Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Installing a 2DIN AVN unit in your Jazz/Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Installing a 2DIN AVN unit in your Jazz/Fit

I'll try to make a DIY list here after I had installed a 2DIN AVN unit into my Honda Jazz 2007 (GD1).
(AVN = Audio Video Navigation)

Selecting the AVN unit
I had set up a list of function it must have. This may differ from your needs.
  • GPS
  • CD player
  • Must play MP3 from CD/CD-R/CD-RW
  • Bluetooth handsfree system for my cellphone
  • Large screen for the GPS system, 6-7inch would be fine.
Most units that have large screens and are built-in to the dashboard also playback DVD-movies, that was just an bonus.

I finaly desided for the Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in the US).

AVIC-HD3BT has a lot of features: DVD/CD-player, GPS, Bluetooth and Harddrive. The HD enable it to both use the CD player to play back music at the same time as using the GPS system to navigate from the HD.

Face plate
At the same time as I had desided to change my soundsystem I realized that I have to find a new faceplate for my car since the factory system is integrated in the dashboard.
I first searched the internet and here at FitFreak.net I found two options:
either the Scosche faceplate or the Matra. Both of them didnt look the best, and there was a lot of waiting and so on. I could not get in touch with the maker of thos sets either. So I just went back to my local Honda dealer and asked if they could get me any. And after a bit searching they found the faceplate, and they also found the GPS unit that I had asked for when ordering the car. But it was a bit too expencive, more than the AVIC-HD3BTand with less features...
I ordered the faceplate "Kit, Audio Face Panel" 08B00-SAA-611B
and the "Pocket Radio" 08B60-SAA-600
(be aware this is a left hand drive car with automatic AC)

The installation
The faceplate arrived after just a few days. With the faceplate there was a realy nice installation manual that can be downloaded from here:
http://www.4shared.com/document/czb3...e_Panel_I.html
(the URL may change in the future)
This manual show you in step how to remove and reinstall diffrent units in the faceplate. It describes both manual AC and automatic AC dashboards.

I then got the courage and jumped into action as soon as the new AVN unit Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT arrived.

I actually followed the installation manual that came with the faceplate for how to remove the old audio system. It pretty much will tell you every step you need to be able to remove the old system. The clips held it pretty hard on my car so I had to work a bit here, but got it out after some pulling and pushing...

Then, I realized that the wires on the new system and the old system was not compatible. Went to my local car-radio shop and they had a wire harness with the correct plugs in each end so I could plug the AVN into that harness and the plug in the car into the other end. Easy! (I'll get the partnumber later)
The easy part was now finished.

Installing: GPS Antenna
Next step was to find out where to put the GPS antenna.
I found a online manual describing the removal of the facory mounted GPS antenna. And there I could see where the factory mounted antenna was positioned. I chose to use the same spot.

That lead to the removal of the gauges. I just followed the steps in that online manual and it worked nice. A tip is to have a magnetic screwdriver so you don't loose the screews inside the dashboard. I have a telescopic magnet ment for just this type of operations.

I just put the GPS antenna a little more into the front of this point and secured it on top of the ventilations tube that went across at that point.

Installing: Vehicle Speed pulse (VSS)
The new AVN system needed the VSS to be connected. I found a documentation online that told me it should be on C-connector pin 10 on the speedometer gauge panel that I just had removed to get to the mounting of the GPS antenna. But could not find any Blue/Yellow lead here or on the connector to the old audio system.
It seems that my car is diffrent from those drawings. So this point I have to come back to...

Installing: Hand brake signal
Then I needed to find the signal from the handbrake. This is to legaly be able to view DVD-movies only when the handbrake is applied. There are also other function that does not work before you have applied the handbrakes.
You can just ground this lead, but that is not legal.

I removed the center console by following the steps from (again) an online manual. Just remember the senter on the little clips in front should be pushed in to release them. Push gently.

Installing: Bluetooth unit
When the handbrake signal was found and attached I also used the opportunity to put the Bluetooth unit (ND-BT1) in between the cupholders and the front storage bin, underneath the center console. And routed the cable up to the left and behind the AVN unit.

More gadgets to install...
Now I was almost finished, I thought...
I had testrun the system and it all worked fine. Then I was fiddling around with the MP3 and found out that it only could read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW disc. It was not able to read files burned on to a DVD-R or DVD+R disc. Went back to my local supplyer and they had not found a way around this either. But he said you could get a USB connection, and by that be able to use a USB-Stick or USB-harddrive and play MP3 from those. Or other USB storage devices (MP3 players with USB interface). I went for that option and I am going to play around a bit with that to see if it could handle other USB devices like a keyboard or things like that. I'll will come back with more info later...

Anyway. The CD-UB100 unit was put on top of that horizontal metal tube that goes across inside the dashboard. And I secured it there. Nice and snug fit. USB wire goes on the right side of the center console and comes out between the passenger seat and the center console. I then can use either the little storage bin beside the handbrake handle or the room behind it to store my USB-disk or USB-memorystick.

Other gadgets
You can also get a iPod adapter (CD-IB100II), XM-Satelitte radio tuners (GEX-P10XMT and GEX-P920XM), Sirus Satelite tuner (SIR-PNR2), Rear-View Camera (ND-BC2 and ND-BC20PA), Six-Disc DVD/CD Changer (XDV-P6), Remote Control (CD-SR1, CD-RV1 and CD-R5).

I have plans for the future to get an adapter so I can use the buttons I have on the steeringwheel that was for the factory audio system to control the new AVN system. I'll come back to that later...

Closing up
So now you just have to put back the new AVN system and be sure no cables is going to obstruct the fan in back of the system. And that no cables is going to be harmed when you bolt the frame to the car.

After this, the system is physical mounted.
I recomend testing it before you put it back in the last time and tightening the bolts.

And as the installation manual for the faceplate says, it is just to reverse the order of steps you did to remove the gauges and faceplate.

All of this was done in about 3 evenings. Not sure how many hours. But if you prepear yourself good, you could easy do it in a few hours. You need good lights and a screewdriver (PH2). A plier and a magnet is also nice tools.
You need the pliers for the electrical connections.

This is how it looks like in my car:
http://gallery.irctos.org/d/31426-2/2007-11-24_0018.JPG
(just missing the little frame around the edges of the unit).

Setting up the unit
Last step is setting up the unit. I will not go through all that in this post. Just ask if there is something you are not sure about, I may be able to answer. A tip is that the built in sensors in the AVIC-HD3BT unit need to be reset and it take a few hours and some driving around before they are fully calibrated. Then you should see that you get more options avaiable.

Feedback to this post will be higly appreciated.

Last edited by F0NIX; 04-26-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 AM
nice write up. i have an eclipse avn-5510. i had it installed so i would keep the warranty seeing i bought it from circuit city (a big chain electronic store here in the states). i have heard that pioneer has a better nav setup but i wanted the better sound quality so i went with the eclipse instead.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Talking

hello. very interesting read.you seem to have done the reserch. i wanted to do the same but that panel is not available here in greece. i was wondering if you came across it on any other site/store other than the dealer that i could get it. the dealer here has a description but not the part number so its not available.any help wouuld be great. i can find the fpanel with the a/c (3 dials) but not the auto a/c like yours.

thanks