Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Install Center Rear LAP belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by gar1013
I'm surprised Honda doesn't have a solution that they could offer up.

That being said, you can use either side seat safely as well: LATCH FAQ
Copy of NHTSA LATCH FAQ

I'm surprised there isn't a LATCH hidden somewhere under the center-rear headrest.
I'm talking to the parts guy at our local Honda dealer to see about it. I'm wondering if they would have had to put in more bracing or didn't want to guarantee performance if there were two adults in the back and a child seat in the center or something. But you're right, it should be easy enough to add LATCH anchors to the current seatbelt anchors - which would be bullet proof. Thinking long term though, I still like the lapbelt idea best b/c I understand that the LATCH system is typically rated only for a child up to 40lbs+/-, and I'd like to have the option to keep the kid in the middle if possible for as long as possible.

BTW, for seats that require a LATCH/tether, there is a mount in the center ceiling back near the tailgate, but that's for a different kind of forward facing seat.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by frankgindc
I'd like to have the option to keep the kid in the middle if possible for as long as possible.
Here's one thought: the middle is the "safest" assuming that you have an equal chance of being broadsided for each side.

If however, there's a 90% chance of being hit on the right hand side, then the left side of the car would be the optimal place, and much better than the middle! If you can find some impact location statistics, you would at least know the best side until such time as you get a center location solution fully implemented... or if the numbers are dramatically favoring one side over the other, then you may just want to stick with a side mounting.

I know these types of statistics have been published for motorcyclists in terms of head impact area (which is why I always argue that fully face helmets are a no-brainer -- 34% chance of impacting the chin/lower jaw area).

Ultimately, not having a child in the car is the safest thing, albeit it not practical at all whatsoever (especially if driving helps put them to sleep). That being said, if you can get some good statistics, you can do a little math and at least feel better in the short term.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
so does the FiT seat 5 people or 4 people with 2 in back or 3 in back seats?
i was wondering this other day after lookin at the seat belts
is there not a seat belt for the middle seat in rear??

Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by 07fitsport
so does the FiT seat 5 people or 4 people with 2 in back or 3 in back seats?
i was wondering this other day after lookin at the seat belts
is there not a seat belt for the middle seat in rear??
The belt is in the ceiling for the center rear passenger.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
How do you plan on reaching the child in the rear-facing seat if it's mounted in the middle? That's the benefit of placing the seat on the passenger side, so your line of sight and access to the kid is not blocked by the high seat back.

My sister and two of my best friends all mount their seats on the passenger side, and they have no safety concerns. In an impact where the cabin is compromised to the point of damaging a kid in a car seat, there's a good chance that the kid will be injured regardless of its position in the car.

My two cents. Not that you asked.