Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Get your stereo advice here!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Get your stereo advice here!!

Ok guys I'm new here, but I've been doing stereo competitions for the past 6 years and actually held a world record back in 2004. If you guys need any advice on what stereo equipment you need, how to install it or you need somebody to point you to where you can get the best deal just ask me .

I have connections with MANY online retailers who offer discounts and I can probably save you guys some money.

I have some videos/pics of some old vehicles I've worked on/owned, here are a few

My Old Nissan Pickup, 4 Shocker Sig 15s, 4 Sundown Audio SAZ-3000ds ( 20,000 watts ) 16 batteries 160+db

Sundown Audio Amps and Fi Car Audio Sub

also here is a link to a test session we did on about 25 of the top subwoofers talked about online

ROE: Great 12" Challenge

Hopefully I can help out as much as possible here

and here is a shameless plug of my fit

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
so ive been doing some reading but due to extreme A.D.D. and not much time on my hands havent really found an answer so im hoping that you can help me out. back when i was working for pennies and driving an accord i bought the cheapest dual din unit i could find. the boss bv9450 i got it off of sonicelectronix for 350.00. i just need to know if this thing is worth keeping and what speaker specifications you would recommend if i did in fact use this reciever. its a fit sport so i was thinking of a set of components for the front and some... well not components for the rear. excuse the chopped up description im not to familiar with the whole car audio game.
this is part of the description of the reciever from sonic electonix.
  • Power Output:
    • Peak: 85 watts x 4 channels
Playback and Audio Features:
  • Playback of audio WMA, MP4, MP3, DVD, SVCD, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, and SDVD
  • PLL Synthesized tuner with 18FM/12AM presets
  • RDS (Radio Data System)
  • 1-Bit D/A converter
  • 8x oversampling
Expandability Options:
  • 2 sets of preamp outputs (front and rear)
In-Dash Receiver Specifications:
any and all help would be much appreciated. im not looking for window shattering sound, i just need something clean and crisp. the stock speakers sound like they are under water.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
If you truly want clean... I dont think a Boss head unit will do it for you. Let alone a quality full range of sound. Terrible D/A converter, probably just as terrible a pre-amp, etc.

BTW... I competed in '98 and placed in the top 10 (6th and 7th for SQL and SQL+) at World Finals. Was also an install Judge in '99.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by mnapuran
If you truly want clean... I dont think a Boss head unit will do it for you. Let alone a quality full range of sound. Terrible D/A converter, probably just as terrible a pre-amp, etc.

BTW... I competed in '98 and placed in the top 10 (6th and 7th for SQL and SQL+) at World Finals. Was also an install Judge in '99.
yea if figured i couldnt get amazing sound from it. 99% of the time with any auto accessory you get what you pay for. i know i can sell it for close to if not the full price i paid for it. ive also got 2 new sets of jbl speakers that were going in the accord before it ate a corolla. i will more than likely sell it all to buy some quality equipment. it shouldnt be hard seeing as how i have a decent paying job now. what dual din screen would you recommend? ive had my heart set on a dual din screen ever since well.. as long as i can remember.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Thoughts on the Infinity Kappa 60.7cs? I'm trying to avoid running an amp, so their 95db sensitivity looks attractive.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I was going to put a system into my fit... here is what i was looking at.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P790BT (bluetooth)
Alpine PDX-2.150 2 channel amp
Alpine SPR-17S components

and then later i might add a 10inch alpine type R or JL W3 or something.... mainly looking for sound quality for now... hence why i am doing the unit and speakers before the sub.

Does it make sense to just do components up front and leave the rear doors empty?

Also is this a good setup for sound quality? I was told the pioneer decks were pretty good.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Im running an eclipse avn-5510 head unit. I have no idea what im gonna run for door speakers but i do know that im going to run 2 12's sometime. Free air is what i really want because of the space constraint as long as they sound good. I have never ran nor have i ever seen anyone running free airs so i have no idea what kind of sound im gonna get from them and dont want to find out the hard way if you know what i mean. I dont want to give away the location for now cause its kinda a secret till i can figure it out. If i cant figure it out then im gonna give the idea to anybody that thinks they can pull it off. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 PM
whats a good way to get more bass without subs? i've been looking at some components, but have no experience with them.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airborne200208
whats a good way to get more bass without subs? i've been looking at some components, but have no experience with them.
Dynomat (RAAMmat or eDead or whatever) the crap out of the doors. Get them sealed up real tight. Add some closed-cell foam in top of the mat.

You'll double your bass with no other system changes. Mine's proof.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I am far from a boss fan. You get what you pay for on stereo equipment, sure some values can be found, but if it's not made by the top manufactuers ( eclipse, pioneer, kenwood, etc ) its pretty much going to be cookie cutter chinese crap.

Originally Posted by airborne200208
The best thing to do as said is proper deadening, I am partial to Second Skin Deadener, because it is the best stuff ive used personally. It is butyl based and works great. After the deadener if your not satisfied with the bass you can change the components out for better stuff, I personally will be installing some PG RSD's soon as they arrive. They are only ~100 bucks shipped bnib and should work well. I'm in the process of gathering materials look for a full build in the future.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Young Fledge
I was going to put a system into my fit... here is what i was looking at.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P790BT (bluetooth)
Alpine PDX-2.150 2 channel amp
Alpine SPR-17S components

and then later i might add a 10inch alpine type R or JL W3 or something.... mainly looking for sound quality for now... hence why i am doing the unit and speakers before the sub.

Does it make sense to just do components up front and leave the rear doors empty?

Also is this a good setup for sound quality? I was told the pioneer decks were pretty good.

The Type r is probably the worst sounding driver ive ever played with. It has such a peak in the low end its horrendous. The stereo integrity mag will be a good driver also the ssa icon will both work as quite nice sq drivers.

Stereo Integrity
--SoundSolutionsAudio.com Online Store--

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Question

I have two 12' Audiobauns in the back with a Kempwood amp i think its 920 watts.... the bass was way too loud at first because i have the stock highs in the front. This was until i adjusted the controls of the amp and now it sounds pretty good, but one of my stock speakers on the back passengers side doesnt seem to be working too well... I think the idiots that installed it for me accidently cut one of the stock wires for the highs. I'm probably going to get it fixed or just completely upgrade soon.

And it also is starting to sound rumbly because of the box i have. I have one of those with the glass in the middle displaying the Audiobauns... Never get these kind of boxes if youre buying speakers btw!Clean but not exactly practical because after a month or so the screws i guess have started coming loose causing the bass to have a rattling sound.

My question: I really like the whole stock look when it comes to a lot of things and i want to keep my stock CD player and dash and everything (maybe ill add a screen later) but i really dont want to get an aftermarket cd player. i have 2 polk audios that i'm thinking of putting in the front doors (theyre the small completely circle kind i dont know what size exactly) but someone told me i cant do that while keeping the stock CD player. They told me that i would need something i think it was called a converter but i dont really remember.

What exactly would i need if i wanted to have more highs in the front while being able to keep the stock cd unit?

Last edited by Marsha61Fit; 02-20-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
You can get by using the stock hu with aftermarket speakers providing they aren't to low of an impedence for the stock amp to work. In other words I'm 99% sure they will work.

Also that bandpass box your using (the one with the glass in it ) is one of the worst rip offs ever. When you look to purchase some real subwoofers (sorry for being brutally honest, but god once you go with an actual setup you will be BLOWN away) shoot me a pm a budget and im sure I can find something for ya

Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay i just remembered the thing he told me i needed. Its called a regulator but he said that he doesnt think that they even make them for the Fit anymore.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I would find somebody else to get my information from. Regulator has absolutely nothing to do with running speakers off stock HU

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by lilmaniac2
You can get by using the stock hu with aftermarket speakers providing they aren't to low of an impedence for the stock amp to work. In other words I'm 99% sure they will work.

Also that bandpass box your using (the one with the glass in it ) is one of the worst rip offs ever. When you look to purchase some real subwoofers (sorry for being brutally honest, but god once you go with an actual setup you will be BLOWN away) shoot me a pm a budget and im sure I can find something for ya
Oh yeah i got the whole box WITH the speakers for $80. Huge steal because the speakers themselves are in perfect condition and audiobaun isnt a bad brand... someone actually told me that they stopped making speakers. ((shrug))

Thanks for the advice though, i think what im going to do is take them out of that box and put them in another one, what do you think, if im going to buy new woofers and everything and i have a budget of under $300 what do you reccommend

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Marsha61Fit
Oh yeah i got the whole box WITH the speakers for $80. Huge steal because the speakers themselves are in perfect condition and audiobaun isnt a bad brand... someone actually told me that they stopped making speakers. ((shrug))

Thanks for the advice though, i think what im going to do is take them out of that box and put them in another one, what do you think, if im going to buy new woofers and everything and i have a budget of under $300 what do you reccommend
Audiobahn is cookie cutter Chinese garbage. That is why they are going out of business. Audiobahn is one of the better china brands, but still not quality at all.

New woofers + amp + box is going to be hard to find under 300, especially if you have to purchase the box and can't build it yourself. Let me see what I can find as a package deal for ya.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Could you tell me what the heck is the exact maximum mounting depth on the fit front door is? I don't have time to make any door pods nor do I want to cut out my door panel trim. Much appreciated for your help. THanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by lilmaniac2
Audiobahn is cookie cutter Chinese garbage. That is why they are going out of business. Audiobahn is one of the better china brands, but still not quality at all.

New woofers + amp + box is going to be hard to find under 300, especially if you have to purchase the box and can't build it yourself. Let me see what I can find as a package deal for ya.
Yeah theyre not that great but reguardless, 80 bucks for speakers and a box that are both mint (seeing as how shitty ones arent even that cheap) is a steal to me.

Including the box $300 is reasonable in my opinion. I already have an amp... I dont know how much you pay for a box, but they dont run up that much haha. Also remember, im not looking to enter contests and shit like that, i just want to enjoy my music. In fact, forget about the package deal thing unless its truly a deal. My boyfriends friend works at an installation place so it gives me access to [almost] wholesale prices...

I think it would help everyone here if you [want to], make a list according to not only price range, but quality as well. Starting with mediocre speakers (amps ect), then a step up from that, and finally some of the best kind in your opinion (which of course will be the most expensive).

Just a suggestion...

Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by bypass911
Could you tell me what the heck is the exact maximum mounting depth on the fit front door is? I don't have time to make any door pods nor do I want to cut out my door panel trim. Much appreciated for your help. THanks.
im in the same boat as you, haven't pop'd the door off yet plus its too cold to fool with

Quick Reply: Get your stereo advice here!!