Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

I need some advice from my fellow Iced Fitsters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm looking for some input/advice please

I've got the following set-up in my Milano Red Auto Sport
-Pioneer 5900ib head unit (metra dash kit)
-5.25" JL Audio VR525CSI VR Series Component Speakers in front doors (tried the 6.25" Focal Access 165A but they didn't fit : (
-Alpine 70x4 amp
-JL Audio 10" subwoofer (220 watts) in sealed box
-Alpine M-450 Mono Amp for the sub
**-rear stock speakers**
I mainly listen to Heavy Metal and some Hard Rock

I think the sound is terrific. I was a bit bummed about going with the 5.25 components instead of the 6.25 Focals but the install was already 1/2 way done and I figured that these JL's would be decent replacements. Yeah, I know I could've gotten other 6.5's that did fit but I like JL audio....maybe I screwed up but at least I never actually had to hear how good the Focals were in person or else I would probably have just paid the extra $300 for the installers to fabricate an opening in the door big enough to accomodate them.....
ANYWAY, my question concerns the rear speakers. The installers said that they would basically give the rears abot two-four months of life based on the power coming their way. That said, would you guys recommend that I put in aftermarket rears? I rarely have passengers in the back so it would be for me in the front. Would aftermarket rears compensate for my having gone down to 5.25's in the front rather than finding 6.5's that would fit?
I've heard some people say to forget about rears altogether but I just don't know. Also, If I do the rears, I'd like to do the install myself so just wondering if they would be something a novice could install.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions.
Gregg

Last edited by Redheart; 06-06-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Rear speakers in a 'textbook' ICE install are for rear fill only. You should not acutally hear them but use them to give some 'rear fill' to the sound you hear from your drivers seat.

It will take too long to explain how a system should be set up to competition standard and from the questions you ask, you are a newbie to the world of ICE.

No rear speakers will compensate for what is lacking from the front speakers.

It's like asking, damn I wore shorts today and it's cold, maybe I put on a sweater and it'll make my legs warmer....

Bottom line, you set up the car to how you like your music. Your car, your music, set it up how you want.

Al.