Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Neo iOn/ProLink for iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Neo iOn/ProLink for iPod integration

- Preface -
I'm in search of a good iPod solution for my new '07 Fit Sport, and I plan on writing down everything I know and everything I did just in case someone can benefit from them. Please pitch in to the thread if you have any more useful information.

Previously, I had a '04 Maxda RX-8, and the steering wheel iPod controller was the best thing ever. Aux input on Fit is good, but I'm willing to spend a few hundred in order to get the control on the HU as well as charging + auto pause and start upon stopping the car. If you think this is a stupid decision, you can click the back arrow.

- Product -
The product I'm looking to get is from Neo Car Audio, which is also known as Mp3YourCar.com. According to the sales manager than I'm on the phone with right now, there are two available integration products from them for '07 Fit: ProLink V1 and ProLink V2
Both connect to the back of your stereo and deliver the sound through the wires, not FM. Since it's connected directly to the stereo, we can use the controls on HU to skip and pause the songs while leaving iPod in the glove box. Unlike MusicLink, these products to not lock up the iPod UI, so that you can choose songs on iPod. Also unlike MusicLink, ProLink V1 is capable of displaying text on the HU. Read on.

- Naming issues -
The product I purchased for RX-8 was called "Neo iOn". However, what was actually shipped was "Dension IceLink", another popular model during late '05. As far as I can tell, what happened is that Dension makes the actual parts, and Neo is just a contractor who re-brands the product. Confusingly, they advertised and charged me for "Neo iOn" but they didn't bother to peel off the "Dension IceLink" sticker on the delivered product as well as sending me Dension's product manual. In order to add more confusion, Neo Car Audio likes to change the name of their products around. They not only have two websites, they offer two versions of a same product as if they're totally different things on each of the website. Also, ProLink used to be called iOn, iOn-1, iOn kit, iOn adapter, and many other things. By the fact that their website calls it many different things on a single page, I think they're pretty confused themselves =D. The sale rep told me that they're trying to phase out "iOn", so I'll call them ProLink V1 and ProLink V2 on this thread.

- ProLink V1 vs ProLink V2 -
They're both $199. Unlike ProLink V2, ProLink V1 can display text from iPod onto the HU if the HU has a satellite capability. Now, here's my question to you guys. Does our HU have a satellite port? If we do, through ProLink V1, we can get the tags from iPod to display on the screen. However, I was told by the sales rep that Neo Car Audio experienced many bugs on ProLink V1's text support, and they completely took it out on ProLink V2. So in a way, ProLink V2 is newer and more solid-built version that lacks the text display. They both work through cd-changer port(optionally satellite port for ProLink V1), so we can still get them even if it turns out that we don't have a satellite radio port. Other than the text support, they behave identically. I'll wait on you guys to give me an answer on the availability of a satellite port then go on with the purchase.

- Sport vs Base -
Sales rep said they tested on the stereo of the "whatever base model of the car". I have a Sport and I'm not even sure if the stereos differ. Since ProLink works on almost all Honda, I'm guessing that they'll work on Base if there's a cd-changer port. Does anyone want to confirm that for me?

- Steering wheel control -
If our steering wheel had the stereo controller on the left side, we would be able to control our iPod with the steering wheel controller using ProLink as I did on my previous RX-8. This is the sweetest thing ever. I'm keeping my eye on the sticky thread about it.

- TBA -
As soon as someone tells me if our HU has a satellite port or not, and as soon as someone could point me out a good guide for taking out the stereo, I'll go ahead and make a complete installation guide for this little guy. I wonder if this thread will make it to be sticky someday lol.

Last edited by calvinpark; 08-06-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
- More naming issues -
So it turns out that www.neocaraudio.com and www.mp3yourcar.com are not the same company although they sell the same product. On top of that, there's yet another name for the product, "USA SPEC". For some reason, USA SPEC is sold for cheaper price($120 in some places), and they're identical products. Neo Car Audio representative says that customers of Neo will get better service than USA SPEC's.

- ProLink V1 is discontinued -
ProLink V1 had too many bugs and Neo Car Audio will no longer sell them.

*Nobody* is interested in stereo ipod integration for $200? I guess the lack of steering wheel control is a real big turnoff..

Last edited by calvinpark; 08-16-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Hey, at least I appreciate all the work. Sadly, I dont own a Fit ... YET

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Great writeups. Any pics or actual installation?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
So I'm not alone on this. Right on.

So I decided to go with "iOn" aka "ProLink V2" aka "USA SPEC PA11–HON2y".

On the sticky iPod thread, I saw some postings about people going to Circuit City for this. I went to my local one yesterday and they only had FM modulator ones, so retail route is out of the question for me.

Now, I have a choice between getting the product from "USA SPEC" the original manufacturer for $150 @ crutchfield, or mp3yourcar.com for $200. Since mp3yourcar.com is offering me free shpping, I might be able to justify the difference in cost for better service in case things go wrong. They had good service on my previous purchase, and so far they were very helpful over the phone.

Mean while, I looked around the forum for a good DYI manual and ended up with a service manual: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm
I've never taken apart a stereo before, and I'm not about to try it on my new car either. So, I'm talking to one of my stereo-savvy friends to see when he'd be available.

So at the moment, I'm waiting to make an arrangement to show my friend the service manual and get his availability. Once that's set and done, I'll go ahead and put in the order from one of the providers. Has anyone had previous experience with USA SPEC?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
With many recommendations, I ordered the unit from crutchfield, and it'll arrive sometime next week. I'm not planning on creating a full-on DYI manual, so if there are specific pictures you'd like to see(shape of the connector perhaps), put in the request.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
my question is why would you spend so much for ipod intergration? look on ebay or around at some of the honda accesorie stores on the web you can pick up honda's music link for less than 200. and if you do some research, honda hosts a diy on how to install their music link which shows you how to get to the stereo. the only advice i have is try to get ahold of a long, slim flat head screwdriver, if possible magnatized as well. there will be two bolts youll have to get at way up behind the hu that i found a bit tricky with the screwdriver i had.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Musiclink locks up the iPod screen, limiting the control to what they provide. And from the reviews I see, Musiclink version of control scheme isn't quite the best. Unlike Musiclink, ProLink lets you use iPod screen to control the music as well as providing its own control scheme. If theirs suck, I can just use the original iPod control.

ProLink from crutchfield was 150, which seems to be around the price you suggested for Musiclink. I just prefer ProLink, so I went with that.

Thanks for the installation tip. My "stereo" friend is actually semi-professional so he should have all the tools necessary. Input still appreciated.

*append*
Here is a detailed negative review about Musiclink which was one of the many negative reviews about the product: http://nuxx.net/wiki/Honda_Music_Lin...Adapter_Review
At the end of the review, there is a section where the author suggests ProLink(USA SPEC PA11-HON2) over Musiclink.

Last edited by calvinpark; 08-22-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
To itfits12:
My hat's off to you. I just can't get those two damn screws out. I guess I'll have to spend more to have someone do it for me.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by calvinpark
To itfits12:
My hat's off to you. I just can't get those two damn screws out. I guess I'll have to spend more to have someone do it for me.
you need extended socket wrench to take out those 2 screws,i'ts the hardest part,heres the picture of the socket wrench i used,it's about 6 inches,it will make your life easier.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 AM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
im nit sure you should have someone do it just get a 1/4 extension like above or a longer screwdriver. but just think magnatized. it took me more time finding the bolts after i got them loose than getting them there.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
It is finally installed!
I ended up using a ratchet with an extender bar. Reaching for the screws was still a challenge even with the right tools.