subs in the rear. The factory speaker location in the rear door and cup holder were removed.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
all a car really needs is components in the front, no rear speakers and subs in the back. thats the way to go for SQ
Agreed...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
yeah. My setup is going to end up being something along the lines of what you have. Haven't decided if i'm going to put two midbasses in the front doors tho. Aside from looks i don't need it. however i only dream of putting like the Focal Utopia Be 3-way setup. Or the Morel Supremo 6. But i don't ever see myself spending 2-4 grand just on components. LOL. I looking into what i want to do with my system. Infinity, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate are offering me some good deals to put there stuff in my car. So i don't know what i'm gonna do yet.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
2-way systems typically are easier to deal with acoustically than a 3-way.
I have two mids with a tweeter at the top of them in the middle. The second tweeter is in the dash in aluminum housings. Keep it simple and go with one component. The dampening of the door is the real effort to put forward. I have 9 lbs in each front door, and 6 in each of the rear doors.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
second image was broken

Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
this thread has gone way off topic. We should start up a general expriences/discussion like this thread is turning out to be. Unfortunately my fit is not my sound car, it's the scoot around baby carrier. so I just have focal 165K2P's in the doors running off a Bassworx amp (150x2) and an alpine 9887

Last edited by Injundon; 05-29-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't say it's way off topic. It's about ICE. A first time noob can benefit from it. Did you dampen your doors for the Focals? Big improvement if you did. What's a Passworx amp?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
wow, your scoot around car has KP2s a 9887, and a bassworx? LOL well ur baby scoot is what i'd only dream my car to be. I do have the 9887 already tho. lol

Last edited by bigtoepfer; 05-29-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
I wouldn't say it's way off topic. It's about ICE. A first time noob can benefit from it. Did you dampen your doors for the Focals? Big improvement if you did. What's a Passworx amp?
Bassworx amp..cheapo, I'm always using my hatch for cargo and other stuff and didn't want to kill my FP 150.2

Also my fit has 3 dymnamat extreme bulk packs keeping th noise down.

I'm a professional installer. employee discounts are good also had partial sponsorship from Orca dsign (Focal/steg/audiocontrol distributor)

Last edited by Injundon; 05-29-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
i'm looking into getting the alpine PDX series of amp since they are small and can fit most anywhere

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM
they aren't as small as you may think, decent amps though, but pretty dang pricey

Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Man, talk about getting off topic!

Back on topic, to the original question - what are your goals for your system? By that, I mean how much room do you want to give up? How much power into what Ohm load do you have available? What kind of sound are looking for? How loud do you want your system to be? And lastly, what is your frame of reference?

All of those things play a key role in how your system will end up. If you only have 2 cubic feet of space for 2 12's, you just eliminated a lot of subwoofer options and got a lot more focused. Like-wise, if you're willing to give up 5 cubic feet you've opened the door to a LOT of subwoofers.

Also knowing whether or not you've got a stock or upgraded electrical system will help.

Anyway, if all you've heard is a few MTX subwoofers and you're happy with the way they perform then by all means go out and buy some. If you'd like better sound quality, there are a lot of other options. With the technology that a lot of subwoofer manufacturers are using now-a-days you can nab better sound quality and a smaller enclosure compared to their own previous subwoofers. And what's not to like about that? Smaller enclosure, better sound quality, less mounting depth, and less weight.