Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Short Shifter: H-Fit or Mugen? Help! Can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Short Shifter: H-Fit or Mugen? Help! Can't decide

What is the pros and cons for each one? I have read through a few thread about both but still can't decide. I am not looking for something dead-on precise or demanding race tracking performance accuracy like. I am looking for something better than the already pretty good stock.

I am going to stay with OEM boot but change to JDM console/armrest and Spoon shift knob later (if it matters). Please help me to decide. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hey

hey so the hfit one ive heard has uses metal not plastic making the shifting feel more firm and its more durrable but as far as i know the mugen one actually drops the height wich i think is pretty cool about an inch.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Red face i appologize for thread jacking just a lil bit...

ok, so... i have the skunk2 ss adapter kit sitting in my trunk that i have posted up for sale here, because i decided i would rather wait and save up for the mugen ss just for the name and reliability of their r&d. BUT, i'm thinking i will keep my skunk2 kit anyways now because of the fact that it sits higher. at first i didn't like the idea only because i don't like how the shaft sticks out the top of the stock boot with the light weight aluminum honda knob i put on, and the mugen ss sits lower so it would take care of that ocd issue of mine... but i'm trying to go with a more practical application theme for my Fit. and i got to thinkin (which is always dangerous), on the civic hb si, the freakin shifter is in the freakin dash, which, when it first came out, i thought would be funky, but then i drove it and it is better, cuz it sits right next to the wheel so your hand doesn't have to travel as far to engage it. and so now that's my current line of thinking that makes me want to install the skunk2 ss.

to stay on topic, my question is... people with the H-FIT SS seem to rave over the more solid feel of it because of the hard mounts that are included with it. since the hard mount is also sold seperately... would it be a good idea to run it with the skunk2 brass spacers? or will there be some sorta quality control issues idk about?

and to add for martymcfly, you just need to really consider your driving style... what's gonna be more comfortable for you when weighing these differences with ss's. i believe the h-fit kit keeps your shifter at stock height. but hey, maybe a shorter shaft fits you better as with the mugen? idk if there is a solid answer as to what would be more beneficial overall regarding height of the shaft since they all seem to shorten throw by 20% at the least... so there's my $0.02.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I love my Mugen SS. It feels exactly like stock shift wise but the throw is definately shorter. I dont want a clunky or stiff feel when shifting. Not sure about the Hfit. But I know Mugen always makes quality parts and their parts are always perfect IMO. I don't know about Hfit. Skunk2's short shifter I dislike their design and how it works.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
S0X: thanks for the info. for both.

Fit_Fink: Thanks for pointing out the height factor consideration. That totally went over my mind. I am trying to avoid a leaning right shoulder. Maybe the JDM armrest will make the drop more comfortable.

Hocker: Since you are Mugen Dealer...I am sure....j/k! Yeah, but almost 2 bills for a SS is a bit pricey. Well, if I intend to owe the car for at least several years, it is worth it.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Retired Moderator
I have the Mugen SS as well, it is an excellent SS to have! Like Hocker said, retains the smooth shifting of the stock one while shortening the strokes. IMO, it is well worth the extra price.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
A lot of the mugen stuff is more pricey but again the quality is just amazing. I never actually believed how much better it was until I actually started using their products. Don't forget with the new Civic having the "mugen" option a couple years from now probly more Mugen things will come out from US Honda, which those parts on your car may have higher resale value on them vs taking out a "brand A" part out just to trade in your ride. Mugen parts also resell pretty high as well if you plan to part out.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i decided to go with the MUGEN.. I just have a better peice of mind that nothing will come apart while im driving.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
i decided to go with the MUGEN.. I just have a better peice of mind that nothing will come apart while im driving.
Same here -- I'm picking up a SS in the next week or so and the Mugen was the only one I considered for the same reason. Having a bolt-on nub design like the S2 or H-fit just seems kinda half-a$$ed.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
anyone have the DIY with picts for the ss install?

tried searching but could not find. im looking at possibly getting the H-Fit one.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
so you guys just pull the car apart and guess where all the pieces go?

wtf, come on, share the knowledge. tia

Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
My DIY for the Mugen is in the DIY section.