Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

I know, very dumb question, Ipod/USB

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 AM
I know, very dumb question, Ipod/USB

OK, first off, I'm thinking about buying a new head unit for the Fit. I want one that has a front USB port so I can use the USB sticks instead of my Ipod. Now, heres the dumb questions. Can I transfer the music from my Itunes library to a USB stick? Also, on a little unrelated note, when you guys rip music from your cds to the computer, what format has the best quality, i.e., MP3, WMA, etc.....

Thanks for reading!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not an expert but here's my recent experience -

- USB sticks are great, probably the best portable storage now that the prices are coming down, but they're just a way to carry files, it's the files, encoders and the player that are the limiting factors in formats, quality, and portability

- Proprietary formats tend to be more efficient than open formats, if you can hear the difference and your player will support them. I don't hear a difference at the second highest MP3 compression vs WMA but I'm not a true audiophile and I only have the stock HU.

- DRM - iTunes and some WMA files require DRM support, my Rio player supports DRM, my car MP3 player does not (MP3 has no DRM AFAIK, WMA can, and iTunes (M4P) does).

- You can download format converters - for iTunes and DRM'd WMA, read these as DRM breakers - but this violates the iTunes license you signed and has other obvious legal issues. Alternatively, you can burn your iTunes to a CD, then rip from the CD. Sound quality is compromised but it isn't bad and better than ripping from a youtube video (if that's legal). Some online stores are blowing off DRM (Amazon MP3 for example), if you can legally find the music you want without DRM, then DRM won't be an issue for you.

- I just purchased a 4GB PNY USB flash memory stick from Staples for $20 in store. I think an 8GB stick is going for around $40. Sale ends this week. Back in the early 90's, I worked with a computer that had 2GB ram. Cost $200K, how times change.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah DRM is really the limitation. Thats why I switched from itunes to Windows Media because alot of the online stores are now selling music without DRM. I pretty much just burned my CDs from itunes and then imported them into WMA.

Like Rob said the easiest solution is to just burn the songs to audio cd and then rip them. THeres one popular version of itunes DRM unlocker but you need to have an old version of itunes.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Usb

Just one comment: you don't need a USB port in the front of the deck. I installed a Pioneer DEH P5000UB with rear USB and Aux ports and just ran them to my glove box. No reason to have wires or other stuff hanging off the front of your HU, in my opinion.

Also, take a look at MediaMonkey software for ripping and converting files.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by percy
Just one comment: you don't need a USB port in the front of the deck. I installed a Pioneer DEH P5000UB with rear USB and Aux ports and just ran them to my glove box. No reason to have wires or other stuff hanging off the front of your HU, in my opinion.

Also, take a look at MediaMonkey software for ripping and converting files.
I just bought the same unit (delivered today) and I though the USB connection was on the face somewhere. Is it difficult to route the USB connection to the glove box or to the front somewhere? I have no idea why I assumed it would be on the front. I'm retarded like that. I can't wait to install it this weekend. Plus, if there's a 40G flash drive on sale at Staples, I'm so there. I will probably never need to carry another CD in the car again!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
First off, I want to thank you guys for replying! I didn't think I'd get much advise on this because its so "old news" for most of you. I will try to burn my itunes library to a disk and ripping it into Windows Media Player and see how it works.

One thing though, when burning the library to a disk, is itunes burning the songs at full length or at a compressed rate? I know when ripping into WMP, you have the choice of MP3 or WMA or am I thinking about this wrong?