Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Is is OK to run 2 items into the aux jack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Is is OK to run 2 items into the aux jack?

Is it OK to run 2 things into the aux jack by using a 2 female into 1 male jack? Will it hurt anything, do any damage?

I have sirius radio, and I just got a new Garmin that has XM (and XM nav-traffic)

What I am currently doing is unplugging one unit and plugging in the other when I want to switch.

I dont want to do any damage to my aux input OR the sirius OR XM/GPS

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
i put an adapter so i can plug and run two things at the same time and everything runs perfectly fine. im running a radar and a blue led light

Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tork
Is it OK to run 2 things into the aux jack by using a 2 female into 1 male jack? Will it hurt anything, do any damage?

I have sirius radio, and I just got a new Garmin that has XM (and XM nav-traffic)

What I am currently doing is unplugging one unit and plugging in the other when I want to switch.

I dont want to do any damage to my aux input OR the sirius OR XM/GPS

Thanks in advance.
While it is usually OK to hook one output to two inputs at the same time, it is never OK to connect two outputs to one input at the same time. It might work for a while, but eventually you will damage the output circuits of your devices.

I'd wire a switch to swap between the two devices, or do a Google search for "passive mixer". A passive mixer can be constructed from a handful of resistors to help isolate one output from the other, but it is not ideal.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I uhh, actually have a 4 way splitter and am using all 4 (well, occaisonally use all 4, usually just 2 are on at a time though)...

I realize this may be a bit extreme, but I did however do it for years in my Insight with zero issues. My devices and my car all faired without issue.

It really depends on what you are using. I have a radar decector, a sirius radio, a tom tom gps & an iPod power adapter (the latter two I use less often). These devices don't have a huge amount off draw off the circiut.

I also have a 110v transformer which I do not use in the splitter (when I use it). The one time I tried in my Insight I killed the fuse that the splitter has. Fortunately the fuse did its job...

If you want to get a 2 way splitter get one with a fuse to be safe, but I would say if my 4 devices work ok, your two should work ok as well...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking the same thing. I highly doubt there will be any issues if you do a splitter. What I will be doing is getting a Y adapter wire it to isolating the 2 sources from each with a basic diode.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Most outputs are protected from feedback voltage from an accidental connection. They usually have diodes that will block the incoming voltage. With two devices connected at a time the voltage is testing this protection in the devices. When device A is playing, device b is having to deal with this incoming voltage. If the incoming voltage excedes the diode limit then you have a problem.

Will this happen with devices that use headphone level outputs? Doubtfull, but it may. Just keep that in mind.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fogglerus
While it is usually OK to hook one output to two inputs at the same time, it is never OK to connect two outputs to one input at the same time. It might work for a while, but eventually you will damage the output circuits of your devices.

I'd wire a switch to swap between the two devices, or do a Google search for "passive mixer". A passive mixer can be constructed from a handful of resistors to help isolate one output from the other, but it is not ideal.
This man speaks the truth. Keep everything safe by spending a few bucks and making a passive mixer.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
You can actually do three devices with this. It comes with a small selector switch for toggling between the devices:
JL Audio: Products

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Cool device, that's what I need.
You could mount the push button in the blank panel to the left of the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by radareclipse
You can actually do three devices with this. It comes with a small selector switch for toggling between the devices:
JL Audio: Products