Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

iPod mounting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
iPod mounting ideas?

I'm looking for a slick way to mount an iPod to the dash or console. Appreciate any pics or links you can share.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
I've been thinking about this too... not an iPod, though... been thinking about mounting my PSP in there.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned
I have been very slow to get into the MP3 player market, but finally bought one to get rid of the rattling jewel boxes full of CDs all over my car and to eliminate the danger of changing discs while driving. My solution won't help the guys with Ipods, but I did not buy an Ipod specifically because of the "where/how do I mount this thing" issue.

I have shot photos of my solution, and will post them later, but this is what I did. I bought a player from iriver - The Future of Entertainment called the "iRiver Clix". This player has 8 gig memory, sufficient for 2,000 tracks. It measures 1 3/4" high X 3" wide X 1/4" thick, and has a screen that is 1 3/8" high X 1 3/4" wide (viewed horizontally). It is a touch screen that navigates by touching it at the top, bottom, left or right to go through the menus. On/off, volume, and sub-menus are activated by small tabs around the edges of the device. Screen brightness and even a graphic equalizer are also adjustable.

The point of this description is that I use a removable mount right on top of the steering column, made from 1/16" thick, 1 1/2" aluminum angle available from your Ace Hardware store. My angle bracket is completely covered in the soft, black "loop" style Industrial Strength Velcro. I have a strip of the "hook" style black Velcro on the top of the steering column, and the back of the player is also covered with the hook Velcro.

The Velcro holds the angle bracket and player just below the speedo, and I can activate any of the controls by reaching through the steering wheel spokes to click the controls. Works great, and it doesn't take my eyes too far away from the windshield for long enough to be unsafe. I first tried the angle bracket mount right under the HVAC controls with more Velcro. That also worked fine except for making the tiny screen even further away and drawing my eyes too far down from the view of the road.

Photos to come later. For anyone interested in the iRiver Clix, I bought mine from an eBay vendor for a price about $10.00 cheaper than the manufacturer. You can download music at any of the usual sites, but I use "Rhapsody" since it is recommended by this manufacturer.

Last edited by manxman; 05-12-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
throw the dame thing in the glove box

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sonicsc1
throw the dame thing in the glove box
Only if I can stuff you in there to change albums/tracks for me.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like you can use the cradle they have on their site to mount that someplace.

Wire the USB to the cig lighter, since the USB needs a 5v source, I'm sure those cell phone chargers and the ipod adapters with USB converters to give it juice, audio out for the stereo.. I like this =D

Looks better than the ipod ones too... can't wait to see your solution to mounting it.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Looks like you can use the cradle they have on their site to mount that someplace.

Wire the USB to the cig lighter, since the USB needs a 5v source, I'm sure those cell phone chargers and the ipod adapters with USB converters to give it juice, audio out for the stereo.. I like this =D

Looks better than the ipod ones too... can't wait to see your solution to mounting it.
Anthony,

I'll get the photos up sometime today. I thought about the iRiver Clix Cradle, but it would have raised the device high enough to obscure the lower part of the speedo. The device battery lasts long enough to make me not worry about getting 12V power to it during driving, but I may try to find a universal USB car charger anyway. Didn't want a permanent mount, and mine is completely removable except for the hook Velcro strip across the top of the steering column (it's black, and invisible looking through the windows).

To the OP- sorry- didn't mean to threadjack. I think that your device(s) are too big to mount on the steering column, even a Nano. But if you have a Nano, consider using aluminum angle Velcroed underneath the HVAC pods on the bottom of the dash. But that may give you the same problem it gave me- too far away to read the small screen (although the tracks can be changed with the stock head unit controls- those controls don't work for non-Ipods). Oh wait, I don't think that Nanos work with the search controls on the head unit.

Photos will be posted in a new thread since this info. does NOT concern Apple Ipods (again sorry to hijack the thread).

Last edited by manxman; 05-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi

Tony-
Here's the link to the new thread---
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post307913