Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Fit iPod Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Fit iPod Hookup

I felt that for the widespread benefit, it was time to jumpstart this subject again... here it goes...

O.K... here it is..
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier to offer up the way. I wasn't here yet.

A very good, cool, high quality way to hook up your ipod to your Fit (Sport) is to use the Monster iCharger !

See my avatar for a dark pic of the system in action. I'll post some pics later of the actual install setup. Just in case you can't make out what you see, that is a bottle of water lit up blue by LED illuminated cupholders, with the Monster iCharger glowing green in the upper left, with the ipod in the top middle area sitting in the pocket ahead of the cupholders.

The Monster iCharger hooks up to the dock at the bottom of the ipod, which gives a far superior sound output. What is also superb about this setup is that you do not have to adjust the volume on the ipod at all. The iCharger sets a constant volume output level which is unaffected by any ipod volume control changes on the ipod itself. This setup also virtually eliminates any potential noise to come out of the ipod audio.

The actual audio cable, (1/8" mini headphone male/male) which you do still need, hooks up to an input on the dock connector end of the charger cable, then you plug the other end of the audio cable into the aux audio input jack next to the charger socket. You can feed the audio cable through the charger cable, which is coiled, which makes for a "one cable" appearance to the total setup.

It's selling on amazon.com right now for cheap. Just click on the link in my signature below for Monster iPod Charger. Be sure to scroll down the list of items for sale, to notice all price offerings there.

My background is audio, sound, recording, synthesizing, and I would highly recommend this Monster ipod accessory to add to your system. It is clean.

An added bonus is that the charger Monster symbol is LED lit, displaying a different color depending on the status. So now you can have another cool light in the center console of your Fit.

The only possible obstacle to using this right off, is if you have your ipod in a case that has alot of meat around the actual dock input of the ipod. With my case, I just carved away the excess to allow clearance of the dock connection, using an exacto knife. I've used my charger for a few years now, transferred it from my previous car to the Fit now.

You can make a nice clean installation, so that all you see is a cool LED lit charger sitting in the jack, and a short length of cable coming out with the dock connection cable to hook to your ipod. In my Fit, I've set it up with just the right amount of length to hook up to the ipod and sit it in the pocket in front of the cupholders, and tucked the rest of the cable away just above the center console. You can leave it hooked up all the time, since when the ignition is turned off, the power to that area is turned off.

I also set up an additional 12V input socket at the rear end of the center console to connect my cell phone charger, to be able to run both at the same time.

I hope this makes many happy ipod users. If you have something different than an ipod, sorry to leave you out here. Peace ! e.b.

Last edited by ebcspace; 01-09-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
How do you change songs? Do you use the ipod controls as normal, except only volume is unaffected by any manual change?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM
iPod hookup operation the iPod

Yes, good question.

The iPod front panel controls all function normally, with all access to menus, playlists, all as normal.

Just the volume control will not affect the level coming out of the iPod, which is set at a fixed volume by the Monster iCharger.

I usually set up playlists on the iPod, or just set it on "Shuffle Songs", and usually if needed just reach down and press the >> forward button to move ahead a song.

e.b.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
hey i just got a ipod classic (80 gb woot woot) from my girlfreind for xmas and i was wondering is getting the ipod hookup from the honda dealership good or bad

i wanted to know if it's worth it and is it fully controllable with the stock audio system, or should i get one from like bestbuy or someplace, and plus i just plug my ipod to the AUX and i have a car charger for it too

i found out that its about $199 MSRP and i'm assuming thats including installation, and since i work at a honda dealership i get it for cost + 10%

and if anyone does have the ipod hookup from honda, give me some feedback

Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 AM
well.... the factory deck is an alpine deck. i wonder what model it closely resemble to in the alpine line of stereo. i have the 9856 with the ipod hooked up on my crx. i wonder if the factory deck can be just plugged in to an alpine ipod extension??? hmm...

Old 12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Fit iPod Honda MusicLink

It takes some searching to find, but here is some information you may want to be aware of...

Originally Posted by Ultimatecarman45
I have the musiclink, the connection to the car and sound quality is perfect. But the menu use selecting certain genre, playlists, song by title, etc. sucks. I usually only use the shuffle mode which works perfect so it doesn't really affect me but if being able to choose the exact artist or song is important to you do not get it, just use a regular aux input.
Especially if the iPod is new to you, you may want to get to know it first, and learn how to set up playlists, so you can just set it down and let it play music for you, or set it on shuffle. The last thing you want to do is try to navigate around on the iPod while driving your Fit, and crash into something while you're playing with it.

My brother has a Monsoon Audio system for his VW, with a Phatnoise Phatbox player, which integrates just like the musiclink... Phatbox is trunk-mounted with a removable hard-drive cartridge, and it is accessed via voice-prompt menus from the stereo controls. Very cool to see for the first time, but if you actually want to navigate around to find something specific, it's quite the pain in the a$$.

I'd consider a system such as a Monster iCharger, which allows you to charge the iPod, hook the audio up through the dock connection (far superior sound to the headphone out), and put the iPod where you can reach it, rather than someplace silly like the glovebox.

See link on this forum for Monster iCharger... oh, scratch that, you're on it.
Ironically, it's at the top of this forum thread that you just posted to. How convenient ! !

By the way, on the news today, the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood is closing down, Everything is 50% off, per the window sign shown on the news coverage. They are one of the few places that stocks the iCharger.

https://www.virginmega.com/VMS/scree.../hollywood.jsp

Peace

e.b.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
iPod Monster iCharger

here's a link for it, if you want to get a good deal on it from amazon.com

normally, it sells for $39.99 ! !

Monster iCharger

e.b.

Last edited by ebcspace; 01-03-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by gts1985
well.... the factory deck is an alpine deck. i wonder what model it closely resemble to in the alpine line of stereo. i have the 9856 with the ipod hooked up on my crx. i wonder if the factory deck can be just plugged in to an alpine ipod extension??? hmm...
no it will not

Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Monster iCharger iPod Charger

Bump. .

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
This is what I use. Its a little cumbersome at first but is much easier to change songs on a stationary object then an ipod that could be moving around in a cup holder. Here are the reasons I love it:

-Charges ipod all the time
-audio jack is by audio controls so you only have one wire leading from ipod to charger
-still have full control of the ipod while playing or changing a song via audio controls
-audio controls are slightly lit so easy to find in the dark

Amazon.com: Griffin 9559-AUTOPLTB AutoPilot to Control,Charge and Play Your iPod Through Your Car Stereo's AUX Port: Electronics

picture of ipod connection wire is not to scale. I have had people in the back seat searching for songs.