Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Aftermarket headunit and lose console aux port

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Aftermarket headunit and lose console aux port

Is there a head unit that will still allow for aux port in console to be used? All head units I've research indicate aux port will be lost because new unit has one on face plate. Any plug from back of new unit to existing aux?
I hate to be left with old dead jack.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I know there are HU's that have AUX inputs... you could probably wire the AUX input from the new HU to the old AUX port in the console. Its just L/R signals... it'll probably work... but then it'd be a bitch to return the car to stock when you sell it.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Any pioneer model over 2900 has a rear aux port. And can be wired to the factory harness wires that go to the aux port. Alpine has an Aux In adapter that plugs in behind the head unit. You have a few options

Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 PM
My Kenwood head unit has stereo RCA ins on the back. I just need to fabricate a cable that changes stereo RCA to the three-wire plug on the factory aux input. Lazy...

Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
Ive done it before ok here are the wire colors

When you take out the center console and unplug the AUX plug you will need to get and rca and cut one side off.

next once you strip the with from the rca you will have an outer wire of the RCA and an inner.

Now once thats done with the outer *i guess you can call it sheliding wire twist them together and connect with you green wire on the green plug of the factory AUX plug.

Now with the center pins each pin will go to seprate wires one will be Red and one will be white after all said and done you have an RCA to plug in too the AUX of an after market deck.

how this helps some of you

thanks Ron

Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM
If I'm going to get an aftermarket h/u plus aux adapter what do the cables look like from the aux connection? Are they RCA at the end going into stock h/u? I'd hate to start cutting into aux wire to get it to work with new h/u.
I've looked at Pioneer/Blaupunkt and they have adapters with RCA to h/u connections.
Thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Just notice this looks like vtecboost's post oops i didn't see it but i am going to leave it just in case

An easy way to wire it up would be to buy a male to male wire from wal mart or something long enough to reach the back of the headunit to the back of the stock aux. wire. after installing the headunit having the male in plugged in take the other male end and cut it off and strip the wire to see the two wires seperate the two wires and connect them to the back of the aux. input, it should work. that way if you want to go back to stock just undo everything.

Last edited by SpoonSportFit; 10-03-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: noticed it looked like someone else's post i skipped over the first time
Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FrogDaddy
If I'm going to get an aftermarket h/u plus aux adapter what do the cables look like from the aux connection? Are they RCA at the end going into stock h/u? I'd hate to start cutting into aux wire to get it to work with new h/u.
I've looked at Pioneer/Blaupunkt and they have adapters with RCA to h/u connections.
Thanks.
Regardless, you're going to have to splice into the AUX port and wire something if you want to upgrade and use your aux port. Otherwise, you're just gonna have to have a wire hanging around some where that goes to your new HU just so you dont have to splice, but then it looks ugly. Sacrifices.

Personally, if I was you. I only see 2 options. Using either a signal processor and getting amps and still retain the stock radio, or buying an aftermarket HU with an aux input and just have it hang by my foot on the floor until I needed it.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
One way you can do it is replace the original aux jack with a 3.5m Female to Female jack and the headunit has to support a rear aux jack. You just have to connect the rear aux jack to the new 3.5mm female to female jack and you are set. That's what I did on my car and I also have a few of these 3.5mm female to female jacks available for $8 shipped USPS First Class (2-5 Business days).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nput-jack.html

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have lots of options.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Here's a question: I know I can cut the factory harness behind the aux jack, and make an adapter to stereo RCA's (as per vtecboost's post), but if I want to avoid taking out the console, can I tie in behind the radio? In other words, does anyone know where the green, white, and red wires in the console end up in the factory radio harness?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I would assume in that extra plug the stock radio had. It is a smallish plug that you leave unplugged when you do an aftermarket deck. I say this because there were no other plugs going into the head unit and the other plug is all used up with power, speakers, lights, etc. I'd assume the smaller one also has the VSS signal (vehicle speed) that the stock radio used to control the speed sensitive volume.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Yes i know where it is its in the smaller plug behind the radio and also if your looking for the VSS wire its in the bigger plug behind the radio

Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Would it be possible to wire the original stock aux cable to a male 3.5mm headphone jack to plug directly into my after market deck that has a aux in behind the deck?

Possible? And should I look out for anything? Has anyone done this to theirs?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Sure is possible

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I thought thats what people already do... just simple electrical signals

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
Sure is possible
can you elaborate???

Old 03-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Just need to tap into the 3 wires on the OEM harness and splice in a 3.5mm jack. Or if yo have an aftermarket head unit allready, you can just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug directly in and leave the wire accessible wherever you want it

Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
that sounds really easy im saving this thread.i just ordered my aftermarket deck yay