Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sub Box That Fits

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Sub Box That Fits

No pun intended. This box is made by Sonapower, their BASS10 box. It holds two 10" subs and is sealed. They make a ported box, but that would be too boomy in that small of a hatchback. I am showing two ways it could be mounted.

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 01-24-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
that box has a ton of airspace.. whats the cubic feet on that beast?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I think it's 3 cubic feet.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
kinda big...but i like your choice of spray wax

Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
i have fit a 18" sub in the back with 3 cubes of space inside of the box.

and still had more then enough room to the right or left of the box.

i have also put 2 12" subs that had almost 5 cubes of space.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Wow that box takes up a lot of space. I'm using a Bassworx sealed 12 inch box and it fits nicely behind the passenger rear seat.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
That looks alright, but I always advocate building a custom box, designed around your subwoofer's specifications. Doing so not only saves money, but it optimizes your sub's sound quality and output.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
No pun intended. This box is made by Sonapower, their BASS10 box. It holds two 10" subs and is sealed. They make a ported box, but that would be too boomy in that small of a hatchback. I am showing two ways it could be mounted.

The ported box would sound no more "boomy" than the sealed box. Whoever told you that is sadly, misinformed. A ported box will have a peak around the tuning frequency which would make it a bit louder than the sealed box, typically 3db but that is nowhere near a concrete number. It really is a personal choice on ported vs sealed....

Boomyness can usually be attributed to a poorly designed box for the drivers specs, usually a box too large for the speakers in question. This is one reason why it is much better to have a box designed and built for your vehicle. I used to sell box designs on another forum but I found it was taking up way too much of my free time, but if any of you guys wants one I wouldnt mind helping out. Here is some of my work just to show ya I'm not full of crap.

A ported box is normally louder but will decrease loudness much quicker as you go away from tuning. The sealed box normally has a much flatter response, but I personally find a flat response sounds... welll flat. Music is dynamic and should be listened to as such.

Personally I build my own sub boxes and will be doing so for my Fit in the near future, but if any of you guys is interested in getting one built by a professional to fit your needs you should contact B.J. @ Fisher Customs. His work is great and his prices are even better.

Fisher Cusoms: A Leader Car Audio Fabrication

Last edited by lilmaniac2; 02-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
The reason I prefer sealed boxes is that the subs tend to be a lot tighter sounding with more precision than a ported box. Maybe it's all subjective and based on personal taste.

I've had both sealed and ported sub setups. Ported always seemed to put out more bass, depending on size and power, but I felt it was imprecise and loose sounding. Whereas the sealed box had better response and felt tighter.

Make sense?

I'm not what I would call a bass-head or a tweeter-head. I prefer a very realistic sound stage and presence. I don't really like it weighted too much in either direction. I listen to a lot of acoustic and live recordings, not rap. And I don't really want everyone in a 3 block radius to feel my bass coming down the street. But I want to feel like I'm right there in front of the musicians.

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 02-03-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
The reason I prefer sealed boxes is that the subs tend to be a lot tighter sounding with more precision than a ported box. Maybe it's all subjective and based on personal taste.

I've had both sealed and ported sub setups. Ported always seemed to put out more bass, depending on size and power, but I felt it was imprecise and loose sounding. Whereas the sealed box had better response and felt tighter.

Make sense?

I'm not what I would call a bass-head or a tweeter-head. I prefer a very realistic sound stage and presence. I don't really like it weighted too much in either direction. I listen to a lot of acoustic and live recordings, not rap. And I don't really want everyone in a 3 block radius to feel my bass coming down the street. But I want to feel like I'm right there in front of the musicians.

Makes perfect sense. A sealed box does tend to have a bit punchier response, and like you said its all subjective, just thought I'd give you a little insight into what a ported box could do. Sealed is perfectly fine if your happy with output

Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
There goes your cargo area.

Someone should seriously make a small sub box that retain as much cargo space as possible for the FIT.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ImPuLsIvE.ca
There goes your cargo area.

Someone should seriously make a small sub box that retain as much cargo space as possible for the FIT.
Thats actually what I'm waiting on... there is a company out of mooresville NC called Stereo Integrity, they are making a very low weight, low box driver called the Magnum. It is the 3rd generation of the sub and has been completely redesigned to work good for people like us who want the best bang for the lb. You can check out some details on the new sub, along with it's little brother the even smaller bm that takes less than a cube total to work effectively .

New BM information - SSA:

Click to learn about the new Mag - SSA: