Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

rear inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
rear inputs?

I'm trying to decide what head unit to get for my Fit and I see that some have rear inputs for aux and USB.

How does that work as far as connecting stuff? Are there cables that come out to the front of the dash or what? If that's the case, does that cause more cable tangle in front?

I want both USB and aux inputs and some of the units I'm interested in only have them on the back, but I don't want to rule them out if having them on the back isn't a hassle.

thanks for any feedback,

ed

Old 01-18-2008, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
So what are you looking for? USB ? AUX input? Both? Ipod? uhh... I think most if not all new headunits have some sort of AUX input. Some have USB on the face plate and others have Ipod coming from the rear or USB in front with ipod capability through the usb.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
So what are you looking for? USB ? AUX input? Both? Ipod? uhh... I think most if not all new headunits have some sort of AUX input. Some have USB on the face plate and others have Ipod coming from the rear or USB in front with ipod capability through the usb.
As I mentioned, I want both USB and AUX. My question is about how rear inputs differ from front inputs in regards to how things connect and how easily they connect.

thanks,

ed

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't that kind of given or obvious?

Rear inputs the wires would have to come from the back and to whereever you route the wire to plug into your mp3 player's headphone jack. Unless its an Ipod connection then it'll plug into your ipod. I would have mine probably come from under the dash and have it laying next to the shifter.

Front connection just a 3.5mm female jack, you'd need a male to male 3.5mm wire connection...

USB connection plugs into the faceplate.

I know eclipse has a usb connection on their avn2210p. I think you'll get a better idea if you go and look at it at a store. I think the USB connection is the easiest personally, but I have an ipod so plugging in that sucker is my only real choice.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Former Vendor
USB options are nice

Old 01-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Isn't that kind of given or obvious?

Rear inputs the wires would have to come from the back and to whereever you route the wire to plug into your mp3 player's headphone jack. Unless its an Ipod connection then it'll plug into your ipod. I would have mine probably come from under the dash and have it laying next to the shifter.

Front connection just a 3.5mm female jack, you'd need a male to male 3.5mm wire connection...

USB connection plugs into the faceplate.

I know eclipse has a usb connection on their avn2210p. I think you'll get a better idea if you go and look at it at a store. I think the USB connection is the easiest personally, but I have an ipod so plugging in that sucker is my only real choice.
No, it's not really that obvious. Some head units have the USB on the rear, not on the front panel.

I've never had or seen how a HU with rear inputs works, so pardon me if my question seems basic.

There is a Kenwood double DIN unit that has both USB and AUX on the front panel. I may get that one for the convenience of having both in front.

ed

Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Can you post what model you're looking at?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezduzit
No, it's not really that obvious. Some head units have the USB on the rear, not on the front panel.

ed
USB on the back? now that's weird. How would you ever use a jump drive and plug it into the back... I guess I could see that option given. Sorry if I sounded rude, but alot of sites have pictures of HU's and if you go to the like crutchfield for example you can see the back sides of them. They get pretty detailed and high resolution pics. I figured it was a given when there are so many resources out there to click on. Sonicelectronix also have alot of pictures too.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Goutetsu
Can you post what model you're looking at?
Kenwood DPX502

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 AM
USB on the back? now that's weird. How would you ever use a jump drive and plug it into the back... I guess I could see that option given. Sorry if I sounded rude, but alot of sites have pictures of HU's and if you go to the like crutchfield for example you can see the back sides of them. They get pretty detailed and high resolution pics. I figured it was a given when there are so many resources out there to click on. Sonicelectronix also have alot of pictures too.
I suppose with USB on the back you would also use a USB extension cable like you do with some card readers and computers. They are readily available.

I think I want to avoid having cables snaking out to the front if possible.

The audio shop I like to do business with locally carries Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer, but the only unit I can find that has both front panel AUX and USB inputs is the Kenwood DPX502.

ed