Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

AVIC-D3 GPS Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 PM
AVIC-D3 GPS Antenna

Where did you guys mount your GPS antenna, that's the only thing I'm unsure with installing the avic-d3.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have just installed the Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in the US) and I think the GPS antenna installation is the same for the D3 unit.
From the Honda manual that came with the Honda face plate for dual din installation there was a few steps where they mentioned where the orginal GPS antenna for the OEM NAV-kit should be installed. That one come on a bracket that was mounted with one bolt to a small edge inside the dashboard.
So I just put the GPS antenna in the close proximity of that spot.
It is just in front of the gauges and to the right. There was a ventilation tube going there and I put it on top of that. With that position it is placed almost in the middle of the dashboard and pretty far forward and just beneath the dashboard top. I have excellent reception there.
Had to take out the gauges to get to that spot. But that was necessary anyway because I needed to get the Bluetooth wires/module and speed wire (VSS) over in that directions too...

Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
I have just installed the Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in the US) and I think the GPS antenna installation is the same for the D3 unit.
From the Honda manual that came with the Honda face plate for dual din installation there was a few steps where they mentioned where the orginal GPS antenna for the OEM NAV-kit should be installed. That one come on a bracket that was mounted with one bolt to a small edge inside the dashboard.
So I just put the GPS antenna in the close proximity of that spot.
It is just in front of the gauges and to the right. There was a ventilation tube going there and I put it on top of that. With that position it is placed almost in the middle of the dashboard and pretty far forward and just beneath the dashboard top. I have excellent reception there.
Had to take out the gauges to get to that spot. But that was necessary anyway because I needed to get the Bluetooth wires/module and speed wire (VSS) over in that directions too...
do you have pictures of your stereo? I'd like to know if there is a oem panel that us in the US can use...thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Alright, finished install up today. It was surprisingly easy, just time consuming. I highly recommend Avic411.com for anyone with questions regarding install. They have a nice photo spread of how to wire up the D3 to bypass the no video while in motion and no entering of GPS coords.

I ended up mounting my antenna at the small window on the passenger side and routing the cable under the dash over to it. I do think I am going to move it to a position underneath the dash like the above poster said to.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. By the way, I was told by a professional installer here that the reverse wire was not needed for the GPS to function so I didn't hook that one up. I did hook up the VSS wrie and the bypass still works on a unit manufactured Oct. 2007.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I just installed a D3 in my FIT a few days ago. It was relatively easy, but having to dick around with the HVAC was brutal. I also managed to lose all the mounting clips except for 3-4 of 'em. Damn bastids!

I ended up mounting the GPS antenna just above the driver's side vent near the window. Looks nice and clean there and has plenty of view to the sky (counted over 7 satellites connected).

I have a D3 in the Prelude aswell. I just love these units!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
do you have pictures of your stereo? I'd like to know if there is a oem panel that us in the US can use...thanks
Pictures of my installation can be found here:
Navi unit (sorry for the missing thumbnails, will be corrected soon)
Same pictures (with thumbnails) could be found here until the first site is fixed: Flickr: Photos from F0NIX

I don't think you have that automatic A/C system (with digital display) that I have on my car, so the same panel could not be used. But I know that the 2005 (and older) Jazz have that manual A/C system with the three knobs that you have in US and there is a facepanel avaiable for those cars too.

And on this page you'll see where the OEM GSM antenna is mounted.

Last edited by F0NIX; 01-07-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added link to GPS antenna installation/removing
Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Nice Setup Fonix!