Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Ipod Alternative- 8 Gig. MP3 on your Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned
Talking Ipod Alternative- 8 Gig. MP3 on your Steering Column

I have been so much in love with CDs since they replaced audio cassettes as playback media in automobiles that I ignored the trend toward Ipods and other MP3 devices. That finally changed in a recent week long trip from Central Coast, CA, over the Sierras to the Carson Valley, NV. I finally got so tired of rattling jewel cases of CDs all over the car, and fumbling to get one CD out of the head unit and another one loaded while avoiding traffic.

But I was still resistant to joining the herd migration to "Ipod-Land". I found another brand of MP3 player that holds 8 Gigs (2000 tracks is enough for me, at least for now). This will play through the "AUX" channel of the Fit head unit, but unlike an Ipod Classic, our head unit can't change tracks or playlists with this device, so my new device had to stay within reach, and within sight of its display screen. Here's the link for the iRiver Clix 8 Gig. MP3:
iriver - clix gen 2

The Clix only comes with earphones, the USB connector and software for your computer for importing or downloading your music, photos, or videos. So I went to the nearest Radio Shack and bought a 3 foot 1/8" stereo male patch cord, along with a right angle adapter. $10-12.00 cost.

Then, using 1/16" thick, 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" aluminum angle from Ace Hardware, I cut a piece that was 2 1/2" long. I chucked one side of the angle bracket in my vise, and used a large screwdriver as a lever to pry up the corners of the bracket side that was facing me horizontally along the top of the vise jaws. This makes a "cupped" shape of the previously flat side of the bracket, and the cup fairly well follows the curve of the top of the steering column.
This view shows the "cup"

Then, using 2" wide Industrial Strength Velcro (also available at Ace Hardware, or Cyberguys.com - Computer Parts, Cables and Accessories. Hard to Find Computer Parts, PC Components, USB, computer workstation carts, LCD mounts, Ziotek Brand, I cut 3" long strips of the soft, loop Velcro and covered all sides of the angle bracket. I carefully centered the bracket on the Velcro strips so that the Velcro stuck out past the ends of the bracket by 1/4" on each end of the bracket. After sticking the Velcro over the flat sides of the metal, I compressed the 1/4" extensions together so that they made a nice sealed border around all the edges, and there was no bare metal exposed anywhere. I then cut a 3 1/2" wide strip of the hook side of the Velcro, and after cleaning the surface with alcohol, stuck the hook side strip to the top of the steering column. The cupped side of the bracket faces the gauges, and the flat vertical side faces the driver. I used another piece of the hook side to cover the back side of the Clix MP3 device, and stuck it onto the bracket.
Back view of bracket:

Front view

Strp of hook Velcro on column:

Bracket mounted on column:

iRiver "Clix" mounted to bracket:

Device with screen lighted (displays a different, brilliant color each time you turn it on:

After the player has been operating for about 30 seconds, the display turns off, but the output keeps playing through the head unit. This keeps the player from being distracting while driving at night. Just poke the bottom of the screen to change tracks, or poke any of the other three navigator points on the screen to change playlists, artists, menus, etc.

When you park the car, you can either peel the device off and stick it in your pocket and leave the bracket on the column, or peel the bracket off too and drop it in the "now empty with no CDs" pocket in the door.

This suits my needs, but your own needs may be different. The cost of the "Clix" is about the same as I have seen for 8 Gig Ipod Classics.

Using the Clix graphic equalizer along with the sound level adjustments of the head unit can pretty much overload the stock speakers, especially with bass frequencies. So, my next project will be the addition of a powered sub removeably mounted in the "trunk",

Last edited by manxman; 05-19-2008 at 09:43 PM.