Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

better sound with stock head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM
better sound with stock head unit

looking to upgrade the speakers in the Fit but want to keep the factory head unit. Anyone who has done this and likes the results please comment!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I am uber interested in this as well....
but more from ppl who actually did it this time rather than speculation (which is usually quite helpful....but wont really satisfy me on this one )

can we get more mids with just a speaker upgrade....(it doesnt look good but I am keeping my hopes up)

heck I will even go steal the speakers in a 7th gen civic coupe at this point. (i know the interior was far different and the head unit was diff on the LX but still.....I loved em!)

Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I am uber interested in this as well....
but more from ppl who actually did it this time rather than speculation (which is usually quite helpful....but wont really satisfy me on this one )

can we get more mids with just a speaker upgrade....(it doesnt look good but I am keeping my hopes up)

heck I will even go steal the speakers in a 7th gen civic coupe at this point. (i know the interior was far different and the head unit was diff on the LX but still.....I loved em!)

The problem with most factory head units is that:

1. They put out 5-10 watts RMS which is awful, and power like that would make even $2500 speakers sound terrible.
2. They have low quality, low voltage pre-outs. The sound doesn't come clear from the built-in amp to the speakers.
3. The processors built into factory head units are dismal in comparison to almost any aftermarket head unit. The sound just doesn't get what it deserves.
4. No pre-outs for subwoofers and amplifiers! Boo!

So, basically, regardless of speaker upgrades, you'll see tiny improvements.

Aside from that, I hear that even the stock speakers(which are probably paper) are even limited by the amp in the stock head unit. Many people report that the stereo sounds 10x better with just a new head unit.

IMO, tough it out until you can save up the money for a decent system. Spend $130 on a head unit from Eclipse/Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer, spend $50 on the dash kit(heck, while you're at it throw a scangauge in there!), and take the time on a saturday to put it in.

Later on, pick up some good component speakers for the front(I'd recommend Alpine Type X's, CDT, and Rainbow Audio) for around $200-250, pick up some nice midbass coaxials for the back(<$100), then throw an amp into the mix for $250 or so, and you'll have yourself a seriously rockin' system and maintain all of your trunk space.

If it's just not enough boom for you, though, pick up a woofer and another amp(for big bass I'd recommend a Soundsplinter RL-p 15", lowwww bass with excellent sound quality AND you'll be pushing 140 dBs with just the one driver, for less bass and more sound quality I love the Diamond D6 10", but I've heard great things about the Soundsplinter RL-i 10"). For an amplifier you can usually pick up something like a Viper d1000 for under $200 that would give your woofer 1000w RMS!

GL man, if you can get the factory HU to make some good music let us know!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
The head unit in any honda IMHO is a very weak link. Better speakers, ultra high end amps, add everthing you want and the sound will still be hindered by the super-cheap DAC and cheap Mosfet output section. No mtter what your looking at a very distorted signal.

Processors like the rockford fosgate 3sixty and Alpine F.I.T help EQ..but still don't solve the crappy DAC problem

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't want to limit access to the spare so a huge sub set-up is not in the plan. All of my money would be spent on a 4 channel amp for the mids.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by gettin~Fit
I don't want to limit access to the spare so a huge sub set-up is not in the plan. All of my money would be spent on a 4 channel amp for the mids.
Dont hate me ppl...but here goes...

1)keep stock head unit
2)add a 4 channel amp for the mids (I really want my mids back)
3) I dont need a ton of bass ( I would like it a bit smoother, instead of just a clunk...like if it trailed a bit) But I will gladly sacrifice that for some mids
4)really want to make this as painless money wise and effort wise as possible
5) I loved the sound in my '01 civic coupe LX... I mean loved! It was bone stock! And I personally think that it ran circles around my Sport Fits system (even the radio reception was way better)

if #2 would do the trick or most of it...that would be fantastic

anybody do just that?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Snap Fit;246833]Dont hate me ppl...but here goes...

1)keep stock head unit
2)add a 4 channel amp for the mids (I really want my mids back)

Can't hate you a bit, this is a reasonable plan. You have full sound and no eyes looking at a aftermarket deck trying to steal it. I had a 2000 civic with mb quart all around with a 4x200 amp and it was perfect. The radio was a clarion pro audio that required the amp. I'd rather just skip that last part in the Fit.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
This might be a little off topic but I wanted to improve our stock head unit as well by adding RSX sub woofer that sits in the spare tire. But I haven't figure out how I would wire it. I've seen 1 member thats done it but can't find the picture
I like the stock unit was going to add an external harddrive for more mp3! heehee...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Keeping the stock head unit and adding amps won't change the "character" of your sound. It will just make a crappy signal louder. Not better, not cleaner. Not anything but louder.

I really hate all companies that no longer use standard DIN ro double Din head units from the factory. Integrating the head unit into the dash looks good and clean but deters so many people from good quality sound. Either that or the manufacturers can star using quality compnents their head units.

IMO the head unit in the Fit is way up there on the worst sounding OEM head units ever.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
that's very helpful info. So getting the new speakers is a waste unless I get a nice head unit. Are there head units available that can push a decent set of mids?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Anything from a repuatable brand name (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse, Clarion) would be good. If you are not going to use an amp they all sound close to the same since they all use the same if not extremely similar IC chips for their amplifier sections. Te higher end model you go, the more tuning features you get.

Changing just the speakers depending on which one's you get will just a little more low end and more tweeter, But midrange wil still sound kinda flat and distorted.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
responses in blue VVV

Originally Posted by Injundon
Keeping the stock head unit and adding amps won't change the "character" of your sound. It will just make a crappy signal louder. Not better, not cleaner. Not anything but louder.
Like the mids being louder....I think thats is all that I require
I can hear the mids but they have no presence too soft and quiet. Ok well mostly anyway.

I really hate all companies that no longer use standard DIN ro double Din head units from the factory. Integrating the head unit into the dash looks good and clean but deters so many people from good quality sound...
I would be all for that if I saw alot of aftermarket head units that were not rediculous looking or uber silly flashy or look way to intricate. And actually look like they belong in a car and not some new age wacky boom box from the 80's

IMO the head unit in the Fit is way up there on the worst sounding OEM head units ever.
Holly heck! If that aint the truth...idunno what is! Amen!
here is the bottom line with me-
I am basically no longer using the stereo anymore (it just bugs me too much now ) I dont even enjoy stuff I have listened to for 15 yrs or more on it.
The parts of the music that I really love are just not that present.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I have to agree on the flashy head units looking crappy. But this generation likes bright flashy lights, something about the growing popularity of ADD or something. My favorite head unit for looks(and for best sound for the buck) is the Pioneer Premiere 880PRS. It's just super clean lookign and very functional with all the processing you'll ever need.

Alpine as well are less about flash and more about quality construction and good sound.

Just changing the head unit and keeping the stock speakers will be VERY noticable change. More so than changing the speakers. If changing the HU for anybody isn't an option and they want to add amplifiers. the RF 3Sixty or Alpine F.I.T are pretty much a ncesity for better sound.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I really appreciate everyones feedback BTW

This really is one of the better communites out there...YAY!

Injundon, thanks I really have to check more of the stuff out that you prescribed/described in that last post of yours. I just want to enjoy my music and not get upset at the stereo, I have never been upset, confused, and saddened at a stereo before....

Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I been in the business quite awhile and one of the things I've noticed is that people who are genuinely concerned about good sound. Will save alot ofmoney doing it right the first time. When budget becomes an issue best way to go always change the head unit first, then upgrade the front components, Then add a sub/amps. And no skimping specially on components and sound deadening.

I've seen hundreds of people over the years try to get away with using w quality, cheap equipment and just spending more and more as the parts break or they hear something drastically better and end up dissapointed. '

I work at 2 different shops right now and the fail saf good sounding setup without spending too much coin is an middle end Alpine head unit. Focal Polyglass 165V1 components, for amps Anything repuatable that uses the CAE Standards for ratings. For subwoofers it depends on your tastes. For good balanced music with the potential to hurt your ears, a 12" subwoofer in a ported box works wonders.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon
I been in the business quite awhile and one of the things I've noticed is that people who are genuinely concerned about good sound. Will save alot ofmoney doing it right the first time. When budget becomes an issue best way to go always change the head unit first, then upgrade the front components, Then add a sub/amps. And no skimping specially on components and sound deadening.

I've seen hundreds of people over the years try to get away with using w quality, cheap equipment and just spending more and more as the parts break or they hear something drastically better and end up dissapointed. '

I work at 2 different shops right now and the fail saf good sounding setup without spending too much coin is an middle end Alpine head unit. Focal Polyglass 165V1 components, for amps Anything repuatable that uses the CAE Standards for ratings. For subwoofers it depends on your tastes. For good balanced music with the potential to hurt your ears, a 12" subwoofer in a ported box works wonders.
what do you think of the 3sixty.1(I'd get the .2 but I don't have a PDA) and the Cleansweep? How would you say they compare to aftermarket headunit quality sound?

Personally I really like the looks of the factory HU. I'd like to keep it if possible.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
the JL audio cleansweep is meh.. I don't have any personal experience with the RF 3Sixty but it has been reccomended by some of the people I look up to so I'm sure it works well. I've used the AudioCOntrol DQL-8 twice with amazing results. Only issue as I've said before is you'll still have a crappy DAC. You'll get all your crosovers, 1/3 octave EQ Smoothing and slightly cleaned up output. So you can get great in car frequency response and other goodies. But it still won't be a silky smooth sound you get from a good DAC... You might not notice this though.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
this is funny to me because everyone that rides in my car always compliments me on the sound of the stereo, like, "damn! the stereo sounds fuggin tight!" not saying it's the best (can't beat aftermarket) but there's gotta be something wrong with yours. either that or your ears. and i'd put money on you being tone deaf. are you sure you know the difference between mids, highs, and lows?! there's about a bazillion (well, at least more than a few) eq settings to work with to get a good sound out of it. or maybe the force is just strong with me. idk. just think posts like thses are hilarious that's all. wish i could help fix your dilemma tho, sorry good luck with life.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by los_creeper
this is funny to me because everyone that rides in my car always compliments me on the sound of the stereo, like, "damn! the stereo sounds fuggin tight!" not saying it's the best (can't beat aftermarket) but there's gotta be something wrong with yours. either that or your ears. and i'd put money on you being tone deaf. are you sure you know the difference between mids, highs, and lows?! there's about a bazillion (well, at least more than a few) eq settings to work with to get a good sound out of it. or maybe the force is just strong with me. idk. just think posts like thses are hilarious that's all. wish i could help fix your dilemma tho, sorry good luck with life.

Good sound these days is a term too many people don't fully understand. It's not anyones fault. Modern equipment available in the home, like your television, which is most peoples "reference" for how something should sound. CHeaply made portable stereos, 5.1 sound system in a box All these things attribute to peoples very low standards in sound.

"good sound" is a term thrown around way too loosely. The whole point of any sound system, wether it be a TV, radio, car radio etc are all supposed to reporoduce the sound of the original recording as accurately as possible. With the above mentioned low quality equipment being most peoples "reference" it's easy to be impressed with something that sounds marginally "good". The clear majority of people think a bassy sound system means it sounds great or even "amazing". Even is the highs are none existant and midrange sounds muffled and distorted.

My father is the perfect example of this with his Panasonic 5.1 home theater in a box that he swears by. I watch a movie at his house and I want to stab my ears with a rusty spoon.

Not going to offend anyone here. Just stating the reasons for most peoples ideas of "good sound"

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by los_creeper
Go to a SQ(Sound Quality) competition. You'll understand.

After I went to my first one and listened to some Rainbow Audio Ref series 6.5 components I never wanted to listen to stock speakers again.

It's like going to war in Iraq with an airsoft gun.

Quick Reply: better sound with stock head unit