Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GPS mounting and wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Ritzbury
GPS mounting and wiring questions

I was wondering if any of you have placed the mount for a GPS inside the little shelf above the glovebox? i got mine last night, and placed it on the little front window on the drivers side. a very nice place to put it, but the damned wire to power it comes across, i hate that!
i also want to see if there was a specific wire to use to extend the power wire if i splice it at the AUX power... or the fuse to use to connect it there (so an extension would not be needed).

bump for answers porfavor

Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ritzbury
I was wondering if any of you have placed the mount for a GPS inside the little shelf above the glovebox? i got mine last night, and placed it on the little front window on the drivers side. a very nice place to put it, but the damned wire to power it comes across, i hate that!
i also want to see if there was a specific wire to use to extend the power wire if i splice it at the AUX power... or the fuse to use to connect it there (so an extension would not be needed).

bump for answers porfavor
I agree with your objection to having the power wire draped over your steering wheel or over your knees if you mount the GPS anywhere to the left of the wheel. I used the ProClip tilt/swivel mount on the driver's door pillar. If you use the shelf over the glove box, your eyes will be off the road a lot, unless you just intend to listen to it but never look at the screen.

To get the wires out of the way, I used industrial strength Velcro. I stuck the soft, loop strips at various places- on the vertical left side of the dash, at the bottom horizontal edge of the area under the steering wheel tilt opening in the dash, and to the vertical dash surface between the stereo head unit and the power outlet in the console.

Then I refolded the power wire so that the excess was gathered directly ender the steering wheel, and wrapped the power wire with the stiff hook Velcro material at the appropriate areas to match the strips on the dash surfaces. Using 2" wide Velcro, I positioned the Velcro parallel to the wire, wrapped it around the wire, and then cinched the Velcro'ed areas at opposite ends with small, black zip ties.

Now the power wire is exactly the right length, sticks to various positions on and under the dash, and when not needed, can be refolded and stored in door pockets or the glove box. To be able to use the GPS along with a radar detector or cell phone charger at the same time, I use a 3-outlet adaptor in the console socket.

At your parts store or on-line, you can find 12 volt "extension cords" for things like emergency air compressors.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Ritzbury
cool cool, i might attempt tto run the wire down below the steering column. i would like to have it mounted to my right (really wish i was left handed right now), but where it is is fine. i'll hide the wires for now, and if we get some bump on this, i'll know which fuse to go to, so i wont have to worry about it.
thanks for the tip, i'll remember that when i get this project taken care of

Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Collegehillshonda.com has the kit specifically for the Fit, but I think it requires drilling for the mount and to hide the wires....not so sure I want to do all that.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
I'm about to install my new Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in US).
It is a entertainment system with audio amplifier, cd-player, built in GPS system, and it can play DVD movies, and work as a handsfree for your cellphone through Bluetooth.

I have the new facepanel installed and the HD3BT unit mounted in the new facepanel. Have also moved the Electronic AC controls over to the new facepanel.
Whats left is to connect the HD3BT unit to the orginal audio harness.
I have ordered a "converter" harness from the orginal audio harness plugs over to the new Pioneer plugs. But there is still a few things I cant find out:

Where to mount the GPS antenna?
Can I put it inside the dashboard? Like just in front of the audio unit under the dashboard plastic? On the right side is the airbag and I dont want to fiddle with that.
I found a drawing here, but don't understand where that is:
GPS Antenna Removal/Installation
Is that on top and in front of gauge panel? Could I reach that spot from the center console where the AVN unit is instaled?

Where to mount the microphone for the handsfree
I also got to find a space to put the microphone. Thinking of the left side A column, but I dont know if there is going to be much trouble getting the harnes for the microphone over there...

Where to mount/put the Bluetooth unit?
Any recomended space to put it? Behind the HD3BT unit? There is not much space there. Would the postion of this Bluetooth unit make a diffrence on the connectivity between my cellphone (Nokia N95) and the HD3BT system? Good/bad receptions?

Where to find the VSS Speed signal?
I've seen other threads here on this forum about this, but I can't find it.
Some mentioned there is a purple/white lead in the audio harness, but there is no such colored lead on my system.
Does anyone know where I can get the signal from?
Some mentioned from the ECU?`Where can I locate it and which lead to I tap into?

I have found this online manual http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm. From this it seems I have to open the gauges and locate connector C and use the C10 signal that has a blue/yellow lead? And from that circuit diagram it also seems that I should find that lead somewhere near where the navunit should be mounted? Still can't find it... Have not removed the gauges yet, hope I dont have to.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
One probem with mounting above the glove box is that if the air bag deploys, the GPS may become a projectile.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Ritzbury
Originally Posted by spreadhead
One probem with mounting above the glove box is that if the air bag deploys, the GPS may become a projectile.

duh! i'll leave it where it is. it looks like the GPS would cause a dent on my head if it were thrusted in my general direction.