Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

blown speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
blown speaker?

ok, so this is going to sound like a ridiculously noob thing to ask, but i'm going to ask anyways:

if my speaker in my passenger door starts making a horrible rattling sound anytime sound is playing, does that mean my speaker is blown? my stereo is all still stock.

thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Nope not necesarily. Could be it was never locked in (honda speakers aren't screwed in anhymore, they have 2 tabs on the botton and a spring lock clip at the top. Could be the top was never 100% in I've seen that once. But most likly the speakers surround is torn. If it was blown you'd get no sound. It's probably "damaged". Time for an upgrade

Old 11-23-2007, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I am having the exact same problem in the exact same door. I was ready to take it into the dealer and have it looked at and of course it stopped rattling on the way into the shop. I am convinced that i have a bad speaker....but dont want to look the fool bringing it in and having it sound good.

Keep us updated on what you do with this situation...I am curious what a dealer will say.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
im having this same problem too. im debating on upgrading the speakers. cause its getting kinda annoying now. but yea keep us updated if you found anything interesting.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
Nope not necesarily. Could be it was never locked in (honda speakers aren't screwed in anhymore, they have 2 tabs on the botton and a spring lock clip at the top. Could be the top was never 100% in I've seen that once. But most likly the speakers surround is torn. If it was blown you'd get no sound. It's probably "damaged". Time for an upgrade
i actually had no idea about that, thank you i wish i could afford an upgrade now, haha. i still want to get subs, but not till next year, oh how i love those tax refunds.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by talkbox
I am having the exact same problem in the exact same door. I was ready to take it into the dealer and have it looked at and of course it stopped rattling on the way into the shop. I am convinced that i have a bad speaker....but dont want to look the fool bringing it in and having it sound good.

Keep us updated on what you do with this situation...I am curious what a dealer will say.
what it's done for two days now is when i first start the car, it rattles extremely loud and then there's just no sound out of it once the rattling stops. of course it will most likely behave for the service guys when i go on monday.

i'll definitely keep you guys posted, i was kind of irritated that the car's not even a year old and i'm already having a problem with the speaker.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
well i just got back from the dealer.

the speaker hadn't been acting up yesterday, so the service guy tested it out instead of taking the door apart to look at it. it sounded fine, and he asked if it had been out in the cold the last couple days, which it had because i don't keep it in a garage. so that might be the reason.

he said if it acts up again to bring it back because it's still under warranty.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Cold won't affect a speaker like that. I Lve in montreal, we have 5 months of winter. It's not the cold.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
honestly, i didn't think it was the cold either. it gets quite cold here (i'm near chicago) for long stretches and i'd never had that happen with a speaker before.

i hope that if it messes up again, it does so before my warranty is up

Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
you do know that those cruddy honda speakers are only $12 each. if you pay shipping alone I'll send you 2 of mine.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 AM
this is kinda wierd cause my passenger speaker started making the blown sound this past weekend . i thought it was just something ratteling in my door pocket but it was the speaker. i only have 20% on my mm so its gotta go in soon for a check up and an oil change so i will talk to the dealer then. does everyone have sport or base models? just curious if that may have something to do with it the whole 6 speakers compared to 4.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 PM
NMG
LOL, I'm having the same issue on my Fit Sport. I noticed the speaker crackling a bit yesterday and today it's dead. This is the front passenger mid/woofer. The tweeter on that side still appears to work, as do the other speakers when tested by using the fade and balance controls.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to have a look. I'm not sure if it's just a loose connection or what. Given how I use the stereo, the speaker should most certainly not be blown.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM
i went to the dealer today and they said mine was blown so they put one on order and it will be in on monday no questions asked

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
i went to the dealer today and they said mine was blown so they put one on order and it will be in on monday no questions asked
that's good there's no issue with them fixing it. even if they are cheap to replace anyways.

also, i have a sport. i didn't think the speakers were any different between the two models, just that we get two extra.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
that's good there's no issue with them fixing it. even if they are cheap to replace anyways.

also, i have a sport. i didn't think the speakers were any different between the two models, just that we get two extra.
im not sure exactly if the speakers are the same or not. i know that we have the components but im not sure if they are 100% components or a regular speaker with a tweeter wired in to them. that is a good question though. maybe somebody else has the answer to that for us. im curious now myself

Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
NMG
Took my car in today as well and same deal. They'll be replacing the damaged speaker.

With all of these similar issues, it almost sounds like there might have been a bad run of speakers. No biggie IMHO.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
How big of a deal is it to replace those $12.00 speakers? Is it worth it? I love driving with the music popping and it seems like the sound has gotten not as rich as when I first got my car. We have a great store in the area that does speakers and stereo upgrades so I may just go see what they have that would work in the Fit. They host a tuner show every year so their guys are really into that! plus they always advertise on the Speed channel local commercials.

Cat :x

Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by NMG
Took my car in today as well and same deal. They'll be replacing the damaged speaker.

With all of these similar issues, it almost sounds like there might have been a bad run of speakers. No biggie IMHO.
i called 3 dealerships in the area before i took my car in and none of them have had any issues with the speakers which i though was kind of wierd. the one dealership even checked if there was a recall or anything like that but there was nothing. no big deal to me either though. im gonna replace the stockers sometime this winter anyway for some not so cheap ones. haha

Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 PM
NMG
You know, for a stock system, I think the stereo in the Fit (at least the Sport) is pretty good. I certainly don't crank it, however, I don't really have a "need" to upgrade and I probably won't unless the stock stuff goes kaput after the warranty expires.

Obviously you could get MUCH better sound from an aftermarket system, but it's also going to cost some dough. You'd likely want to replace all 6 speakers, add a sub or two, get an amp, new head unit, etc. I suspect any good shop would FIND a way to put a great system into the Fit if you were so inclined

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
i really didn't think the stock stereo sounded too bad myself, either

believe me, if i had the funds for a whole new stereo, i'd already have one but it's fine for now, and i just want to make sure it stays that way.

Quick Reply: blown speaker?