Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Installing New Speakers (front and rear) in the Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Installing New Speakers (front and rear) in the Fit Sport

I am going to install a new set of component speakers in the front. I am wondering if anyone has advice on where to place the crossover. I am not particularly handy, so I don't want any major surgery.

It seemed to me that the best place might be inside the door panel on the opposite side of the storage tray from the speaker. The surface is not completely flat, but it seemed that most of the crossover would make contact in that spot. Where are some places other are putting them?

Also, am I ok to mount it with Velcro? or should i use something stronger like glue...?

When I hook it up, am i correct that i run the woofer wires into the crossover, and from the crossover to the new tweeter and woofer? do the old tweeter wires just sit there? should i do something with them?

Finally....If anyone is looking to install any new speakers in the fit, be aware that there is no true "fit" for the Fit. While Best Buy and Crutchfield say that 6.5s will match, you will have to drill new holes to get them in there...

ck

Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I installed a set of Kappa 6.5" components on my Fit and you are correct in the wiring, you would plug the wires that go into the Fit's OEM "woofer" (if you can call it that) into the component's crossover IN connection. Then the woofer and the tweeter to their corresponding connections on the crossover, make sure you got polarity correct all the way through!!

As for mounting the crossover my Kappa crossovers fit perfectly inside the metal door panel next to the speaker a little above them, you have to test fit and make sure that the door's hinge wich slides in and out of the door panel doesn't hit the crossover. I afixed the crossover to the door panel with mirror mastic glue, very strong permanent stuff. I wouldn't use velcro as it will shake around in there and possibly get loose, just make sure you connect everything right and make that installation permanent.

Finally, mounting the woofers themselves. The OEM brakets clip to the door panel with a metal tab that you can push in with a flat head screwdriver and pull the woofer out. What I did is cut out the OEM speaker from this plastic bracket and used a dremel to perfect the cuts. I used some rubber gasket material around the edge of the braket where the speaker would rest and I fastened the speaker to the braket with heavy tie wraps a some muscle. After that is was a matter of clipping the speaker back into the door panel like the OEM speaker. The FINAL step is to use a dremel and shave off the plastic lip that goes around the speaker grill behind the plastic door panel so that it doesn't rub up against your new woofer's rubber surround.

And, to prevet rattling noise from the plastic door panel rumbling against the metal door panel you can put some of the same rubber gasket material used to mount the speakers around the corner of the door panel.

Thats how I did it a few months ago and not a problem to date.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for your reply...

so, let me get this straight...did you mount the crossover in that cavity inside the door? so, you would take the speaker out to get to it, right? Is that area waterproof?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brek
thanks for your reply...

so, let me get this straight...did you mount the crossover in that cavity inside the door? so, you would take the speaker out to get to it, right? Is that area waterproof?
Yes you have to take the speaker out to get to it. I don't think its 100% waterproof but you shouldn't have any problems honestly.